Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATP - Moscow, Stockholm & Vienna (10/8 - 10/14)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coreyschucky
    started a topic ATP - Moscow, Stockholm & Vienna (10/8 - 10/14)

ATP - Moscow, Stockholm & Vienna (10/8 - 10/14)

Kremlin Cup - Moscow, Russia - Indoors, Carpet

ëÕÂÏË ëÒÅÍÌÑ 2007

If Stockholm Open - Stockholm, Sweden - Indoors, Hard

If Stockholm Open

BA-CA Tennis Trophy - Vienna, Austria - Indoors, Hard

BA-CA TennisTrophy // 6.-14. Oktober 2007

Good Luck to All!!!!

• NevadaJay
    replied
    Corey - some great observations. I don't pretend to know tennis, but your rationale makes sense (appearance money).

January seems like a long ways away...but I'll wait bc I know you know your tennis.

Leave a comment:

• valen
    replied
    CC,

I have to agree with you about the 'showing up for appearance money' thing.
    A lot of players must go in with some predetermined idea of how far they are going to go in a tournament (bearing in mind what tournament comes up the week after, etc.)

I think personally they are playing way too many matches, so one tournament (or one match for that matter) makes no difference to them in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing that seems to make the men's tour a bit more consistent is the ATP US Open series, but honestly, if you're outside of the top 8 players in the world you probably have no shot at that anyway.

I'll miss your insight until January, but recharge your batteries and come back fresh!

Just some support from a bit of a lurker.

valen

Originally posted by coreyschucky View Post
    Are there fixed matches in tennis yes there certainly are but that's not the issue. The issue primarily is lack of motivation of players and inability to carry over success. Watching the results over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a trend of bigtime players showing up to tourneys just for appearance money. Top players bowing out early in tourney's and lose to players they should never lose to. I've seen far too many matches on the ATP and WTA tours where players absolutely choke when given an oppurtunity or are leading. After awhile it becomes tiring. Plus on top of that the work is endless. Trying to find out all sorts of info is very tough and during tennis season I barely sleep. Will definitely be back soon for tennis.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Also James Blake has never lost in Stockholm before but now he's down a set to Jarkko Nieminen who has just been terrible this season. This is soooo frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Here's some frustrating numbers which is why I'm taking a break:

Fernando Gonzalez record indoors over the last 3 years: 23 W - 9 L***Not including 2007***
    Juan Carlos Ferrero's record indoors over the last 3 years: 7 W - 10 L (0-4 in 2006)**Not including 2007***

This Tourney:

Gonzalez bt. Volandri 3-6, 6-1, 6-3...Not as easy of a win as it should be but Fillipo has shown he can be a difficult opponent on any surface.
    Gonzalez bt. Vanek 6-3, 6-4....Vanek had been showing a tremendous serve and Fernando had no issues beating him

Ferrero bt Canas 3-6, 6-3, 7-6...Very tough match JCF somehow pulled it out. Canas should have won.
    Ferrero bt. Benneteau 7-6, 1-6, 6-2...Benneteau is having an awful end to the season but battled JCF here. The match was really up for grabs.

Now mind you Gonzalez isn't having as good of a season as he did at the end of last year but he is still a very good player on this surface. JCF is a clay courter who gets decent results on other surfaces. Normally Gonzalez should win this match in 2 sets or maybe 3 sets but right now these two are deadlocked at 1 set a piece and heading into a 3rd with JCF up a break. Gonzo should never have put himself through this.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Originally posted by NevadaJay View Post
    Hey Corey -

Probably a good idea...I just read about the inquiry into 100's (I think) of 'questionable' results in tennis matches. Makes you wonder what % are fixed!
    Are there fixed matches in tennis yes there certainly are but that's not the issue. The issue primarily is lack of motivation of players and inability to carry over success. Watching the results over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a trend of bigtime players showing up to tourneys just for appearance money. Top players bowing out early in tourney's and lose to players they should never lose to. I've seen far too many matches on the ATP and WTA tours where players absolutely choke when given an oppurtunity or are leading. After awhile it becomes tiring. Plus on top of that the work is endless. Trying to find out all sorts of info is very tough and during tennis season I barely sleep. Will definitely be back soon for tennis.

Leave a comment:

• NevadaJay
    replied
    Hey Corey -

Probably a good idea...I just read about the inquiry into 100's (I think) of 'questionable' results in tennis matches. Makes you wonder what % are fixed!

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Taking a break for awhile. Way too many inconsistent results at this point of the season. Just to unreliable and not worth the risk. Just a few tourney's left in the season and I see the same thing happening over the next couple of weeks. Be back with tennis in January with the start of the new season.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Originally posted by Daws1089 View Post
    atleast mathieu won.
    LMAO that's what I said to myself this morning. Absolute joke today.

Leave a comment:

• Daws1089
    replied
    atleast mathieu won.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Added another play to Gonzalez...Adjustment made above.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Friday

Challenger Series: Rennes, France

5* Phillip Petschzner (-160) Over Thomas Oger - 1:15 PM

Good Luck to All!!!!

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    This day is horse****.

Ljubicic lost 3-6, 3-6
    Mathieu won 6-3, 6-3!!!!
    Kohlschreiber lost 3-6 (Kohlschreiber retired)
    Karlovic won 7-6, 3-6, 7-6!!!!
    Lopez lost 7-6, 3-6, 4-6
    Haas won 6-3, 6-3!!!!

ATP: 21-12 (+4.85 units) with 3 still pending
    Doubles: 1-0 (+10 units)
    Challenger Series: 3-3 (-22.5 units)

Good Luck to All!!!!
    Last edited by coreyschucky; 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    Friday

Stockholm

10* Tommy Haas (-245) Over Juan Monaco - 10:00 AM

Good Luck to All!!!!

Leave a comment:

• coreyschucky
    replied
    :puke: This is turning out to be a nightmare start. Ljubicic getting his ass kicked right now. Man this is going to be a bad day

Leave a comment:

Working...
X