Boxing Prop Bets
by Scotty L of Predictem.com
prop bets are wagers where you must make more specific choices than simply which fighter will win a fight or how long the fight will last. Proposition bets allow you to bet on different aspects of a fight. The bigger the fight, the more prop bets will be available. Let’s look at the different prop bets:
Bets on the Nature of the Fight
Prop bets include wagers on whether something will happen or not happen in a given boxing match. Each side of the bet is represented by a money line (odds). Here are some of the different ones you will see.
1. Will there be a knockdown in the fight? In this bet, you simply decide if either fighter will get officially knocked down. If at any point, one of the fighters is administered a count by the referee, that is a knockdown. It must be recognized by the referee to be counted as an official knockdown.
2. Will the fight go the distance? In this wager, you are betting if the fight lasts for the scheduled duration of the bout. If you bet “yes,” your bet is a winner if both fighters make it to the final bell, regardless of who wins. If for any reason the fight does not last its scheduled distance, you lose.
3. Will there be a point deduction? In this wager, you are picking whether or not the referee will deduct a point from either fighter during the course of the bout. Point deductions are easy for viewers to see, as the referee calls “time out” and signals to each judge that a point has been deducted.
4. Will the fight go to a decision? This is different than the prop bet of whether a fight goes the distance. A decision can be announced anytime after four rounds in the event of an injury resulting from an accidental foul. If you bet that a fight will go to a decision, you win the bet if the judges’ scorecards decide the fight, whether it is after the 12th round or a technical decision that occurs before the bout has reached its scheduled distance. Which fighter wins has no bearing.
5. Will there be a knockout in the fight? In this bet, any result other than a judge’s decision counts as a knockout. Who wins is not important. If the fight ends in a knockout where the referee counts to ten, the referee stops the fight with the fighter still standing, or a fighter quits in his corner, it is considered a knockout. For betting purposes, a knockout is also deemed to have occurred if a boxer’s trainer stops the fight at any point, whether it is during the round or in the corner. An injury not sustained as a result of an accidental foul that results in a capitulation is also considered a knockout. A disqualification is also recognized as a knockout.
6. Will the fight be a draw? You can only bet that the fight will be a draw, not that it won’t be. If you bet on a draw, you can win if at the end of the fight, the decision is scored a draw. In addition, you can win the bet if the bout is terminated early and sent to the scorecards and scored a draw. A normal draw and technical draw both count as draws.
BET BOXING PROPS AT THE MOST TRUSTED SPORTSBOOK ONLINE: BOVADA
Prop Bets on Individual Fighters
1. How a fighter will win: In these bets, you must select a winner and specify how he will win. You have two choices. Here is an example of a recent fight:
Manny Pacquiao by KO, TKO, or DQ: +120
Manny Pacquiao by decision: +120
Miguel Cotto by KO, TKO, or DQ: +300
Miguel Cotto by decision: +240
In the above example, you must choose the fighter and how he will win the fight. For the fighter you picked to merely win is not enough, but he must win by the manner in which you bet on to win your bet.
2. Individual Round Wagers: Some of the more popular and daring prop bets are where you pick the exact round a fighter will win in. You are not only predicting what round the fight will end, but also which fighter will be victorious. These bets are offered at large odds, and bettors often make several if not many different selections. If a fight is stopped between rounds, the bout will be ruled as having ended in the previous round. For example if you pick a fighter to win in the 8th round and his opponent quits in his corner before the beginning of the 9th round, you win your bet.
Prop bets are a great way to make some easy cash if your super familiar with the fighters involved. The sportsbook with the most boxing prop offerings is 5Dimes and they accept credit cards to fund your wagering account as well!
Each week, Big Scotty L makes picks on upcoming boxing matches in an attempt to make a punching bag out of his bookie. Scotty is a GREAT boxing handicapper who offers tremendous insight on the fights and his knowledge isn't just limited to boxing matches in the USA. He has a broad knowledge of international fights as well.
Follow Scotty each week as he previews the best fights of the week. These fight previews can be found in the center section of this page. Good luck!
Bovada Sportsbook - Bet fights using your Visa card and to get generous sign up bonus at one of the internet's best places to wager on boxing.
MyBookie - Bet on fights using your credit card at one of the web's best betting sites! They're one of the best at getting Visa cards to work for deposits. They'll also add a generous 50% welcoming bonus too!
Boxing Betting Rules - Clear cut definitions of how the sportsbooks grade fights to determine if your bet is a winner or a loser. Two big questions are "what if the fight was a draw?" and "what if I have an over/under rounds bet and the fight ends early?" We have all the answers!
Best Pound for Pound Fighters - Who are the top 10 best pound for pound boxers of all time? Scotty L gives his picks.
Fight Records of Past Boxing Greats - Wins, losses, draws and Ko's of some of the best boxers to ever step foot in the ring. Sugar Ray Robinson, Cassius Clay, Rocky Marciano and more!
Famous Boxing Quotes - Funny, inspirational, and great sayings from Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and more!
Muhammad Ali Biography - The life story of the greatest fighter of all time from his childhood to his last bout at age 39.
What is a TKO? - Scotty explains what the TKO is in boxing and all the different ways that a fighter can win by the technical knockout.