Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto vs Margarito

Cotto signed this morning.
    I booked my flight for July 24th - 27th.
    Booked my room, staying at the MGM signature.
    Waiting for tickets to become available.

I'll be there suckas!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fight of the summer is signed, sealed and delivered.

That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing.
    -- Bob Arum

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto will face Antonio Margarito on July 26 in an HBO PPV bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas now that both have signed for the much-anticipated fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.

"I get really excited about a fight like this because I know it can't be anything but great," Arum said. "That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing."

The fight matching two of boxing's most exciting fighters has been on track since April 12, when they both knocked out opponents on the same card.

Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs), of Puerto Rico, stopped "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez in the fifth round to retain his 147-pound belt for the fourth time and Margarito blew out Kermit Cintron via sixth-round knockout in a rematch.

"These guys both have great chins, great determination and great power," Arum said. "It's going to be some battle. I just hope that they are not ruined from a fight like this."

Mexico's Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) won a world title from Cintron, but he will relinquish it in order to face Cotto rather than fight Joshua Clottey in a far less lucrative mandatory match. Arum said Margarito would officially renounce his title "within the next week."

Before Margarito, 30, defeated Cintron, he had already agreed to terms for the Cotto fight as long as they both won on April 12, Arum said. Cotto, 27, was also committed to the fight, but did not sign until Wednesday night, Arum said.

"Margarito signed off before his fight with Cintron," Arum said. "Cotto wanted the fight but we were going over terms and minutia, and finally Miguel and his team agreed on everything last night."

Arum would not divulge their purses, which will eventually be public when the contracts are filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. However, Arum said each would receive "by far the biggest purse they have ever gotten." Besides the purse, each fighter will receive a percentage of the profits from the pay-per-view revenue.

Cotto's biggest purse was $3.2 million for his November victory against Shane Mosley. Margarito earned a $1.2 million purse when he lost a version of the title to Paul Williams last summer.

The fight will officially be announced during a four-city media blitz next week. They'll kick off the promotion with a news conference Monday in Mexico City followed by a stop Tuesday in Los Angeles, Thursday in New York and Friday in San Juan.

The fight will mark Cotto's first bout in Las Vegas since he knocked out Randall Bailey in a junior welterweight title defense on the December 2004 undercard of the Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams heavyweight fight.

Since then, Cotto has fought either in Puerto Rico, New York or Atlantic City, N.J. Arum said he felt it was important to establish Cotto on the West Coast, where Margarito has a following.

"Based on Cotto's fights with Zab Judah and Mosley, he has established a good East Coast base on pay-per-view," Arum said. "We felt his base would be loyal and we needed a big West Coast presence. We think the great Mexican fans will come out for Margarito, so it made sense to do the fight in the West rather than the East. We couldn't do it in Las Vegas until they changed the rule on the gloves."

A few weeks ago, the Nevada commission amended its rule on glove size. It had in place a provisional rule that mandated welterweights wear 10-ounce gloves rather than the traditional 8-ounce gloves worn in virtually every other jurisdiction in the world. Cotto and Margarito both prefer the 8-ounce gloves and Arum refused to put the fight on in Nevada until the temporary rule, which was up for review, was changed.

Arum said he has not set the undercard yet but said he wanted to include rising junior welterweight contender Mike Alvarado on the card.

"Alvarado is one guy I really want on the card in a good fight," Arum said. "After that, we're open. I'll be discussing it with my matchmakers."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com

So now my girl starts talking **** about "oh thats lame, you are going to spoil my vacation, etc. etc.". This is what really pisses me off about her.

I missed Calzaghe vs Kessler for her and she acted like it was nothing. Now she is mad I'm not spending Satruday night with her. If she keeps this up who knows, I may have an extra ticket. I will seriously dump her ass if it means me missing this fight.

It seriously pisses me off. I dont mean to vent on this board and take up space but I dont have anywhere to go right now. Let's see her punk ass come up with any loot to make this all happen. God Forbid I go watch 2 fights of an 8 fight card for 3 hours out of the whole trip.

I dumped her ass once for acting like this and it gave her a quick reality check, and she comes crawling back. I put that on everything I will do it again.

STUPIDUMBITCH

Comment

Easy V3, take a deep breath buddy LOL. Hopefully she will come around, but that is going to be one HELL of a weekend regardless. You better post some pics man! Lucky dog, I know you cant wait. Big fight in Vegas, doesnt get any better than that for as big a fight fan as we know you are. Congrats man, Im like a jealous little bitch right now. One of these days Ill make the trip out there for a big fight. Until then, Ill live vicariously through you.....haha!:beerbang:

Comment

Ha, thanks man. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Thursday). Gonna rab a couple just incase, dont feel like getting reemed on Ebay at the last minute.

I worked it out with girly. She is going to watch Phantom of the Opera while I am at the fight. Which works out fine because the last thing I want to do is have her sit next to me and complain the whole time.

I have been to plenty of live boxing/MMA events in Vegas and So Cal, and I thought to myself each time "this is the biggest fight I will ever see", but I have to say...this one right here....tops them ALL.

I will seriously buy one of those lame fighter vs fighter (date) shirts they sell in the stands and sport it like a chump...haha!!!

This fight is no joke...

Comment

Good to hear V3! You KNOW you have to get one of those shirts! Id be right there with you jumping up and down like a crackhead:laughing: You cant beat that, get to see the fight, and dont have to sit through the phantom of the opera. You sir are a negotiating Genious, NICE!:thumbs:

Comment

Present From Me To Me :)

Delivery Details: Standard Mail - Your tickets will be mailed to your billing address and delivered no later than 48 hours before the event in a plain unmarked white envelope.
            Purchase Summary
            Event/Item Qty Type Sec Row Seats Description
            Cotto VS Margarito
            MGM Grand Hotel
            Las Vegas, NV
            Sat, Jul 26, 2008 03:30 PM 2 ADULT U204 R 11 - 12
            PRICE LEVEL 5
            UPPER LEVEL 2ND LEVEL OFF THE FLOOR UPSTAIRS

:beerbang:

Comment

question for you V3!!

VERY NICE!!! Well, im not gonna hit Vegas, but Im looking to get myself a present like you buddy! UFC 87 is going to be at the Target Center in Minneapolis. Thats only a 4 hour ride from madison. Probably my best shot to see a live event until I reach full Baller status like V3! LOL! I cant wait. I can only imagine the electricity in the air. Its gotta be nuts. They just announced GSP vs. Fitch for the main event. No disrespect to Mark Coleman who had to pull out because of injury, but that fight did nothing for me as a fan. Im fired up. I forgot tickets went on sale this morning so now I will be playing the Ebay game. Hopefully I dont get bent over too much. So you have been before huh V3? Is it better to try and get seats in the upper level front rows, or try to get as close as possilbe? I dont want to spend a thousand bucks to be on the floor level and not be able to see the cage? And I sure as hell dont want to pay all that money to be watching it only on the big screen. I found 2 tickets in row "A" of the 2nd level for around 400. I think thats gonna be what I go after but like I said, neve been to one and dont really know what its like trying to see the action in the octagon. Any input would be greatly appreciated buddy!!:thumbs:

Comment

I've been to UFC events in Vegas (MGM) and in Anaheim (Pond , Now Honda Center) and with a cage the higher you are the better it is. When you are down on the floor you are looking THROUGH the cage and you can't see shyt. You will spend most of the time looking at the big screens.

When you are higher up ($60 - $300) you are looking down and you can see all the action. Believe me, the $300 seats are no better than the $100 dollar seats. I had $200 seats with the Hughes vs Penn rematch and ONE row back were the $100 seats. About 5 rows down were the $300 seats, it really makes no difference at all. I was right by where the fighters come out onto the floor, so that was cool. Seriously, dont waste your money on expensive seats, especially for a cage match, you can't see anything. Get $100 or $200 tickets max, and it will be way better than floor seats. A boxing ring is different, but the $30 seats for Lewis vs Klitschko in LA (last minute purchase) were fine as well.

Keep in mind, for the big events everyone stands up anyways, so at that point its how tall you are!

Comment

EXCELLENT! Im gonna try to get those front row upperdeck ones. ill let you know how it goes. Thanks V3!!:beerbang:

Comment

V3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    So are you getting any sleep this week buddy? I got my tickets to UFC 87, wound up in the 2nd row upperdeck center so its all good. Thats a ways a way and I am excited beyond belief. I know you're like a kid at christmas right now. Just watched the countdown show and Im a jealous fan for real. Let us know how it goes, have fun you lucky dog!!!!

look out Vegas, here comes V3:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Comment

Thoughts on the fight? When was the last time Cotto was this small a fave at only -260???

Comment

Ya, I work so much so I've been taking it kinda easy this week. Easy to me is working a 10 hour day, as opposed to my normal 16. Celebrated girlies BDay Monday. Went fishing Tuesday and caught 2 sting rays. Went for Sushi and a cigar last night. I depart LAX at 1055 tonight for Vegas. Touch down a little past midnight.

Damn, hell yeah I'm hyped.

Thoughts...

Mind says Cotto by close split with controversy for a rematch with Cotto moving onto bigger and better things.

Heart says Margarito pummles him in 8 as Cotto is on one knee shaking his head in disgust.

Action...staying far away from this one. Just going for the fight. Hopefully my personality doesnt get the best of me and I find myself at the front of the line with a fist full of cash only saying one word to the teller "Margarito".

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                          Thoughts on the fight? When was the last time Cotto was this small a fave at only -260???
                          I got Cotto at -200 against Sugar Shane. Steal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by No1mikefan View Post
                            V3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            So are you getting any sleep this week buddy? I got my tickets to UFC 87, wound up in the 2nd row upperdeck center so its all good. Thats a ways a way and I am excited beyond belief. I know you're like a kid at christmas right now. Just watched the countdown show and Im a jealous fan for real. Let us know how it goes, have fun you lucky dog!!!!

look out Vegas, here comes V3:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
                            UFC's are OK. I've been a couple. Just not into the whole Tap Out, Afflication, MMA bro type crowd. The fights have always been good though, lucky for me. My frist one was UFC 36, I was a huge fan of Hayato Sakurai, but he lost to Matt Hughes. Saw Couture lose to Barneett (who got busted for juicing afterwards). I've been to a couple others. Have fun man....

Ya, the countdown was pretty good.
                            I'll be posting from the hotel room. Hopefully not working much out there, but I have to bring my laptop and cell.
                            Doing the whole Phantom of the Opera thing Friday night, which is actually my bday (July 25th). Girl has been dying to see it, so why not you know...

Comment

Hey, the 25th is my son Tyson's b-day as well. Yes, named after Mike if you're wondering. Long story and tons and tons of begging and pleading with the wife for that one....haha! Anyways, HAPPY BDAY V3! I couldnt think of a better present to yourself than tix to the fight. Have a blast! Im with you, cant touch this one. I like Cotto but watching the replay of the Judah fight the other night has me a little worried. He can be touched and hurt and we know Margarito will be doing both. Cotto is a damn bull and keeps coming forward so I know this is going to be one action packed fight. I see them in the middle of the ring absolutely going to war, somebody is going to sleep.

Let us know how the trip goes! :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X