More Poker Related Stuff: Texas Holdem Omaha Poker Poker Rooms Poker Tournaments

Poker School

Other Cool Sites

My Favorite Hand: 9-10 Suited

My Favorite Hand: 9-10 Suited
by Chad Holloway of Predictem.com

Every poker player has a favorite starting hand. Most people stick to the obvious and like the big pocket pairs Aces or Kings. Some like weak offbeat hands such as 7-3 offsuit or K-8 suited simply because they got lucky in the past and took down a large pot. I have a favorite hand myself, one that is neither an obvious choice nor a weak hand, 9-10 suited. Whenever I ask someone to tell me why a particular hand is their favorite, I usually get an answer back like, “I usually seem to win with it,” or, “I don’t know, I just always like to play it.” Very few are actually able to logically describe the advantages and benefits of their favorite hand. The good news is I am able to say why 9-10 suited is my favorite and I am going to share that with you here.

Let me start by admitting, yes, one of the reasons I like 9-10 suited is because I tend to win with it a lot. However, the reason I tend to win so much is because I know when to play it. My favorite time to play 9-10 suited is when I can get into the hand cheap. Ideally, this means being able to limp in but I am often willing to call a small raise as well. This is because 9-10 suited plays well against many raising hands. For instance, 9-10 suited would be a coin-flip against any pocket pair eights or lower and has big pot potential with hands such as pocket Jacks and Queens, J-10, Q-10, K-J, K-Q, K-10, Q-9, J-9 and the like. This is because many of the cards that make those hands enticing can also make your hand. Take the following hand as an example: Your opponent makes a preflop raise, most likely with pocket Jacks (we’ll say Jc Js), and you make the call with 10d 9d.

POKER GAMES ARE MORE FUN WHEN YOUR OPPONENTS ARE FISH. FIND TONS OF THEM AT BOVADA POKER. WHY THERE YOU ASK? BECAUSE THEY'RE PRIMARILY A SPORTSBOOK AND YOU WILL FIND MANY UNSKILLED PLAYERS THERE WHO ARE EASY TARGETS!

Even though you are a major underdog (18.67% chance of winning versus your opponent’s 80.96%), it is usually worth taking a look at the flop. If you totally miss, you can get away from the hand; however, often times the flop will come down something like Jd Qc 6d (you’ve suddenly jumped to a 40.30% chance of winning while your opponent dropped to 59.70%). In this case, your opponent will not get away from the hand with top set and you are drawing to a flush and a double gut-shot straight draw, which is better than an open-ended draw because it has the same amount of outs but is much more disguised. If you manage to make your hand you are going to felt your opponent and win a huge pot. Do you see how 9-10 suited plays well against hands in the same range? This example didn’t even take into account those times you’ll be up against a small or mid-pocket pair.

I do want to put two disclaimers on playing 9-10 suited. First, don’t get attached to your hand when all you flop is a pair. This is a weak hand that you do not want to lose money with. Second, you must proceed with caution when you make a straight or flush with the hand. Be sure to ask yourself if it is the nuts and if not, what hands can beat you? Like I mentioned before, many of the hands you’ll be up against will like the cards you do, so sometimes your opponent may have a better straight or flush. Minimize your losses in these situations by trying to keep the pots manageable and playing with caution. Played correctly, 9-10 suited is a powerful hand with unlimited money-making potential. I encourage you to give it a try the next time you play.

Tournaments

Check out all the guaranteed tournaments, SnG's, satellites and qualifiers Bovada Poker has to offer! They are truly a one stop shop for everything you could possibly need in an online poker room!

Party Poker - The PartyPoker "Monthly Milion" plays on the 1st Sunday of every month. The tourney starts at 12:45EST. (Note: Party does not accept USA players)

Promotions

Bovada Poker - Sign up, deposit and get an instant 10% bonus. Get a 100% bonus up to $500 which is released as you earn points. If done right, this could equate to a 110% bonus!

Featured Articles

The Difference Between Limit and No Limit Texas Hold'em - Cash games, tournaments, no limit, pot limit, fixed limit and more. Loki breaks it down!!

Tilt - It's a classless way to play online poker, but this article is a good read if you'd like to learn how to put other players "on tilt."

Satellite Poker Tournaments - What are they? How do they work? Jason explains.

MISC.

Famous Poker Players - Short bios about some of the greatest poker players ever to take a seat at the tables!

Female Poker Players - Biographies of all the best women poker players in the world.

Legends of the Game - Bio pages of legendary poker players, many of which have died and gone on to leave their mark on the poker world.

Poker Hall of Fame - Inductees along with their feats listed in chronological order.

Poker Players Alliance - This advocacy group is fighting for YOUR right to legally play online poker. Join today!

Home Poker Games - Everything you need to know about hosting your own game.

What is Rake? - This is how card rooms earn their money off of poker games. K. Swope talks about this fee in detail.

Perspectives Weekly - Check APCW.org's Jay Todd each week as he brings us all the current news in the online gambling industry.

Poker Quotes - Famous and funny poker sayings from around the internet.

Famous Poker Hands - Sure, you know that "AA" is often times dubbed "bullets" or "american airlines" but what about other hands such as "JJ" and "88"? Chad tells all!

Poker Questions - Burn cards, clubs, spaces, diamonds, hearts, the deck, community cards etc. You've got a question? We've got an answer!