Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's been canned or quit or asked nicely to leave....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been canned or quit or asked nicely to leave....

Arkansas
    Houston Nutt
    Why: Will not return
    When: Nov. 26
    Record: 75-48
    Rap: Arkansas won the SEC West in 2006 and beat No. 1 LSU to finish the regular season 8-4 this year, but the turmoil swirling around Nutt for the past two seasonsmake this less of a surprise than one might expect. Candidates: Jim Grobe, Tommy Tuberville, Chris Petersen, Bo Pelini, Gary Patterson, Mike Leach, Butch Davis, Brian Kelly
    Complete coverage: HawgSports.com

Baylor
    Guy Morriss
    Why: Fired
    When: Nov. 18
    Record: 18-40 (7-33 Big 12) over five seasons
    Rap: A day before Morriss was fired, the Bears finished their 12th consecutive losing season with their 12th straight Big 12 loss. Morriss was unable to produce a winning record in his five seasons, going 18-40 overall and 7-33 in conference games. He had a year left on his contract. Candidates: Art Briles, Chris Petersen, Paul Johnson, Terry Bowden, Larry Fedora
    The Buzz: Mike Singletary was probably their first choice but he pulled his name from consideration to stay in the NFL. Art Briles will interview for the job, according to the Houston Chronicle.
    Complete coverage: SicEmSports.com

Colorado State
    Sonny Lubick
    Why: Announced he will not return (lmao....asked nicely to leave more like it)
    When: Nov. 27 Candidates: TBA

Duke
    Ted Roof
    Record: 6-45
    Rap: Roof won just one game the last two seasons and had not won an ACC game since 2004. Candidates: Steve Logan, Chan Gailey, Gary Crowton, Charlie Weatherbie, Mike O'Cain, Paul Johnson, Rod Broadway, Turner Gill.
    Complete coverage: DevilsIllustrated.com

Georgia Tech
    Chan Gailey
    Record: 44-32
    Rap: Gailey went 7-5 this season after winning a division title a year ago. While he never had a losing season and took the Jackets to a bowl every year, he also never beat Georgia. Candidates: Rick Neuheisel, Randy Edsall, Will Muschamp, Skip Holtz, Jimbo Fisher.
    Complete coverage: JacketsOnLine.com

Michigan
    Lloyd Carr
    Why: Retired
    When: Nov. 18
    Record: 121-40 (81–23 Big Ten) in 13 seasons
    Rap: Carr's winning percentage over 13 seasons was the seventh best among active coaches and included a national championship and five Big Ten titles, but not enough victories against Ohio State to satisfy Wolverines fans, who watched Carr lose six of the last seven games against the Buckeyes and four in a row. Candidates: Les Miles, Brian Kelly, Cam Cameron, Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Mike Trgovac.
    The Buzz: The speculation has been that this is Miles' job to lose, and the buzz will only get louder now that LSU is out of the national title picture.
    Complete coverage: TheWolverine.com

Ole Miss
    Ed Orgeron
    When: Nov. 24
    Record: 10-25 in three seasons.
    Rap: Orgeron was fired a day after the Rebels lost 17-14 to rival Mississippi State to finish 3-9 and winless in the Southeastern Conference for the first time since 1982. Off the field, Ole Miss was embarrassed by the disciplining of 20 players who stole from hotels the Rebels were staying in on Friday nights. "I told him that the chasm had grown too deep to go forward into next year," Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone said.
    New coach Houston Nutt
    When: Nov. 27
    Rap: Nutt led Arkansas to eight bowl games in 10 years and now will face the Razorbacks every year in the SEC West.
    Complete coverage: RebelSports.net

Nebraska
    Bill Callahan
    When: Nov. 24
    Record: 27-22 in four seasons.
    Rap: The move was expected after the Huskers finished 5-7 with a 65-51 loss at Colorado, a game in which they squandered an 11-point halftime lead by allowing 34 consecutive points. Callahan led the Huskers to their only two losing seasons since 1962. Candidates: Turner Gill, Bo Pelini, Jim Grobe, Paul Johnson, Brian Kelly, former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez.
    The Buzz: No one knows for sure what new AD Tom Osborne is thinking. Kelly is the latest name to be mentioned but he has also been linked to the Michigan opening.
    Complete coverage: HuskersIllustrated.com

Northern Illinois
    Joe Novak
    Why: Retired
    Record: 63-75
    Rap: Novak lost 23 in a row early in his tenure but built the Huskies back into a team that boasted seven straight winning seasons from 2000-06. Candidates: Scott Shafer, Mike Hagan, Mike Locksley, Mike Haywood, Pat Narduzzi, Jerry Kill.

Southern Miss
    Jeff Bower
    Record: 119-82-1
    Rap: Bower was told he would not be returning despite leading the Golden Eagles to a 14th consecutive winning season. Candidates: Larry Fedora, Will Muschamp, Major Applewhite, Matt Viator
    Complete coverage: EagleTalk.net

SMU
    Phil Bennett
    When: Oct. 28
    Record: 18-48
    Rap: SMU us still searching for its first bowl berth since receiving the NCAA's death penalty in 1987. Candidates: Chan Gailey, Terry Bowden, Paul Johnson, Jon Tenuta, Major Applewhite.
    Complete coverage: MustangManiacs.com

Texas A&M
    Dennis Franchione
    Why: Resigned
    When: Nov. 23
    Record: 32-28 in five seasons.
    Rap: A reputed rebuilder of programs, Franchione finished a mediocre 32-28 at A&M, far short of the expectations when he replaced R.C. Slocum in December 2002. Off the field, Franchione was caught this season selling inside information about the program to big-money boosters in a secret newsletter. By then, it was only a matter of time before the divorce became final. New coach: Mike Sherman
    Rap: Sherman was an assistant at Texas A&M in the 1990s before moving on to the NFL. Complete coverage: AggieYell.com

Washington State
    Bill Doba
    Record: 30-29
    Rap: The Cougars were 10-3 in Doba's first season, including a 28-20 win over Texas in the Holiday Bowl. They are 20-26 since. Candidates: Mike Price, Chris Petersen, Paul Wulff, Ed Orgeron, John L. Smith, Bob Gregory, Pat Hill.
    Complete coverage: CougZone
    Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-29-2007, 12:34 AM.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post

Georgia Tech
    Chan Gailey
    Record: 44-32
    Rap: Gailey went 7-5 this season after winning a division title a year ago. While he never had a losing season and took the Jackets to a bowl every year, he also never beat Georgia. Candidates: Rick Neuheisel, Randy Edsall, Will Muschamp, Skip Holtz, Jimbo Fisher.
    Complete coverage: JacketsOnLine.com
    This should have happened 2 years ago!! In addition to never beating Georgia, the Jackets never finished in the top 25 under Gailey.....

When O'leary was here, the Jackets beat Georgia i believe 4 out of 5 years or 3 out of 4 years...can't remember... but I know it was better than under Gailey....Also, GT finished in the top 25 quite a few times under O'leary...we don't ask for much down here from our Jackets in football....just be a top 25 team and beat UGA atleast every other year!!!!:bang:

Comment

Good info FF. No Joker Phillips on anyone's radar, huh? That surprises me with the success the Kentucky offense has enjoyed the past few seasons.

Comment

Art Briles (former Houston coach) hired today at Baylor.....this quote is classic.....

"Life is full of decisions. Sometimes, you have to look at things from a professional, personal standpoint," Briles said. "Professionally, (Houston) ... is great university with a situation I'm proud to be a part of. Personally, the move allows a person of my nature a little more security. When you're getting up in my age, that's an important factor in life."

The Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site that Briles will get a seven-year contract for about $1.8 million per season. Briles, who turns 52 Monday, had four years left on his Houston contract with a base salary of $900,000 annually

lmao......ie....I know the Baylor job sucks ass and i know you are all wondering why i would ever head to the absolute graveyard of coaching jobs and i probably won't sniff athletes like i was even getting at Houston...but....
        Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Baylor AD.....
          So Art....what will it take to get you to Baylor

Art....
          I don't know. Houston ... is great university with a situation I'm proud to be a part of.

Baylor AD.....
          Art, we will double your current salary and give you a 7 year deal. What do you say?

Art.....
          Guess I am the new Head Coach of the Baylor Bears!!!!
          If it ain't fun, don't do it!

Comment

Tell these rumor mills to stay away from Tubbs and Muschamp! Take Borges...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!:beer2:

Comment

Greg Robinson (SYR) has been invited back to coach that mess of a team for another season. I thought for sure he would be canned.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                Greg Robinson (SYR) has been invited back to coach that mess of a team for another season. I thought for sure he would be canned.
                must be something to that.... maybe he has some dirt on the Athletic director?

Comment

Not canned, but extended was Dave Wannstedt at Pitt today.

Yet another dark day for the Pitt program.

Comment

UCLA- Karl Duhhhhh-rell will be canned Monday. No surprise there. But UCLA is the cheapest school in the nation and they will wind up with somebody equally bad.
                    Last edited by FlyersFan; 12-03-2007, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Arkansas rumored to be courting Tommy Bowden

Comment

some serious scrambling going on here....

CLE- reups Bowden

LSU- reups Miles. good deal for Miles as his value will be zero after OSU kicks his ass in 4 weeks.....:party:

GTECH- signs Navy's Paul Johnson. Great hire, IMO from at least a coaching perspecitve. You never know how he can recruit coming from a service academy.

crapchigan- Schiano turns them down to "win a national championship at Rutgers...:laughing: (sorry birds....lol). Michigan job must not be as appealing as we all think. Or Schiano didn't want the pressure of having to win every year. Maybe nobody thinks they can beat tressel.....:thumbs:

ARK- spurned by WFU coach yesterday. They had been courting Tubberville but that is a no go now. Seems like this is another job that may not be as high on people's priority list as Hogs AD might have thunk.

AUB- reups Tubberville for another 2 more years.

It's funny how this process goes. If you throw your hat into the ring of any other major program, you end up getting a contract extension and more coin from your current school. These guys act like it is such "a pain" to be rumored for these jobs, but in reality they have to love it. They get more coin in the end.
                        Last edited by FlyersFan; 12-07-2007, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Nothing about Notre Dame? something has to be done there, I dunno what.. but something
                          Last Wager placed 01/11/09 - Loss
                          Taking a sabbatical from wagering

Comment

Originally posted by USFMD82 View Post
                            Nothing about Notre Dame? something has to be done there, I dunno what.. but something
                            there will be nothing done about ND this year, IMO. They just gave him a long long long term extension and it would cost them too much to buy him out at this point. I think they will see how next season goes with everyone being back and the new recruiting class. If they are a sub .500 team next year (unless the record doesn't indicate how well they played or they are showing mass improvement), i don't see how you can keep the guy. He will have been there for 4 years at that point. But for now, he is the guy and they are going to roll with him.

Comment

Originally posted by USFMD82 View Post
                              Notre Dame? I know it was a bad year, but Weis also reeled in a lot of money the last 2 years taking them to BCS bowls. And recruiting at ND has been up. I think pressure will be on next year, though, to at least get to a bowl game. I personally think Claussen is not the answer there. This new transfer they're getting, Dane Crist, may be the starter next year. They also better hope these recruits on the OL pan out. The O-line is what makes Weis' offense works more than anything. And this year it was miserable.
                              2011 NCAA Football ATS: 13-4-1
                              2011 NFL: 11-3-2

Support the troops

Comment

Working...
                              X