XU @ URI -- Lavender's Status....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XU @ URI -- Lavender's Status....

Just thought I'd stop by to share some info on Drew Lavender for tonight's game @ URI. Here is an excerpt from the Xavier beat writer which was posted on his blog at 2:00 p.m.

"Lavender didn't do a whole lot during today's XU shootaround and iced the ankle during part of it. I asked him before the shootaround about playing tonight, and he said he'd try to run some tonight before the game and see how he felt.

If Lavender isn't feeling real good, I think Miller may be inclined to rest him, rather than risk further injury. I'll try to get an update before the game as well. It's worth noting, however, that his left thumb is taped up pretty good."

Doesn't sound too good for Lavender tonight. Even if he goes, he won't be near 100% and his quickness is his greatest asset. Xavier has a home game against Duquesne Thursday night and they play @ Dayton on Sunday. Wouldn't surprise me to see Drew sit tonight to get healty for the other two games this week.

URI is undefeated at home and on the bubble right now. A win against X would give them a solid "W" for their tourney resume...so this is a BIG one for URI tonight.

On the other hand....if Drew sits, I would expect to see Stanley Burrell play a lot at the point tonight, along with true frosh Dante Jackson. Jackson's inexperience is scary...but I have faith that Burrell can handle the point, if need be. URI isn't known for their stellar defensive pressure. A starting lineup with Burrell, BJ Raymond, Derrick Brown, CJ Anderson and Jason Love, with Duncan coming off the bench can certainly pull out a "W" tonight....but it will be very, very difficult for the Musketeers. The offense just doesn't run the same without Lavender in there....but it should be noted that X was able to pull out a win @ Charlotte last week with Lavender and Burrell spending a majority of the time on the bench with injuries, sickness and foul trouble.

Good luck whatever you do!
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Latest updates on Lavender per Xavier beat writer...for anyone who cares...

"At 5:55, Xavier is on the court warming up, and Lavender is with the rest of the team, stretching, running, shooting, etc. Might still be too soon to know for sure, but he is optimistic.
    Watching him do defensive slide drills, I can't tell much of a difference. He's also removed the wrap on the left thumb.

**XU's athletic training staff feels comfortable with Lavender's ability to play tonight and not put himself in further danger...as of now at 6:08 p.m....So, it looks like the ultimate determinant will be Lavender himself. And if that's the case, it would take the unforeseen cancellation of the game to Lavender off the court. Tape, brace and go."

GL!

Comment

Nigel- i wanted to listen to the game tonight when i am working. What Cincy station carries them? I can probably look it up, but if you could post it, that would be great.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

looks like it's WLW....

700WLW - THE BIG ONE
        Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

XU coach was just interviewed on the pregame show and basically said they aren't going to wreck the kid's senior year for 1 game and leave him hobbling through the rest of the season. Not easy to sprain an ankle and be back in 2 days.

Comment

My guess is the trust him and let him try it, and yank him if anything goes even remotely awry.

Comment

JOSH FRIGGIN' DUNCAN!!!! Lavender was hobbled tonight...but he played...and hit some big free throws down the stretch. Lavender being in the game was a big mental boost tonight. He didn't really drive to the bucket until the last 4 mins of the game, when he hit a HUGE tear drop. He hit the final free throw to put the game away for X. Josh Duncan has been playing out of his mind the last 3 games. In the last 2 games, he hasn't missed a shot from the field. He was perfect from the field agains Charlotte and again tonight.

Hard to predict that Baron would go ofer from the field tonight...but he had Burrell guarding him most of the night.

Based on the last 5 games....take X in the first half and take the other team in the 2nd half. X has led by 7+ in the last few games at half...only to sweat out close games in the second half. Its a disturbing trend as an X fan...but one that seems to be consistent as a gambler.

Hope everyone hit their games tonight!!

GO X!

Comment

josh duncan was an animal ......for a big dude he can step out and hit that 3.......X tried real hard for about 10mins in the 2h to blow that game.....were down 3 when barrell (i believe) hit like an nba 3 at the end of the shot clock to tie it .....he misses that who knows what happens
                ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Working...
                X