Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must Read Article

Seeking Cinderella - NCAA Basketball - Yahoo! Sports

4 part series on 3 kids from GMason's team last year and it really puts it into perspective how these kids are the only ones who don't cash in on a tourney run.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Definite must read!

It's hard to believe they were on top of the world then reality slapped em in the face! Sucks how many people profited off them and they get nothing!

Good read FF!
    From one beer lover to another! Strohs Beer!

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

Comment

11 year , 6 billion dollar TV contract

And the players get nothing ..

:blackeye:
      Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
      (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
      (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
      (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
      (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

Originally posted by williwonka05 View Post
        And the players get nothing ..

:blackeye:
        Everyone seems to be forgetting about the free education they received from a quality university... The Northern Virginia area is an large economy in itself... a Bachelors degree from GMU pretty much gets you an entry level position for most firms in the area paying between 40-50k a year to start. I know these kids want to play bball for a living, but sometimes you just have to be realistic... I went to GMU, and got my bachelors degree there.... guess what? I'm still paying off my student loans.

Comment

Great article FF...Thats some bull**** for those kids...Did everything for that school when they got them to the Final Four...Hopefully everything starts working out better for them..

Comment

Originally posted by Skinsfan View Post
            Everyone seems to be forgetting about the free education they received from a quality university... The Northern Virginia area is an large economy in itself... a Bachelors degree from GMU pretty much gets you an entry level position for most firms in the area paying between 40-50k a year to start. I know these kids want to play bball for a living, but sometimes you just have to be realistic... I went to GMU, and got my bachelors degree there.... guess what? I'm still paying off my student loans.
            I just don't think that is enough. Not when somebody is paying 6 BILLION dollars to televise the games ..

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
            (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
            (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
            (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
            (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

check this out

Acing These Finals, But Falling Short of Graduation - washingtonpost.com

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
              (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
              (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
              (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
              (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

willi - I know and agree with you that graduation rates for college athletes are bad across the country, in general.... however, let's remember a couple things.... The players that are not graduating are being given the CHANCE... for free. Let's be honest and stop beating around the bush.... the players that don't graduate are either A) going to the professional level early (which is fine by me... the whole purpose of going to college is to improve your marketability in whatever field you choose... be it sports or business or law or whatever) or B) people that would not ordinarily even gone to college either because of lack of ambition or lack of money. Whatever the reason it is, without an athletic scholarship, these athletes who are not graduating would never even have stepped foot in the door on day 1.... at least they were given the opportunity. Thats a lot more than can be said for the vast majority of the world.

Comment

What about transfers ?

That has to bring the number down as well .. And that should not be factored in to the graduation rates IMO.

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
                  (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
                  (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
                  (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
                  (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

i am with my TAG TEAM partner skins on this one for the most part with respect to earning a free education (which isn't really free). The problem is when you are realistic is that most of these kids are from the hood and came from bad school systems from inner cities. They are ill equipped to go interview for a job and come off polished. Just becuase you have a piece of paper that says diploma, doesn't mean you will interview well or have the skillset to be in the corporate world. Heck, half they guys they interview after games can't string a sentence together...now go sit in front of a VP of operations or sales for a good company. The fact that you poster dunked on some stiff last year has no relevance. When you see that just about everyone got a nice chunk of change off that run (coach make 300K more a year, AD got a fat new contract, school made millions in gear sales, fans on Ebay), it doesn't equate out.

There are kids who graduate in 3 years and move on to great things. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of kids out there who do take advantage of the free education. Problem is, there are a lot who just don't have the skillset to do so. They aren't articulate, and went to poor school systems in inner cities where the education they got pales in comparison to what a kid like i got in a great suburban school system. I don't know what the answer is, but it is kind of harsh to read that article and see kids who basically got everyone around them a fat piece of change.
                    Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I feel bad for the rich suburban kids who work hard to make a basketball team but just don't have the ability to play the game like the poor inner city kids and have to ride the pine. That student athlete had time to think realistically about what he is going to do with himself after college is over and makes a wise decision to us his mental ability to succeed.

GO BUCKS!!!

Comment

On the fence!

I'm on the fence on this one. Yes I agree they are getting a free education. I didn't get a free one and had to pay for my own. At the same time what did these guys bring to their school and conference...how many kids get a free ride and bring squat to the school and are disruptive in classes...I've seen it I had one of them kicked out of my class. It's amazing what you start thinking at 18 when you have to pay for your own schooling. I don't know what the answer is and I do know life ain't fair!

Ah hell it's just about beer thirty!! :drunk:
                        From one beer lover to another! Strohs Beer!

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                          There are kids who graduate in 3 years and move on to great things. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of kids out there who do take advantage of the free education. Problem is, there are a lot who just don't have the skillset to do so. They aren't articulate, and went to poor school systems in inner cities where the education they got pales in comparison to what a kid like i got in a great suburban school system. I don't know what the answer is, but it is kind of harsh to read that article and see kids who basically got everyone around them a fat piece of change.
                          I agree with this, but you have to agree that the ability to be in school only improves on chances to be succesful in a non-basketball life. It has unlimited potential (technically) with no risk. As you said, most of these kids are brought up in bad socio-economic settings... but at least they are getting the opportunity to better themselves.... I really don't think they should be paid for their success on the court.

What the REAL problem is, imho, is how ridiculously low the standards are for student athletes. They hardly have to take any classes, and they barely have to pass. Now, i understand being a student athelete is a full time committment. I can understand them being allowed to take on a lighter workload (3-4 classes a semester). But many schools only require a 1.8 or 2.0 GPA to be eligble to play. If you really want to improve these kids lives (the ones that really have no chance of going pro, which is the vast vast majority of student athletes), perhaps the extra revenue should be re-invested in extra resources for the kids.... more/better tutoring, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that plenty of Academic disciplines engage in projects that result in increased revenue/notoriety for the university. To my knowledge, any sort of project/research performed is considered university equity, and the students are not financially compensated. What these students get is their name associated with the accomplishment, which they can use to improve their marketability when they are looking for a job. Pretty similar to collegiate sports.

Finally, another thing to consider is that it works the same way in reverse. If a college lands a top recruit... and that recruits leaves early to go pro before delivering "the promised land" payday for the university.... the collegiate program is not entitled to any reimbursement from the player. Take Durant for example.... Texas knew they landed a gem... Durant received tons of exposure by being on the team (i.e. being able to be on TV, in front of scouts, etc), and will most likely leave after this year. Yet, Texas did not (arguably) get everything they expected out of him. Durants draft status most likely improved significantly by attending Texas for one year. Is Texas entitled to any of the increased income Durant will receive?

Comment

Skins- all points are valid. The real problem, IMO is that the great majority of these kids have ZERO chance at playing in the NBA which is really the only league that pays better than a city worker (nothing against city workers). You figure there are 320 D-1 schools who have an average of say 4 graduating seniors a year. That's roughly 1300 kids a year (plus euros and HS kids) who are going after about 50-60 spots in the NBA. That equates to about 5% of the pool getting into the NBA. So what happens to the other 95%? Lets face it, hoops is getting more and more inner city by day. Inner city schools have really ****ty academic standards (LA might be the worst...even the cincinnati public schools were just awful when i grew up there...i was lucky and went to a nice school in the burbs) and most of these kids graduate HS with about a 6th grade reading level. Which is where i really agree with you about helping kids with their skillsets through tutoring, mentoring etc.....the problem there is that just about every kid who goes to the D-1 level (outside of kids from schools like Bucknell, Harvard etc) think they are going to be in the NBA. They need to understand what life holds ahead of them outside of the gym and the playround. This is where the universities fall WAY short. Most kids end up with no fall back plan, either. And my MAIN problem is that the schools really use the kids. They don't have the kids best interest in mind. They are about one thing (and you see it when guys like tubby get run out)...finding kids to win and generate revenue. They don't care about the kids skins. That is my main problem. Do you really think OSU cared what Katzenmoyer the LB took to get eligible 2 or 3 years ago? He took golf, aids awareness and was a T.A. Yeah, that's really great. They just wanted to find 3 classes he could pass and get him on the field. That isn't as bad when it's a kid like Katzenmoyer who most likely has a pro future ahead of him, but when you marginalize another kid's education to get him on the field who might be a 7th round pick if lucky, that does nothing for that kid. And these kids believe what they hear from agents and everyone trying to get a piece of them. Hey, you're gonna be a lottery pick, you'l get drafted for sure. Anyone remember Scotty Thurmond of Arkansas? Think he wishes he hadn't listened to everyone around him? You basically have 19-21 year old kids who have very little guidance from anywhere who are generating millions for univeristies and being left behind like a fart in the mall. The bottom line is that for every kid that uses a school like OSU or Texas like Durant and Odom have done, there are 10 kids who get left behind by a system that doesn't care. I have great parents. They helped me better myself and understand life. If i gave you the sweetest set of golf clubs skins, but never taught you how to swing the club, what value are the golf clubs? Same analogy with an education and these kids. They are mostly ill equipped to use it. And in the end, it is RARELY the universities who come out on the short end of the stick.
                            Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Andy Katzenmoyer

?

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
                              (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
                              (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
                              (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD