Oregon @ Arizona Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon @ Arizona Discussion

Thought I'd provide my thoughts here, as I have alot of them...Trying to debunk and "Homer" accusations and provide some facts. Here goes:

First things first, the last 2 years Arizona has had top 10 ranked teams come to the Desert. In 2005 Arizona beat an undefeated and #7 ranked UCLA team 52-14. In 2006 Arizona rallied to beat a one-loss CAL team 24-20. Both of these games were on homecoming. Tonight is not a part of homecoming weekend, however the whole Thursday night football, nationally televised, only show in town provides some similar motivation that a homecoming weekend does. Arizona also finds themselves in a similar position. Definitely has the talent to compete, has shown some flashes of the team they CAN be, but ultimately has been disappointing and unpredictable up to this point. I have read the Arizona Daily Wildcat articles on this game and Stoops troops seem to have the same attitude going into this one as they did with UCLA and CAL...Nothing to lose.

Arizona beat Oregon 37-10 last year in Eugene and are again in a similar situation as last year as they are coming into the Oregon tilt off 2 conferense wins (Washington and UCLA). If I remember correctly Arizona's defense caused alot of problems for Dennis Dixon and the Oregon offense last year, who turned the ball over frequently. Again, if i remember correctly. Oregon, clearly is a much better team this year, and Dixon is playing at a much higher level. That said, Arizona's win at Oregon last year knocked them into a downward spiral of sorts, as prior to that matchup they were playing quite well...

Now while we're on the subject of Defense, Arizona's defense has been a huge disappointment this year. In recent years the Wildcats defense has kept them in ballgames while the offense has struggled to produce. Flip the script 180 degrees this year...Arizona's offense has led the way while the defense has fallen off the map. Oregon and their 5th ranked offense should have no problems putting up yards and points on the Cats. Arizona had some trouble with Washington's mobile QB Jake Locklier (168 rushing yards) so expect Dixon to get his. However Arizona does have the players on D ( DL Luis Holmes, LB Spencer Larson, CB Antoine Cason) to create problems, so dont be surprised to see them force Dixon and Oregon into making some mistakes.

Arizona's offense is a huge reason I like the Cats as a DD underdog. This season we have seen a decent running game with the emergence of Nicholas Grigsby and Chris Jennings in the Arizona backfield. Grigsby and Jennings are nothing spectacular, but they have done what they have been asked to do - make defenses respect the run. Arizona runs a spread offense under new O cordinator Sunny Dykes (of Texas Tech fame) and usually puts the ball in the air 40 times a game. QB Willie Tuitama is setting Arizona school records and wide receivers Mike Thomas and Terrell Turner are very good wide recievers. Think of Thomas as a Wes Welker possession receiver with the ability to break a long one and Turner as more of a deep threat. If the running game is on play action to Turner is going to be money. And there's no reason to think the running game wont be on, as Arizona's absolutely putrid rushing defense put up 230 yards on Oregon last year.

Random thoughts....Think Bob Stoops is pulling for his little bro tonight? Oklahoma sure could use a Oregon loss. **** the entire midwest would love Stoops troops to pull off the W as Kansas, Missourri and OU would all benfit...

How I see it playing out....Arizona definitely has the ability to win this game, and frankly could blow Oregon out of the water. Anything's possible really, but I feel its highly unlikely Oregon will waltz into Tucson and blow the Cats away by 2 TD's+. Most likely this one will be a shootout, and turnovers will be key. If Arizona can force Dixon into making mistakes again this year they will pull it off.

Prediction:

Oregon 31
    Arizona 30

But really, anything's possible. And we all know what has happened to #2 ranked teams this year...
    Last edited by GMoney; 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM.
    its my way or the lame way.

2016 NFL:
    straight up 14-7-1 (+10.9u)
    parlays 0-1 (-1u)
    total: +9.9u
Working...
X