????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ????

I need some help from the NASCAR faithful here.
    After that almost tragic crash this past Sunday C.Edwards was quoted as sayin that because of the no passing below the yellow line that they (drivers) would keep racing that way until somebody was killed.
    That point hasn't been revisited, in all the coverage I've seen, and I'm confused.
    I keep hearing that the catch fences will be re-evaluated and that's great but the catch fences aren't the reason the crash occurred. What I mean is that the logical approach to solving a problem is recognizing the cause(s) and the correcting them. (that reminds me of the Pailin/Biden debate in which Pailin remarked that she wasn't "here to discuss the causes" when the topic of global warming was brought up. Huh??? How do you solve a problem without going to the root of the cause???) The catch fence didnt cause the crash. IMO, the reasons for that crash being so violent are two. 1)restrictor plate racing and 2)the no-pass rule.
    Considering the effort (financially and regulatory speaking) to change restrictor plate racing (which will probably never happen) as opposed to the relative ease of a rule change seems to be a no-brainer.
    Instead I hear today NASCAR officials blame the drivers!!!!
    'Aint that a kick in the pants.
    Keslowski and Edwards did exactly what they were supposed to do. Win the race within the context of the rules. If Brian dips below that yellow line all the time and money and effort goes to waste. If Carl doesnt try everything within his power to win he has some serious questions to answer from his owner and crew.
    Blame the drivers?
    Why is this the only track/race that doesnt allow drivers to dip below the yellow line?
    To me thats the reason tragedy almost ensued. If Brian is allowed to dip a little maybe he clips the rear of Carl, loosens him up, and although a crash may have happened anyway its my belief that the resulting "clipping" would be far less violent than the running "through" Carl to avoid the yellow line.
    Why is the possibility of making a simple rule change being swept under the rug???
    :conf:

Please correct any and all misconceptions I may have. I am fairly new to the racing scene and really would like to hear the opinions of long time NASCAR followers.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mNbAjiwZBPk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mNbAjiwZBPk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    ...toke on...

There is no driver on this earth that likes a restricted plate race. Not even the late great Dale Sr. They have said for years we are going to get killed with the side by side racing. But the race got boring and the speeds got way out of hand so NASCAR said this way was safer.

Carl Edwards was to blame for his own wreck. His spotter screwed up and did not tell him that Brad had ducked under him. If Brad would have avoided the wreck he would have gone under the yellow line and put back to the last position on the lead lap.

So here is the reason for it.

Restrictor plates are used at Daytona and Talladega to combat the high speeds at NASCAR's two fastest tracks. The plates typically keep the field bunched tightly together, and fans usually see cars racing three- or four-wide. All it takes is one mistake to lead to massive pileups dubbed the Big One.

Hope that helps

Oh yeah NASCAR never blames NASCAR for mistakes they make. They blame it on the drivers then change the rules the next week one hundred times a day.

Cant dip below the Yellow line at Daytona either. The track is flatter down there and it will cause you to fly up the banking when trying to get back on the banking

Explains why the rules where changed.
    NASCAR.COM - Edwards' last-lap crash similar to Allison's in '87 - Apr 27, 2009

But Bobby's car did the same thing Edwards did
    Last edited by Queen; 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM.
    NFL 2-0. Week 1
    Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

Working...
    X