JoePa's Wyndham Championship Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's Wyndham Championship Picks

No dice last week as the best I could muster was a Brandt Snedeker T11th at the PGA Championship. But who said golf was easy! The Wyndham Championship is on tap this week at Sedgefield Country Club and there are still a lot of the golfers trying to stay in the top 125 of the FedEx Cup rankings because the playoffs start next week at The Barclays! It's time to put up or shut up or protect your ranking so you can stay in the hunt.

BRANDT SNEDEKER - 3/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Unusual for me to pick someone two weeks in a row but he is peaking.....well, at least his game is! He's finished with Top 15s at Firestone and Valhalla in consecutive weeks and has six (6) Top 25s in his last seven (7) starts. He also just happens to have two (2) Top 10s at Sedgefield. Sneds is 69th in the FedEx standings.

ERNIE ELS - 11/2 TOP 5 FINISH - The Big Easy closed with a round of 65 to grab a T7th last week in very tough conditions at Valhalla during the PGA Championship. He really hit some laser approaches and his putting was solid. I like the way Ernie is trending with a T12th at the RBC Canadian and a T26th at Firestone in Akron. He T20th here in 2013 and is ranked 85th in the FedEx standings.

HIDEKI MATSUYAMA - 7/2 TOP 5 FINISH - I don't think there will be any surprises this week and that's one of the reasons I am going back to the 22 year old Japanese player. He's ranked 22nd in the FedEx, 18th in the OWGR, is 4th on Tour in birdie average, 17th in scoring average at 69.958, 4th in par breakers, 24th in par 3 birdie or better average, 14th in par 4 birdie or better average, 5th in par 5 birdie or better average, 3rd in birdie or better conversion percentage. He turned pro in 2013 and has a playoff win at The Memorial, T4th at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, T12th at Firestone and T36th last week in his PGA Championship baptism finishing three (3) under par.

JUSTIN HICKS - 9/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Hicks comes in with consecutive career-best finishes with a solo 3rd at the RBC Canandian and a solo 2nd at the Barracuda Championship. He's 2nd in GIR at 71.25%, 4th in driving accuracy at 73.56%, 13th in total birdies and 9th in ball striking. He's 44th in the race for the cup.

JOHN HUH - 12/1 TOP 5 FINISH - He is raked 94th in the FedEx standings and has two (2) career starts at Sedgefield and finished T3rd last year with a career-low second round 62 that propelled him into the weekend. Two weeks ago he T3rd at the Barracuda Championship in Reno that added to his FedEx points.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:
Working...
X