Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As if it wasn't bad enough for the Raptors

By STEVE BUFFERY, SUN MEDIA

The Raptors can't stomach the idea of playing a crucial game tonight against the New Jersey Nets without T.J. Ford.

Ford was plagued with a stomach ailment prior to Game 4 on Sunday night in New Jersey and it seems the illness has become worse, not better. Head coach Sam Mitchell sent the diminutive guard home yesterday after he arrived for practice at the Air Canada Centre.

"He hadn't eaten in three days and he looked tired," Mitchell said.

When asked if he was concerned about the status of Ford for Game 5 tonight, with his team down three games to one and facing elimination, Mitchell suddenly looked as if he was the one with the upset tummy.

"He's my starting point guard. I would think so," the coach said.

Mitchell plans to shake up the lineup for the second game in a row, in an effort to open up the court for all-star power forward Chris Bosh. But losing Ford wasn't what he had in mind.

Mitchell insisted that there is little he can do to spark a fire under his team for tonight's game, that the motivation has to come from within.

The Raptors were blown out of the Continental Airlines Arena in Games 3 and 4 on the weekend and a loss in any of the next three games will send them to the golf course and move the Nets to the next round of the NBA playoffs.

"No coach ever got me ready to play. He put in the position to maximize what I do well, but that speech you give them before the game? No matter how good it is, it's only going to last so long. Then what do you do the other 45 minutes?" Mitchell said.

"You just remind them of what they've done (this season), 47 wins, winning the Atlantic Division, making it to the playoffs and earning the right to be here."

On top of spreading the court, the Raptors have to figure out a way to contain the Nets' big three, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson. Kidd and Carter were outstanding in helping Jersey dominate the Raps in Games 3 and 4, while Jefferson has been a reliable force on both ends of the court.

Of course, stopping one or all three is easier said than done, but one way is to get back quickly on transition defence.

"You control Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson doesn't get that many baskets and (Bostjan) Nachbar doesn't get that many wide open looks," said Bosh. "And if we control Vince, that cuts down their points in the paint."

Bosh agreed that the Raptors have to bring some energy to the game early tonight.

In the Jersey swamp, the visiting side was outscored in the first quarter by a total of 63-34.

"We're just at a point now where we just have to go play. Whatever happens, happens," Bosh said.

"We have to stay alive. And we know that the only way we're going to do that is to stay relaxed and play basketball."

Bosh really struggled in Jersey, scoring only 24 points in the two games, but he insisted the slump is temporary.

"I don't hate playing Jersey," he said. "They just play a lot better at home and that's a challenge. I'm looking forward to it. From now until the end of my career that will be one of my favorite places to play."
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." Pete Rose

MLB (3-4) - 3.5 Units
Working...
X