This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW'S THIS FOR UNDER PRESSURE?:

John McCain's capture and imprisonment began on October 26, 1967. He was flying his twenty-third bombing mission over North Vietnam, when his A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi.[33][34] McCain fractured both arms and a leg, and then nearly drowned, when he parachuted into Trúc Bạch Lake in Hanoi.[33] After he regained consciousness, a crowd attacked him, crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt, and bayoneted him;[33] he was then transported to Hanoi's main Hoa Lo Prison, nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton".[34]

McCain being pulled from Truc Bach Lake in Hanoi and becoming a POW[35] on October 26, 1967.Although McCain was badly wounded, his captors refused to treat his injuries, instead beating and interrogating him to get information.[36] Only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a top admiral did they give him medical care.[36] His status as a prisoner of war (POW) made the front pages of The New York Times[37] and The Washington Post.[38]

McCain spent six weeks in the hospital while receiving marginal care.[33] Now having lost 50 pounds (23 kg), in a chest cast, and with his hair turned white,[33] McCain was sent to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi[39] in December 1967, into a cell with two other Americans who did not expect him to live a week.[40] In March 1968, McCain was put into solitary confinement, where he would remain for two years.[41]

In mid-1968, McCain's father was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and McCain was offered early release.[42] The North Vietnamese wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes,[43] and also wanted to show other POWs that elites like McCain were willing to be treated preferentially.[42] McCain turned down the offer of repatriation; he would only accept the offer if every man taken in before him was released as well.[33]

In August of 1968, a program of severe torture began on McCain.[44] He was subjected to rope bindings and repeated beatings every two hours, at the same time as he was suffering from dysentery.[33][44] Further injuries led to the beginning of a suicide attempt, which was stopped by guards.[33] After four days, McCain made an anti-American propaganda "confession".[33] He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable,[45] but as he would later write, "I had learned what we all learned over there: Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine."[46] His injuries left him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head.[47] He subsequently received two to three beatings per week because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.[48] Other American POWs were similarly tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements.[49]

Interview with McCain on April 24, 1973, after his return home.McCain refused to meet with various anti-war groups seeking peace in Hanoi, wanting to give neither them nor the North Vietnamese a propaganda victory.[50] From late 1969 on, treatment of McCain and many of the other POWs became more tolerable,[51] while McCain continued to be an active resister against the camp authorities.[52] McCain and other prisoners cheered the B-52-led U.S. "Christmas Bombing" campaign of December 1972 as a forceful measure to push North Vietnam to terms.[46][53]

Commanding officer, liaison to Senate, and second marriage
    Altogether, McCain was held as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years. He was finally released from captivity on March 14, 1973.[54] McCain's return to the United States reunited him with his wife and family. His wife Carol had suffered her own crippling ordeal during his captivity, due to an automobile accident in December 1969.[55] As a returned POW, McCain became a celebrity of sorts.[55]

McCain underwent treatment for his injuries, including months of grueling physical therapy,[56] and attended the National War College in Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. during 1973–1974.[16][55] Having been rehabilitated, by late 1974, McCain had his flight status reinstated,[55] and in 1976 he became commanding officer of a training squadron stationed in Florida.[55][57] He turned around an undistinguished unit and won the squadron its first Meritorious Unit Commendation.[56] During this period in Florida, McCain had extramarital affairs, the McCains' marriage began to falter, and he would later accept blame.[58][59]

McCain served as the Navy's liaison to the U.S. Senate, beginning in 1977.[60] He would later say it represented "[my] real entry into the world of politics and the beginning of my second career as a public servant".[55] McCain played a key behind-the-scenes role in gaining congressional financing for a new supercarrier against the wishes of the Carter administration.[56][61]

In April of 1979,[56] McCain met and began a relationship with Cindy Lou Hensley, a teacher from Phoenix, Arizona, the only child of the founder of Hensley & Co.[59] Also in 1979, he pushed to end his marriage with his wife Carol, who accepted his request for a divorce in February of 1980; the divorce was effective in April of 1980.[20][56] The settlement included two houses, and financial support for her ongoing medical treatments for injuries resulting from the 1969 car accident; they would remain on good terms.[59] McCain and Hensley were married on May 17, 1980 with Republican Senator and future Secretary of Defense William Cohen serving as best man, and Democratic Senator Gary Hart was a groomsman.[59][12] John and Cindy McCain entered into a prenuptial agreement that keeps most of her family's assets under her name;[62] they would always keep their finances apart and file separate income tax returns.[62]

McCain decided to leave the Navy. He was unlikely to ever make full admiral, as he had poor annual physicals and had been given no major sea command.[63] In early 1981, he was told he would be made rear admiral; he declined the prospect, as he had already made plans to run for Congress and said he could "do more good there."[64]

McCain retired from the Navy on April 1, 1981[65] as a captain.[66] He was designated as disabled and awarded a disability pension.[67] Upon leaving the military, he moved to Arizona. His seventeen military awards and decorations include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star and Navy Commendation Medal, and are for actions before, during, and after his time as a POW.[66]

:beer2:

John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

let me start off by saying i don't plan on voting in November as i do not see a candidate i like and it would be me voting for which i dislike more, anyways your Wikipedia stuff is from 1967 when john McCain would have been around 30yrs old, hes now going to be 72........and has documented cases of blowing up under pressure and coming off with a temper in his later years in the Senate, so as for under pressure I will pass on a senior citizen with an ill temper and very fast to blow up under pressure, yes I respect his service to this country, but as for him working under pressure at his "young" age of 72 I will pass and would be more inclined to vote for a man in his mid 40's and more in touch with whats going on in America today, than a man whose 72 and out of touch and hot headed
      ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
      NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
      MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
      CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P99FV2DzC2o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P99FV2DzC2o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

looks like we have a difference on # 1 concerns this election seems like yours is the war in Iraq and my # 1 concern is the economy and jobs at home

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
          NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
          MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
          CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Actually, our differences are: Who is more competent to be the: President of the United States of America?

IMO, McCain can turn this **** around!

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
              Actually, our differences are: Who is more competent to be the: President of the United States of America?

IMO, McCain can turn this **** around!

least we can come together as tribe fans :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
              NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
              MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
              CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Originally posted by dananderson32 View Post
                least we can come together as tribe fans

:beerbang:

and here's to you not voting:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Comment

:beerbang:

and here's to you not voting:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
                  LOL not like my vote really matters in a heavy democratic state anyways

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                  NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                  MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                  CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

LOL not like my vote really matters in a heavy democratic state anyways

Tell your friends to do some research! DONT VOTE BLIND! :thumbs:

Comment

Tell your friends to do some research! DONT VOTE BLIND! :thumbs:
                      LOL my friends are more concerned with getting hammered and ******* bitches than registering to vote..........what can i say im the only degenerate/researched voter out of my friends not sure thats a good thing ?

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                      NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                      MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                      CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

LOL my friends are more concerned with getting hammered and ******* bitches than registering to vote..........what can i say im the only degenerate/researched voter out of my friends not sure thats a good thing ?
                        Ahh, the hell with it, On election day, get yourself and all your friends hammered, then go vote!

:thumbs:

Most of the time, people will make better decisions under the influence of alcohol.

:guzzle:
                        Last edited by homedawg; 07-18-2008, 07:02 AM.

Comment

This thread is a perfect example why political threads should (and were at one time) be banned. Just disgusting...this doesn't belong here...**** this...

:puke:
                          Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                            This thread is a perfect example why political threads should (and were at one time) be banned. Just disgusting...this doesn't belong here...**** this...

:puke:

Here in America, we have Freedom of Speech & We get to vote! :beer2:

Comment

Here in America, we have Freedom of Speech & We get to vote! :beer2:
                              Great. :thumbs:

Doesn't mean that garbage belongs here.
                              Predictem DOESN"T have total freedom of speech...

Comment

Does your mouse browse on its own, or do you have to control it, point & click?

I am sure there are more important things in your life to be concerned with, than what is posted on the internet.

:welcome:

Comment

Working...
                                X