A Historical Perspective of the WSOP
by Chad of Predictem.com
During the 2009 World Series of Poker I was working as a Poker Writer for BLUFFMAGAZINE.com and WorldSeriesofPoker.com. This made me an official member of the media, credentialed and all, and entitled me to a number of benefits.
The first was an unlimited supply of Jack Link's Beef Jerky, the official sponsor of that year's WSOP.
The second was access to a number of media tools, such as the media room, press area and unlimited tournament access. In addition, I obtained an Official Media Guide. This guide was chalk full of WSOP information and one section particular was of special interest.
Since the 2009 WSOP was the 40th anniversary of the event, the media guide contained two small sections on pages 18 and 19 titled "A Historical Perspective the World Series of Poker" and "By the Numbers." These sections contained some interesting and entertaining information that I believe the general public would find quite intriguing, so take a look. The following stats and information have been reproduced from the Official Media Guide of the 40th Annual World Series of Poker:
When the first annual WSOP was held in 1970:- A gallon of gasoline cost 36 cents
WSOP has been in existence longer than:
- The right of 18-year-olds to vote in federal elections (1971)
- The Hacky Sack (1972)
- Lego (1973)
- Roe vs. Wade (1973)
- The Rubik's Cube (1974)
- The VCR (1975)
- The Post-It Note (1977)
By the Numbers- World Series of Poker (1970 thru 2008)
- $867,253,377- Number in dollar amount, or total prize money awarded.
- 286,993- No. of entrants that have competed in the WSOP
- 27,685- No. of entrants that have cashed
- 761- No. of 1st place finishers [same # of individual tournaments held]
- 36,979- No. of total entrants to compete in the WSOP Main Event
- 731- No. of gold bracelets awarded [In 1974, the Main Event winner received a bracelet. 1975 became the first year all event winners received a gold bracelet. In 1982, gold watches were awarded instead]
- 11- No. of bracelets won by Phil Hellmuth, the most of any player in history
- 53- No. of multi-millionaires created by the WSOP
- $9,152,416 - Amount Peter Eastgate won for winning the 2008 Main Event
- $0- Amount Johnny Moss won for winning 1970 Main Event [won a Silver Cup]
- 6,843- No. of people Easgate beat in 2008 to become champion
- 6- No. of people Moss beat in 1970 to become champion [by vote of his peers]
- 94- Age of Jack Ury in 2007, the oldest player to compete in a WSOP event
- 22 years, 10 months, 28 days- Age of Eastgate [The youngest Main Event champion in history]
- 124- No. of nations represented at the 2008 WSOP [80 nations competed in the 2006 Winter Olympics]
- 1- Number of countries represented at the 1970 WSOP
- $1,000- Smallest buy-in for a WSOP bracelet event in 2009 [Event No. 4- No Limit Hold'em]
- $50,000- Highest buy-in for a WSOP bracelet event in 2009 [Event No. 49 H.O.R.S.E.]
- 40- No. of cameras ESPN uses to cover WSOP [NBC used 35 to cover Super Bowl XLIII]
- 1970- Year that the first WSOP was held at Binion's Horseshoe in Las Vegas
- 2009- Year the 40th Annual WSOP will be held at the Rio in Las Vegas
Check out all the guaranteed tournaments, SnG's, satellites and qualifiers Bovada Poker has to offer! They are truly a one stop shop for everything you could possibly need in an online poker room!
Party Poker - The PartyPoker "Monthly Milion" plays on the 1st Sunday of every month. The tourney starts at 12:45EST. (Note: Party does not accept USA players)
Bovada Poker - Sign up, deposit and get an instant 10% bonus. Get a 100% bonus up to $500 which is released as you earn points. If done right, this could equate to a 110% bonus!
The Difference Between Limit and No Limit Texas Hold'em - Cash games, tournaments, no limit, pot limit, fixed limit and more. Loki breaks it down!!
Tilt - It's a classless way to play online poker, but this article is a good read if you'd like to learn how to put other players "on tilt."
Satellite Poker Tournaments - What are they? How do they work? Jason explains.
Famous Poker Players - Short bios about some of the greatest poker players ever to take a seat at the tables!
Female Poker Players - Biographies of all the best women poker players in the world.
Legends of the Game - Bio pages of legendary poker players, many of which have died and gone on to leave their mark on the poker world.
Poker Hall of Fame - Inductees along with their feats listed in chronological order.
Poker Players Alliance - This advocacy group is fighting for YOUR right to legally play online poker. Join today!
Home Poker Games - Everything you need to know about hosting your own game.
What is Rake? - This is how card rooms earn their money off of poker games. K. Swope talks about this fee in detail.
Perspectives Weekly - Check APCW.org's Jay Todd each week as he brings us all the current news in the online gambling industry.
Poker Quotes - Famous and funny poker sayings from around the internet.
Famous Poker Hands - Sure, you know that "AA" is often times dubbed "bullets" or "american airlines" but what about other hands such as "JJ" and "88"? Chad tells all!
Poker Questions - Burn cards, clubs, spaces, diamonds, hearts, the deck, community cards etc. You've got a question? We've got an answer!