Clarification on the "Round Robin" please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on the "Round Robin" please

This situation is highly hypothetical, and only being asked for clarification purposes

I may still be a bit confused about how the round robin is advantageous. I used to think in my head, that if I was decent enough, and was hitting more then half of my bets. why not round robin them? so here comes the confusion lets say IM betting as the predict em suggests 3 games round robin. risking $300 to possibly win 780

Doing simple math, if you win all 3 games straight up you end up with 580 (standard -110)

Now that seems a decent enough pay off practically doubling your bet over only 3 teams sucks if one loses, but then your pretty much back where you started and then some.

Is there some quick way to see this over a larger number of games (keeping the 2 team setup. lets say I wanted to do it with 8 teams 2 ways, and I happened to pick 5 teams correctly, am I gonna come out ahead in that or behind?

Its late and I may be missing something that may be embarrassingly simple, I jsut was listening to a guy who talked about the round robin being the greatest tool available to bettors, I think money management is a far better tool but what do I know!

Thanks and agian sorry if this is really elementary and I just completely misunderstood something
    Last Wager placed 01/11/09 - Loss
    Taking a sabbatical from wagering

Jerbeek is the kind of the round robin. I'll give him a shout and see if he can answer this.

Comment

I play round robins usually as a small side play to my straight plays. The problem with Round Robins are that you need to hit a high % for them to pay off but if you do then you will have a much larger payout than the straight plays. If you hit 50% or even a little above that then you will lose a significant amount. I think if you are playing the 2 team combos then you need to hit 60% to breakeven. If you above 60% then it starts paying well. For example if you play the 2 team combo with 5 teams you will have 10 bets. If you go 3-2 you will win 3 of them and will be a small winner but if you go 4-1 you will hit 6 of the parlays for a nice payday. If you go 5-0 then you will win all 10 parlays for a great payoff with minimal risk.

During the bowl season I really liked 12 plays so I took all the 3 team combos and played them for $1/way. There were 220 combos. I ended up hitting 7 of 12 and broke even. The bad thing for me was I hit 7 of the first 10 (35 parlays were in the bag). I was in great shape if I could have hit 1 more. Just by winning 1 of those games I would win additional 21 parlays for a nice payday but of course they both lost.

If you are a streaky player you may be better off by playing the round robins but I still think straight plays are the best route to go. If you have more specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Comment

Nope thats all that I needed thanks! the part of the % helped me out quite a bit kind of the info I was hoping for!
        Last Wager placed 01/11/09 - Loss
        Taking a sabbatical from wagering

Comment

Working...
        X