Lions Successful College Football Graduation Rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions Successful College Football Graduation Rates

Nittany Lion Football Team Recognized By AFCA in Academic Achievement Survey: Graduation rate of 83 percent best in Big Ten

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; May 18, 2007 - The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) has again recognized the Penn State Football program for the Nittany Lions’ graduation rate in the AFCA’s annual Academic Achievement Award tabulation. The honorable mention citation marks the 17th time the Nittany Lions have been recognized by the AFCA in the 21 years they have been eligible.

According to the "2006 NCAA Division I Graduation Rates Report," Penn State’s 83 percent football graduation rate was third-highest in the nation among all Division I-A public institutions and 2006-07 bowl teams. The Nittany Lions had the seventh-highest graduation rate overall among all of the nation’s 119 Division I-A programs, including the best among Big Ten Conference institutions.

Penn State’s graduation rate of 83 percent for students entering in 1999-2000 was 28 points higher than the national average of 55 percent over the six-year period. Penn State was one of 34 Division I-A institutions to be recognized by the AFCA for having a graduation rate of 70 percent or better for student-athletes who were freshmen during the 2001-02 academic year. The survey analyzes academic progress of the class over a five-year period.

Coach Joe Paterno's program previously received honorable mention notice from the AFCA in 1998-99, 2001-02-03-05-06. The Nittany Lions also were cited in 1985-87-88-89-91-92-93-94-95, when Penn State was a member of the College Football Association, who conducted the graduation survey at the time. In 1996 and '97, Penn State was not a CFA member, but had a graduation rate of better than 70 percent. The AFCA is in its 10th year of presenting the award. Among the 107 Division I-A institutions that participated to the survey, the graduation rate for the Class of 2006 was 60 percent.

The noted graduation performance is the latest success in a long line of academic achievement for members of the Nittany Lion football program, who consistently are near the top nationally in graduation success:

- During the 2006 fall semester, 43 football squad members earned at least a 3.0 grade point average. Among the 43 Nittany Lions, 14 earned Dean’s List recognition by posting a 3.50 GPA or higher.

- All-America linebacker Paul Posluszny (Aliquippa) was selected the 2006 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American® of the Year, becoming a two-time first team Academic All-American®. Defensive end Tim Shaw (Livonia, Mich.) also earned first team Academic All-America® honors in 2006 and safety Nolan McCready (Wyomissing) was a second team Academic All-American®.

During Paterno’s legednary tenure, Penn State has had 35 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-Americans® (26 first team), 15 National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame Scholar-Athletes (including Posluszny in 2006) and 18 NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarship winners. Penn State ranks fourth among all Division I-A institutions in Academic All-America® football honorees.

- Penn State’s four-year football graduation rate (for students entering 1996-99) of 76 percent was tied for 10th-highest among I-A institutions and tied for second-best among public institutions. Penn State trailed only Northwestern (79 percent) for the best four-year football rate among Big Ten institutions. The national four-year average also was 55 percent.

- Among African-American football student-athletes entering in 1999-2000, the Nittany Lions posted a graduation figure of 71 percent to significantly exceed the 49 percent national average. Penn State’s four-year graduation rate for African-American players was 72 percent, 23 points higher than the national average.

- The Nittany Lions had 18 Academic All-Big Ten football honorees last fall, improving their conference-leading total to 190 from 1993-2006.

- Eighteen members of the 2006 football team had earned their degrees by December ‘06. Among the graduates were co-captains Levi Brown (Norfolk, Va.), who graduated in 3 1/2 years and earned a second degree in December, and Posluszny, who also graduated in 3 1/2 years.

Five members of the football program will graduate this weekend, including tailback Rodney Kinlaw (Goose Creek, S.C.) and center Patrick Weber (Arnold), who will be seniors on the 2007 squad.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:
Working...
X