Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain/Letterman

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...-letterma.html

Dunno if this was posted earlier, but apologies if it was.

anyways I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this, and well form your own opinions.

For my part, I try (keyword: try) to always look at both sides, but have to admit I have a hard time, a lot of times, bias and emotion play a part but for the most I try to see both point of views.

When I first heard McCain's desire to suspend the campaign due to the economic crisis, I had mixed feelings, (not that it matters lol) but the more I thought about it, the fishier it smelt to me and it wasnt the 5 day old tuna sandwich I was eating.

Of course its been mentioned, why isnt Palin continuing while he's busy rescuing billionaire maniacs who screwed up and are getting a handout?

On the whole I thought he could spin it to work in his favor: Country first, plenty of time for debate later, etc...

but he and/or his campaign staff are handling it wrong IMO, could have really grabbed some good attention with this, but instead is screwing it up.

aka Nixon-on-camera without makeup vs. Kennedy, aka Dukakis in a tank, etc... this will be known as McCain snubbing Letterman.

Shouldn't be a big deal as it happens all the time, but Letterman really drummed him, and on national TV, and the Katie Couric interview just topped and validated it.

So my point is, I am curious if anyone is gonna dare call Letterman un-American for doing this?

and don't give me the he's a Vietnam Vet tirabe, I am really tired of hearing it, it does not excuse you from all of life's sins for being a hero for 5 years while acting questionably the other 40. A free pass so to speak.

I am not afraid to say it, I am not Bill Clinton or David Letterman, there will be no P.R. backlash (I don't think so at least lol) if I dare insult the man.

And the thing is I dont even have that much a problem with him lol, I actually wanted to vote for him (if I was legally of age) back in 96 when he first ran. But this is not the man that ran back in 96, and I've never heard, "I was in the navy, I was a POW" from 96-2006 as much as I've heard it since January 2008.

JMO
    :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
    -Big Pimpin-

:laughing:

Obama didn't want anything to do with McCain during the town hall meetings!

John McCain McCain Challenges Obama to 10 Town Hall Meetings

Obama Backs Away From McCain Town Hall Challenge

McCain Will do the debate! :thumbs:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_I3Gr-O2Ak&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_I3Gr-O2Ak&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last edited by homedawg; 09-25-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

October 16, 2008, 3:53 pm
      The Wall Street Journal

This Time, Nothing Will Keep McCain Away from Letterman

Laura Meckler reports from Philadelphia on the presidential race.

John McCain is all set to make up with David Letterman tonight—even if it takes a helicopter to bring him into New York City for the show.

McCain took all sorts of hazing for blowing off the late night talk show host when he “suspended” his presidential campaign to go back to Washington to help deal with the financial crisis. Letterman told his audience that McCain was supposedly on his way to the capital, only to see on the internal video system that he was actually elsewhere in the building talking to Katie Couric.

Ever since, Letterman has been giving McCain grief in extended monologues recounting how McCain could have come to the show if he really wanted to.

“He couldn’t come here and talk to me for like 30 seconds and announce to you, the American public, `Hey, the economy is cratering,’” Letterman said Wednesday night on his show. “That would have been fine. Everybody would have looked good if that had happened. But it didn’t happen and so now, he’ll be here tomorrow. He’s got a lot of explaining to do.”

McCain was set for the reunion. But there was a glitch: the notoriously clogged air travel around New York City prevented his plane from flying in from Philadelphia, where he was campaigning this afternoon. So McCain is ditching his campaign plane, most of his staff and the entire press corps to take a helicopter into New York.

He’ll land at a heliport on the west side of Manhattan with just five people along for the ride: his wife, Cindy; aides Brooke Buchanan and Meghan Latcovich; and two Secret Service agents.
      Last edited by homedawg; 10-16-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Skip Letterman again? No way, McCain says
        By BETH FOUHY – 1 hour ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — John McCain has learned the hard way not to risk the wrath of David Letterman.

That's why the Republican presidential nominee flew by helicopter to New York Thursday to tape the "Late Show" with David Letterman" after a weather delay grounded his campaign plane.

McCain was supposed to appear on the show Sept. 24 but abruptly canceled after briefly suspending his campaign to return to Washington to deal with the financial crisis. Since then, Letterman has regularly lampooned the Arizona senator on the show.

McCain headlined a campaign event in Pennsylvania Thursday and planned to fly to New York that afternoon before his plane was delayed for several hours on the tarmac in Philadelphia. So McCain rented a helicopter and flew to New York with his wife, Cindy, a small Secret Service detail, and a handful of staff while the candidate's traveling press was left behind.

Comment

this is akin to 8 years ago when a correspondent for Jay Leno wanted a hug from all the big dogs in the presidential race from the VPs to the Presidential elects themselves, and Bush Jr. gave her a hug but Al Gore snubbed her.

As a result, Al Gore received some backlash as well, and ended up doing a bit for Jay Leno asking for the girl's forgiveness and resulting in him appearing on the show giving her a hug.

:thumbs:
          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
            this is akin to 8 years ago when a correspondent for Jay Leno wanted a hug from all the big dogs in the presidential race from the VPs to the Presidential elects themselves, and Bush Jr. gave her a hug but Al Gore snubbed her.

As a result, Al Gore received some backlash as well, and ended up doing a bit for Jay Leno asking for the girl's forgiveness and resulting in him appearing on the show giving her a hug.

:thumbs:
            IMO, McCain had a very good reason to cancel, and he did the debate! :thumbs:

Comment

<object width="600" height="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dU6MyLLTK8Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dU6MyLLTK8Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="600" height="450"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...
              X