From Mark Cuban...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Mark Cuban...

You may like him or vehemently dislike him, but it struck me.

I voted for President Elect Obama.

The rest of my votes went almost exclusively to Republicans , Libertarians and Independents.

In looking at the Democratic platform, there are a few things I agree with, but on the economic side, other than being ok with him raising my effective tax rate to 40pct, there isn’t a lot of his economic policy that I do agree with him on. So why did I vote for him ?

Its simple. Having an elected black President will do more to energize this country than any economic or social policy ever could. In a single day of voting, our amazing country once again reinvigorated the dream that any child in this country, no matter what circumstances they are born into, can grow up to be anything they want, including President of the United States.

That dream, staying viable, being reinvigorated, will do more for this country than any economic policy or any legislation that could ever be passed.

I have said it before, the power of the American Spirit is what separates our country from every other. We have been able to overcome the stupidity that politicians do every year, and will do for ever more. The election of Barack Obama is a shot of adrenaline for those who felt they could never participate in the American Dream.

How do you stimulate and turn around the economy in this day and age ? Motivate those who in the past couldn’t , wouldn’t or didn’t, into those who can and do. Motivate those who can and do, to continue to innovate and increase productivity.

As any successful CEO will tell you, leadership, vision and motivation has far more impact on results than any tax cut or increase. While I prefer lower taxes, I can tell you that no entrepreneur or CEO worth a damn in this country gives up or works less because of a change in tax policy. In this country you work harder to achieve your dreams and goals.

I can honestly say that I never thought that I would see a black President in my lifetime. I’m incredibly proud and excited to be part of this moment in our history. I believe that the election of President Obama will energize many, many more of our fellow citizens to work harder to achieve our goals.

I’m Bullish on America.
    The bolded part is key. Bill Gates started Microsoft, Steve Jobs started Apple, Jeff Bezos started Amazon, and nearly every other great American business was started when tax rates were significantly higher than they are now. Of all the things that might change, I doubt that is one of them.

I obviously don't speak for even a majority of the people here generally, but specifically, I think having this over and done with is almost universally a good thing, so at least we know what the lay of the land is going to be.
    可你住在有趣的时代 - May you live in interesting times.

Visit wagertracker and participate in free contests and track your picks.

"Its simple. Having an elected black President will do more to energize this country than any economic or social policy ever could. In a single day of voting, our amazing country once again reinvigorated the dream that any child in this country, no matter what circumstances they are born into, can grow up to be anything they want, including President of the United States."

The untold story right there put in perfect words by Mark Cuban
    ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
    NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
    MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
    CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

So he voted for him because he is black. What a great way to make a decision:bang:

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
        So he voted for him because he is black. What a great way to make a decision:bang:
        As bad as voting against somebody because you think they're a terrorist? Or voting against somebody because they're black?

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
          As bad as voting against somebody because you think they're a terrorist? Or voting against somebody because they're black?
          My point is that using skin color, either way, is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
            Nah - if that were true, we would have elected Jesse Jackson.

I think it is because he ran a campaign where, despite the messianic behavior from some of those following him, he was pretty consistent in saying that it will require everyone to actually pitch in and get this done. The whole "rebuild it brick by brick" thing.

With some exceptions, he ran a campaign that, on the forward flank, was positive (I say forward flank because there certainly was some negative campaigning... albeit more in the background or in selected areas). During the infomercial (the 30 minute buy before game 7 of the WS) - McCain was not mentioned once. Part of that is the luxury of being the frontrunner - which admittedly allows you to run a more positive campaign. But even when he was behind in the polls, there was a sense of calm rationality in the public persona that, I believe, sold a lot of people and seemed presidential.

That all said, now he has to deliver. He has to govern from the middle. If he makes a huge left turn, ala Clinton in 92, he will be fkked. If there is anything to be said for the whole Wright/Ayers thing, it is the fact that he knows he can't possibly even appear to be sympathetic to people like that. Nor can he be sympathetic to the Sharpton/Jackson wing.

Look for Obama to surround himself with the likes of Buffet, Powell, Gates (the sec of defense, not the Microsoft head), and other moderates. When Democrats look at who is winning in swing states and traditional republican states, you get pragmatic moderates. Obama, now that he is looking toward 2012, will be committing electoral suicide if he governs from the far left.

Those that did not want Obama (HD cough, cough) should be thankful that Obama did not get a 60 seat majority in the senate. That sets up a situation where he governs much like Clinton did from 94-2000, rather than from 92-94.
            可你住在有趣的时代 - May you live in interesting times.

Visit wagertracker and participate in free contests and track your picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish2006 View Post
              Nah - if that were true, we would have elected Jesse Jackson
              Absolutely hysterical...and sadly very true! :thumbs:
              White crushed Americans need weird energy - Robert Pollard

Comment

Working...
              X