• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunday college hoops

Best Bets (16-18)(-11.40)
    Strong Plays (25-18)(+10.40)
    Regular Plays (41-31)(+6.90)

Overall (82-67)(+5.90)

Took Saturday off. Only one play on Friday and it was a strong play winner with Columbia winning outright over Penn. It appears that I have at least temporarily stopped the bleeding and am headed back in the right direction.

BEST BETS

Illinois -2.5 vs Purdue
    N Iowa -2.5 vs Creighton

I just love those small home favorites in college basketball, especially with quality teams like Illinois and N Iowa. Home court make the difference in these two best bets.

STRONG PLAYS

Rhode Island +5 vs Temple……………I just feel Rhode Island is the better team even at Temple and getting five points is a bonus that I will take.

St Joes +2 vs U Mass………..Sticking with the same conference for my strong plays and a very similar play for me. I feel St Joes is better even at U Mass. I know I am going against my small home favorite theory, but the difference is U Mass is not a quality team that takes advatage of home court.

REGULAR PLAYS

Penn St -1.5 vs Wisconsin……….Wisky down this year and Penn State is way up. Only reason this line is this low is PSU got thumped at Michigan their last game. Don’t forget before that they to to Michigan State and won. Now they are back at home where they play decent even when they are not that good.

Stanford +1.5 vs Washington……….Not in love with this game, but I have done well with home dogs in this conference. I just smell an upset here. Stanford has a pretty decent team and this would not be a shocker to see them upset Washington…if you could even call it an upset.

NC State +8 vs Virginia Tech…………..Have to admit I am betting with my heart in this one. I am an NC State fan and they have a decent team. Virginia Tech is probably the better team, but if you look at their average score, they don’t blow teams out too often. My gut just tells me this will be a close game and NC State is due to win a game on the road outright. I think today is the day.

Good Luck Everybody!!

GL!...i have to tell you, though, that i am a home court guy myself but it really isn't the factor that you are making it out to be. It is really incredible to see the amount of road teams that are winning big matchups this year and it doesn't matter the conference. Home court still matters but not the way it used to. The Pac10 has been a road team's dream this year. GL!
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
      GL!...i have to tell you, though, that i am a home court guy myself but it really isn't the factor that you are making it out to be. It is really incredible to see the amount of road teams that are winning big matchups this year and it doesn't matter the conference. Home court still matters but not the way it used to. The Pac10 has been a road team's dream this year. GL!

I have to agree w/you for the most part here FF. However, it definitely depends on the team and the conference. Although it hasn't panned out this year like in years past, the B10 has always been a traditional homecourt advantage league. MSU had won 30-something straight before that was snapped by NU this year. Wisky had lost only 4 home games in 8 years under Bo Ratface Ryan. Illinois has 1 home loss this year (2 points to Clemson, a game they should have won) and throwing out last year, only averaged about 1 loss/year and earlier in the decade I know we had won 57 of 59 or something like that. Outside of the yearly bottom-feeders, it is tough to win on the road in the B10 and I'd say the fans are a big reason why. Some of the top student sections in the nation are in the conference like the Izzone, Orange Krush, Paint Crew, etc.
      In other conferences, I will agree that the homecourt advantage isn't as strong. Still, at places like Cameron Indoor, Joyce Center, the Dean Dome, etc, wins are hard to come by for visiting teams. Regardless of how good a team is and having the home court behind them, there is too much unpredictability and any given team can lose on any given day.
      Mid-majors are another category too, I think though. A lot of times when a mid-major can sustain conference dominance for a 4-6 year period or so, it's easy to pile up home wins. The stadiums are usually small enough to fill up on a nightly basis with students (as it's the popular thing to do on campus) and the local townsfolk. (I spose this is really true for schools w/o football teams - Marquette comes to mind - or where football wasn't big until recently - UCONN rings a bell. Neither are mid-majors but needed the evidence for that off-topic point). For these schools, SIU (early-mid 2000s), Utah, Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson, Creighton, etc, it's easier to rack up longer winning streaks. Defend home court during conference play and that's 8-10 wins/year. Then you have maybe a half dozen more home games against teams that are most likely inferior to you. Traditional powerhouses do not want to travel into these landmines. If anything, it will be a home-and-home, with the "home" for the mid-major being at a neutral site near campus but not actually on their home court.
      With all that being said, I actually have no idea what I've just blabbered about. Still, like I mentioned earlier, it depends on the team and conference but I do see what you're saying as it seems like home court has been less of a factor this year than in years past. Just my two cents, although that's about four to five cents worth I think.

Moose
      Moose

"Don't give up! Don't ever give up!" - Jimmy V

Comment

Originally posted by COACH DITKA View Post
        I have to agree w/you for the most part here FF. However, it definitely depends on the team and the conference. Although it hasn't panned out this year like in years past, the B10 has always been a traditional homecourt advantage league. MSU had won 30-something straight before that was snapped by NU this year. Wisky had lost only 4 home games in 8 years under Bo Ratface Ryan. Illinois has 1 home loss this year (2 points to Clemson, a game they should have won) and throwing out last year, only averaged about 1 loss/year and earlier in the decade I know we had won 57 of 59 or something like that. Outside of the yearly bottom-feeders, it is tough to win on the road in the B10 and I'd say the fans are a big reason why. Some of the top student sections in the nation are in the conference like the Izzone, Orange Krush, Paint Crew, etc.
        In other conferences, I will agree that the homecourt advantage isn't as strong. Still, at places like Cameron Indoor, Joyce Center, the Dean Dome, etc, wins are hard to come by for visiting teams. Regardless of how good a team is and having the home court behind them, there is too much unpredictability and any given team can lose on any given day.
        Mid-majors are another category too, I think though. A lot of times when a mid-major can sustain conference dominance for a 4-6 year period or so, it's easy to pile up home wins. The stadiums are usually small enough to fill up on a nightly basis with students (as it's the popular thing to do on campus) and the local townsfolk. (I spose this is really true for schools w/o football teams - Marquette comes to mind - or where football wasn't big until recently - UCONN rings a bell. Neither are mid-majors but needed the evidence for that off-topic point). For these schools, SIU (early-mid 2000s), Utah, Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson, Creighton, etc, it's easier to rack up longer winning streaks. Defend home court during conference play and that's 8-10 wins/year. Then you have maybe a half dozen more home games against teams that are most likely inferior to you. Traditional powerhouses do not want to travel into these landmines. If anything, it will be a home-and-home, with the "home" for the mid-major being at a neutral site near campus but not actually on their home court.
        With all that being said, I actually have no idea what I've just blabbered about. Still, like I mentioned earlier, it depends on the team and conference but I do see what you're saying as it seems like home court has been less of a factor this year than in years past. Just my two cents, although that's about four to five cents worth I think.

Moose

exactly. MSU has 2 home losses in the last 2 weeks. WIS lost a huge game last year at home to Purdue at the end of the season and they have lost twice in the big 10 already this year. PSU has 2 home conference losses, Michigan has 2 home conference losses....all upper echelon big10 teams (excpet WIS but as you mentioned they have had the strongest home court of all for a while). I have long played home teams in the MVC but even that conference is on longer a shoe in. Look at Creighton going to UNI today.

And as i mentioned, i can't even begin to name all the road wins for Pac10 schools. ASU has 5 of them in conference themselves.....Washington has 5 conference road wins too, Cal 2, UCLA 4 conference road wins.........

Home court still matters, but not the way it used to and i was starting to see that even last year.
        I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Working...
        X