UFC 79......Sat. night!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC 79......Sat. night!

Lets go guys, we gotta keep this MMA chat going and we have a big night coming up. Throughout the web, lots of people are saying they arent impressed by this card. I just dont see it? Yea, of course I wish we could have seen Chuck and Wandy match up when they were both on top, but that isnt the case, **** happens. Im still pumped, I think these two fighting now is even better. They are both coming off back to back losses and this fight is crucial to both. A third loss for either would be very difficult to comeback from, and even harder to make a claim for title contention. I think this match up is perfect. Wandy is going to come out gunning and pushing the pace. This plays right into Chucks style of being that counter punching fighter. I see major fireworks with this one, and I cant wait! As for Matt and GSP, cant call it. Ill be pulling for Hughes, but I just dont know if he can beat George, if he comes in like he did in thier 2nd fight...IF. But Hughes is one tough SOB, and he knows he got his ass embarrassed last time, and I know he will make changes to better his chances. Like him or not, the guy is a smart fighter. I definately expect a good showing from Matt. Some other good fights as well, Im looking forward to seeing the young assasian returning from his coke suspension...ha,ha. I think he will beat the hell out of Rich, that is if he can avoid the sub...LOL. What are you guys thinking? Cant wait to hear some of your picks. Here are the lines from 5 dimes. They seem to be consistant with other sites as far as I have seen:

UFC Fighting Spread Money Line Total Points Team Total Points
    UFC 79 - Welterweight Championship 5 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada - PPV
    Sat 12/29 601 Matt Hughes +200
    11:30PM (EST) 602 Georges St. Pierre -240
    Sat 12/29 635 Hughes/St. Pierre goes 2:30 round 2 -210
    11:30PM (EST) 636 Fight won't go 2:30 round 2 +160
    UFC 79 - Light Heavyweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada - PPV
    Sat 12/29 701 Chuck Liddell +105
    11:00PM (EST) 702 Wanderlei Silva -125
    Sat 12/29 703 Liddell/Silva goes distance +330
    11:00PM (EST) 704 Fight won't go distance -450
    Sat 12/29 705 Liddell wins inside distance +163
    11:00PM (EST) 706 Not Liddell inside distance -9999
    Sat 12/29 707 Liddell wins by 3 rnd decision +652
    11:00PM (EST) 708 Not Liddell by 3 rnd decision -9999
    Sat 12/29 709 Silva wins inside distance +113
    11:00PM (EST) 710 Not Silva inside distance -9999
    Sat 12/29 711 Silva wins by 3 rnd decision +782
    11:00PM (EST) 712 Not Silva by 3 rnd decision -9999
    Sat 12/29 713 Liddell/Silva draw +6000
    11:00PM (EST) 714 Fight not a draw -15000
    Sat 12/29 739 Liddell/Silva goes 2:30 round 2 +100
    11:00PM (EST) 740 Fight won't go 2:30 round 2 -140
    Sat 12/29 801 Lyoto Machida -115
    10:30PM (EST) 802 Rameau Sokoudjou -105
    Sat 12/29 803 Machida/Sokoudjou goes 2:30 round 2 -195
    10:30PM (EST) 804 Fight won't go 2:30 round 2 +155
    UFC 79 - Lightweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada - PPV
    Sat 12/29 851 Rich Clementi +180
    10:00PM (EST) 852 Melvin Guillard -220
    UFC 79 - Heavyweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada - PPV
    Sat 12/29 853 Soa Palelei -145
    10:00PM (EST) 854 Eddie Sanchez +125
    UFC 79 - Light Heavyweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sat 12/29 855 Luis Cane -170
    8:15PM (EST) 856 James Irvin +150
    UFC 79 - Lightweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sat 12/29 857 Manny Gamburyan -440
    8:15PM (EST) 858 Nate Mohr +350
    UFC 79 - Middleweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sat 12/29 859 Dean Lister -330
    8:15PM (EST) 860 Jordan Radev +270
    UFC 79 - Welterweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sat 12/29 861 Tony DeSouza +115
    8:15PM (EST) 862 Roan Carneiro -135
    UFC 79 - Lightweight 3 rounds - Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sat 12/29 863 Mark Bocek -120
    8:15PM (EST) 864 Doug Evans +100

Good Luck Guys!!:thumbs:

Dogs
    Chuck Liddell
    James Irvin
    Tony DeSouza

All the other match ups I'd roll with the faves...

Not playing, just watching...

Comment

I'm at work so I'll make this quick... I'll post a full run down later.

Roan -140 risking 6 units (I believe Roan should be -290 or greater against Desouza... he is bigger, stronger, more athletic and is definitely skilled in bjj tot he point that desouza should not catch him). He gave fitch pretty much all he could handle, until he pretty much gave up... and that says alot considering how dominant fitch has been over his opponents for the most part.

Bocek -125 risking 2.5 units (Bocek seems really focused, his bjj is quite excellent and far superior to Doug Evans, I don't see how Doug is gonna stop the eventual submission).

These are my straight up faves I'm taking. Between this and Yarennoka (japanese new years eve show) there are so many parlay possibilities its almost too much to handle lol... I'll be in heaven watching both shows.

Dogs I like in UFC... possibly Irvin, I'll definitely be on Sokoudjou for probably 2 units or so. Chuck has value as a slight dog, I gotta go with Wand though as my pick (hopefully he shows up like he did in Pride). Oh and Clementi actually definitely has value as a dog, hes a much smarter fighter than Melvin. That said... I really like Melvin as a fighter and hes going to come out like an enraged bull... I don't think Clementi is going to be able to survive that type of pressure. I'll put Guillard in one of my parlays probably.

Dogs in Yarennoka - Misaki +185, possibly takimoto +430 or whatever hes at.

Two great events though, all of you guys should try to tune in....
      Last edited by yukoncornelius; 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Just some thoughts:

Hughes +200 - GSP can say all he wants about being in the best shape of his life but the fact is he is on short notice in this fight, which will be 5 rounds with one of the best ever in this weight class. GSP is a supremely gifted fighter, but is far from unbeatable, especially under these circumstances.

Silva -125 - Liddell only gets respect like this due to his name at this point, he is well past his prime. Beaten badly by Jackson and knocked out by Jardine, any other fighter would be +250 or more in this situation. Jardine is far from a top-flight 205 lber. Silva has a style that I think can get Liddell in trouble quickly as well.

Sokoudjo -105 This dude is an absolute beast and I love watching him fight. He is far too athletic and strong, and will have the upper hand IMO.

The rest are either too juiced or not enough value.

Comment

Wow, usually I see a pick that im not in agreement with, but you guys must be reading my mind. I havent had a friendly argument with Yukon since the Tito/Rashad fight....:laughing:

Maybe thats a good thing and we can make some money!

I also LOVE SOKOUDJO. I look for him to make a Big splash in the UFC. The guy has sledge hammers for fists.

I cant bet on the mohawk boy fight due to my intense hatred for that guy. If I go against him and he takes my money, ill smash my new T.V., and If I take him and he gets his ass whooped (hopefully) I will go nuts. So mohawk boy is always a no play for me.

My heart says Hughes, and the payout is worth putting a little on him. Like i said, the guy is an intelligent fighter and I expect a much better game plan than the 2nd fight. Im hoping that GSP comes in with one of his lackluster preformances, i just dont know. When Peirre is on, he is trouble. Ill put a little on Matt just for fun. I dont know about you guys, but I cant wait for the weigh-ins tonight, and tomorrow is going to be great:thumbs:

GOOD LUCK GUYS :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
            Just some thoughts:

Hughes +200 - GSP can say all he wants about being in the best shape of his life but the fact is he is on short notice in this fight, which will be 5 rounds with one of the best ever in this weight class. GSP is a supremely gifted fighter, but is far from unbeatable, especially under these circumstances.
            Rumors comming out of the GSP camp that he trained all 12 weeks for this fight anticipating a Serra pull out. Pierre would do something like that...I don't doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
              Rumors comming out of the GSP camp that he trained all 12 weeks for this fight anticipating a Serra pull out. Pierre would do something like that...I don't doubt it.
              V3 is right about those rumors... The WW division is too strong now for hughes, in my opinion. I will be very surprised if GSP loses, he is just a really bad matchup for Hughes. Hughes relies so much on his takedowns, strength and athleticism, and the fact of the matter ist hat GSP does all those things better, plus his striking is much better.

Chuck is not past his prime... Silva lost to henderson, because that wasn't the same silva that normally shows up (he wasn't right going into that fight). The chuck that showed up against Jardine was not the same chuck as usual. Chuck is still VERY dangerous, and the current record of ex-pride fighters realllllly worries me, hopefully wand has adapted to no roids lol. Wandy is still one of my fave fighters and I'm siding with him, but won't be surprsied if Chuck wins. Wanderlei likes to swing wildly alot, and Chuck loves fighters who do that, because most of the time, he catches them. The difference is that Wand rrreally likes to get in close and use his knees. If silva can keep the fight close, he's goign to attack chuck's with MT clinch. Silva also said he plans to throw alot of kicks which is the right game plan.

Great card, I can't wait!!!!! :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by yukoncornelius View Post
                V3 is right about those rumors... The WW division is too strong now for hughes, in my opinion. I will be very surprised if GSP loses, he is just a really bad matchup for Hughes. Hughes relies so much on his takedowns, strength and athleticism, and the fact of the matter ist hat GSP does all those things better, plus his striking is much better.
                They were also saying that no one could take GSP down during the camp, not even Rashad Evans. GSP was taking all of them down with ease.

Hughes is going to Lughes!!!

Comment

GSP is too fast for Hughes. Yes, Hughes relies on his take down and his ground/pound, but GSP is more versatile. His training is much more intense than Hughes IMO. GSP should win it again.

Lidell lost all respect from me. After losing to Jardine, Chuck doesn't seem the same. I really don't care who wins the fight, but my opinion is that Silva will win by KO. Both of these fighters are sluggers, so you can see a fist brawl.
                  Rowdy Rowdy Red!!!

Comment

They were also saying that no one could take GSP down during the camp, not even Rashad Evans. GSP was taking all of them down with ease.

Hughes is going to Lughes!!!
                    haha I know man, wasn't that mmaweekly's report? 95% success rate on takedowns... and seriously that doesn't surprise me. GSP is an athletic freak.

Comment

Yeah...and it's not like GSP was sitting around eating chips and watching hockey! The guy trains every day regardless. I am surprised to see such a huge line however, as Hughes is still a big name in the sport....I like GSP to win, but not laying that much in a fight where anything can happen. I do think the books are telling you something though, giving GSP such a huge fave line...they know he's going to win that matchup more than not.

Also like Silva at that line...most likely my only play of the card....fading Chuck....although I might tail you guys on Sokoudjo.

GL all....enjoy the card! :beerbang:

Comment

I THINK soko will win, but make no mistake... machida is a serious contender, he just fights totally not exciting. Everything he does is extremely calculated... its hard to pick against him. I won't be surprised either way who wins...

Now I will be surprised if Roan and Bocek lose *crosses fingers heh

Comment

So it looks like Im the only one that thinks Liddell is going to win.

Not sold on Soko either...

Comment

-115 soko/machida... At even odds, its really hard to go either way. I still give the slight edge to Soko because I think his extended time with team quest is really going to pay off and show in this fight.

Comment

I can DEFINATELY see mohawk boy getting the win. I will be rooting for Wandy, but like I said, no bet for me. I think Silva is going to just rush the hell out of Chuck and try to knock his head off. Unfortunately for me, that is playing right into Chucks hands. I can see him landing one of his bogus sloppy counter punch haymakers and ending the show. I cant stand Chuck and would like to consider myself his biggest hater but something tells me his dumb ass is gonna pull it off. He knows how much this fight means and I would think that he trained his ass off. I just have nightmares of seeing him do that stupid ass backwards run with his arms straight out making that ignorant face followed by the X sign...:puke: We can cap this fight all day and night until the fight, but either of them can end it with one strike. That is why im so pumped to finally see it. Its a coin toss in my book, and if you're on mohawk boy, good luck. I dont think you can go wrong betting on either. I know thats no help to you but I just needed to vent.....LOL!!

Good luck tomorrow night V3!:beerbang:

Just watched the weigh in. I have to admitt, chucks dumb ass looks good. His trademark ripped pot belly was noticably smaller.....hmmmmm. Please MMA gods let Wandy knock those kanjii tatts off his damn head!!! I might just shed a tear if that goofball pulls it off, but I will not be suprised.
                              Last edited by No1mikefan; 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM. Reason: weigh in

Comment

Working...
                              X