No announcement yet.

OVEN MITT & JoePa's Basketball Joke Section

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOOD LUCK on yer test Shovelman! Hope ya get dug out soon.....and what's that earbud you've got in your ear? Vaz relaying the answers to ya?:laughing:
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

And here's the game story.......

One win from state - Garaway tops Fairland as Gerber has big night
      By JEFFERY WILLIAMS jeff.williams@timesreporter.com

ATHENS — Entering the Ohio University Convocation Center on Wednesday night for the Division III regional semifinals against Fairland, Garaway’s boys were all new when it came to the Sweet 16. None of the current players were on the team when the Pirates last visited Athens and won both games en route to a Division III state runner-up finish in 2003. But there is one similarity between this year’s version of the Pirates and the 2003 version.

Call it “The Gerber Factor.”

The Pirates (22-3) had a tough time for two quarters but were able to finish off Fairland 67-57 to advance to the regional finals Saturday against 15-8 Columbus Bishop Ready at 1 p.m. Ready defeated Wheelersburg 48-46 in the early game last night. When Garaway beat Marion Pleasant 40-26 in the regional finals in 2003, junior guard Ryan Gerber had 17 points to lead the way. As this year’s Pirates stepped to the floor clinging to a 26-23 halftime lead, little brother Tyler (a senior) was not to be outdone.

Gerber scored 13 of the Pirates’ 21 points in the third quarter as they took a 47-37 lead into the final eight minutes. Of those points he didn’t score directly, he contributed two assists on two of the other three baskets. He had three steals as well. For the game, he had 28 points, nine steals, six assists and five rebounds.

“We played here in a summer league and I remember shooting extremely well here,” said Tyler, who hit 9 of 17 shots from the field with 4 of 8 from 3-point range. “I just love the atmosphere and how it looks. It’s perfect to my eyes.”

Fairland coach Chad Belville said he felt his team defended Gerber well.

“We were in his face,” said Belville. “He’s a good player and that’s what good players do.”

Another Gerber, junior post player David, also quietly had an outstanding night as he tossed in 12 points and snared 10 rebounds with five blocks.

“Most of my points came when Tyler got me the ball or stickbacks off rebounds,” said David. “It was hard inside tonight going against 6-4 and 6-5 and they were physical. I just tried to work hard.”

In foul trouble for much of the first three quarters, freshman Paul Honigford came alive in the fourth quarter for Garaway, scoring eight of his 10 points. He finished with eight rebounds and five blocked shots. Guard Chase Stingel added 11 points, hitting six free throws in the final period. Garaway coach Dave Shutt was pleased with his team, which shot a solid 22 of 42 from the field and held a commanding 39-22 rebounding edge and overcame 26 turnovers.

“Survive and advance, that’s it,” said Shutt with a smile. “You know what, only about 10 of those turnovers were uncharacteristic of us. Those kids (from Fairland) were physical, they were quick kids.

“Live for another day and practice No. 76... that’s what we want right now.”

While Tyler Gerber got off for four 3-pointers in five attempts and 12 points to lead Garaway to a 14-8 first-quarter lead, he was held to just three points in the second quarter as the Pirates added to their uncharacteristic 7-turnover first period and turned the ball over five more times in the second.

Michael Lamb scored five of his seven first-half points and Dustin Bumgardner added all six of his points in the second quarter to lead the Dragons, who shot 5 of 10 from the field. Then the second half hit and the Pirates went on to the rout.

Fairland was led by Bumgardner with 16 points and Lamb and Chris Ward with 11 each.

Now it’s live another day for the Pirates, who got to watch a classic sports movie en route to Athens.

“We put on Hoosiers on the bus ride here so who knows,” said Shutt. “We’ve been preaching since Day 1 that we want to get to practice No. 80 (which would get them to the state tournament).”
      Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
      X