JoePa's Open Championship Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's Open Championship Picks

All the world is focused on Hoylake this week and the Royal Liverpool Golf Club. I am having trouble finding an American who is ready to rep the U.S. in jolly old England, but am hard pressed to find somebody who jumps off the page at me. It's a good thing that I am a fan of the Euro Tour!

Being capable and worthy of winning The Open Championship doesn’t seem to count because there has been a parade of surprise winners each year since 2006 except for Ernie Els (2012) and Phil Mickelson (2013). Credit the elements and links golf for the misfortune of many. Typical of the king of all tournaments.

JUSTIN ROSE – 14/1 OUTRIGHT WINNER – Everybody’s harping on Rose's need to prove himself. What? He’s won at The Memorial and the Scottish Open last week and I think he’s in the best form ever as he vies for the coveted Claret Jug. It’s his best chance to grab the trophy. If he doesn’t win it would be a bitter disappointment.

HENRIK STENSON - 7/2 TOP 5 FINISH – Stenson gets a nod over a lot of big names and everybody’s fav Martin Kaymer. I was also looking at other short fan faves like Day, Westwood, McIlroy, but Stenson is a gamer this year with a solid showing at Pinehurst and has finished in the Top 4 in three of his last four major starts. Sounds like a winner to me! Let’s see if he can take his career/game to the next level.

MATT KUCHAR – 7/1 TOP 5 FINISH – Come on man! He’s got to win a major at some point, right! Kooch was having a good early season but fell back a bit, but he always manages to show up in the big tournaments. A low ball hitter in windy conditions, what could be better.

RICKIE FOWLER - 8/1 TOP 5 FINISH – He got some wind under his wings when he T5th at The Masters, but then a major slump came along. But if you take a peak at his last month of play on Tour he finished T13th at the St. Jude, T2nd at the U.S. Open and T8th at the Scottish Open with a final round 65. What’s holding him back?

ROBERT KARLSSON – 12/1 TOP 5 FINISH – You just have to wonder where’s he's been and where’s he come from since his was ranked 6th in the OWGR in 2013. He sunk to 313th in the OWGR in November 2013, however, he is now 140th after a T8th at the Scottish Open last week---his 3rd Top10 in his last five starts. I’ve always been a Karlsson fan and watching his comeback has been really satisfying and believe it or not this is the 25th anniversary since he first played in The Open. He's 45?

DANNY WILLETT – 25/1 TOP 5 FINISH – Comes to Hoylake having finished no worse than T11 in his last three starts. He grabbed the top spot last week at the Scottish Open. He T15th at The Open last year and he has 8 Top 20s this season. Has not missed cut since September 2013 grinding through a shoulder injury. I’ve caught his act several times of the last few weeks and I am a fan!
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:
Working...
X