Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobby0rr
    replied
    No, I disagree, he should not be suspended. I don't care if he's a racist or whatever he says. I think it says more about the NHL being white supremesists. They just wanted any excuse to say they are being the champions of the Women's movement because what avery said was so extremely derogatory to women. basically it's like calling someone a slut. I think that is pretty common. He sounded pretty stupid, but maybe he should just be embarrassed and that's the end of it.

Leave a comment:

• BoKnows
    replied
    Got it, did not realize the dude does the stuff all the time, and that he is a racist. I guess I missed out on the part that he premeditated the whole incident. As we know everyone talks smack in whatever sport. The fact that Modano and Turco blasted him says a ton. :beer2:

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMapleLeaf
    replied
    Basically it was a buildup of things. The guy has no class. He has a history of racial slurs during games against black and French players, he flips off the press during practice and dressing room events, plus a laundry list of other indiscretions.

For this latest episode, the league probably doesn't want comments derogatory to women associated with their league. And it was an attack towards specific players and specific women. I agree with it, and every analyst I have read/heard agrees with it, as well as coaches/managers/players around the league. The Stars organization even said they would have suspended him themselves if the league didn't do it first. Stars legends, Turco and Modano agreed with it, and railed Avery in the press, a rare thing to not back up your own teammate. He has also likely played his last game as a Star.

I also think it had something to do with the premeditation of the comment. He called the press over for a mini press conference to make a statement, and slung that **** like it was prepared, with a grin on his face. Real low class. He knew the Canadian press would eat it up, as they were already waiting for him after he made remarks about Iginla earlier in the year. Although...if he would have said "ex-girlfriend" he wouldn't have likely been OK. He essentially called a press conference to call fellow players girlfirends sluts and whores.

He got a talking too by league office, and will probably get another couple games...nothing serious for sure...he didn't do anything THAT bad...I just think the league wants to send a message to him to calm down a bit with the off-colour ****...

Comparing fighting, and a "code" to this really doesn't apply, as fighting is a legal part of the sport, and if something over the top goes on, players are suspended. It's a tough sport. Things will happen in a spur. The league should deal with that too. I think this is different, and is more in line with the NFL style of "player conduct" kind of suspension. Hockey players generally are considered to be the most down to earth athletes in the business, and sportswriters will tell you they are the best athletes to deal with on a regular basis. I'd have to believe this is true, as I think I'd rather try and interview Crosby or Lecavalier instead of trying to ask a tough question to Iverson or Terrell Owens. JMO.

He could have trouble finding a place to play though...it's not like its Crosby we're talking about.
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X