The Field of 65

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Field of 65

Early for this but always fun. Ok, all the team atop the chart here I'm assuming are/will be in unless they have a sizable collapse (meaning 3 game losing streak for some, more for others):

IN - (29)
    ACC (4) - North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson
    BE (6) - Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Villanova, West Virginia (WVU's RPI is 6, who knew?)
    B10 (3) - Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois
    B12 (4) - Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Texas
    P10 (4) - Washington, UCLA, Arizona State, California
    SEC (2) - Kentucky, LSU
    MWC (2) - Utah, BYU
    USA (1) - Memphis
    A10 (1) - Xavier
    WCC- (1) - Gonzaga
    HOR (1) - Butler

+ (18) absolute one bid conferences I'm not going to bother to list. = 47 TOTAL IN

The only ones I'm a bit lenient on are Cal and Butler. Butler loses twice more overall and they're gone, IMHO. They have no huge wins like they've had in the past. Cal could go awry with a bad road trip somewhere too I guess.

PROBLEMS
    Utah State and Davidson. Both are in now, but it will be interesting to see what happens if either loses their respective tournament. Utah State is not good. I'm sorry, they're not. Their schedule couldn't be any more of a joke if a 3rd grader came up with up. Morrill should be embarrassed of himself. The committee will assume Davidson is one and done in the tournament if Curry isn't back, so that's an interesting case as well. Like I said, for now, they're both in so that makes 49...

16 LEFT FOR:
    Boston College, Florida State, Virginia Tech
    Syracuse, Cincinnati
    Arizona, USC
    Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin
    South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida
    San Diego State
    Dayton
    Saint Marys (assuming Mills comes back)

:thumbs:

I agree with you on Utah St. They will be considered maybe a 9 seed. Whoever they play they will get smoked.

The Gamecocks I feel could go far in the tourney. Not win it all but a possible Eight. UCONN and Pitt are the 2 big ones. Hell of a game on Monday.

Homer alert: Cleve. St. could get in. They are playing good ball and have that win at Syracuse. Might be a 13 or 14 seed.

Dayton is another tough player that could be seeded high. Should get an at-large.
    NCAAF '12: 11-16-0, -7.90 units.
    O/U:4-2, +1.80 units.
    Teasers:
    Rothstein's leans:
    Double Digit Home Dogs:9-7-1, +1.30 units.
    NCAAB '11-'12: 128-123-0, -10.80 units.
    O/U: 46-38, +2.80 units.
    Rothstein's "leans":
    Double Digit Home Dogs: 36-20-3, +13.10 units.

Comment

lmao that you don't have OSU in the tournament. They have beaten 6 ranked teams this year (ranked at the time they beat them), they have an RPI of 22 and schedule strength of 21. Only a huge collapse will keep them out of the tournament.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

why do you have BYU in over OSU....:dunno:

RPI 34. BYU SOS 66 19 - 5 0.6049 2 - 3 3 - 2 4 - 0 3 - 0 6 - 0

they have ZERO wins over a top 25 team, i mean you want to talk about a joke of a schedule, go check theirs out. NO wins over anyone decent out of conference.

RPI 26. Ohio St. SOS 25 17 - 6 0.6133 4 - 6 3 - 0 2 - 0 5 - 0 3 - 0

they have nonconference wins over Miami(21 at time), ND (7 at time), Butler then Purdue (12), Minnesota (19), beat Michigan twice (not easy...that is a rivalry for starters and Michigan has beaten some good teams at home and OSU killed them on the road). OSU has ZERO losses outside of the RPI top 50 and you don't have them in....:dunno:

big ten is also the #1 conference in SOS and #2 in conference RPI so i don't want to hear anything about the big10 being not a good league. they have more quality non conference wins than any other conference..... it has a lot of solid teams this year that could do damage in a tournament where there are few great "lock" type teams.

other than that i don't disagree with anything else. but my lord cuse, if you are going to take BYU you need to put OSU in the "in" category. OSU has 2 more wins over the top 100 to boot.

you were ripping on Utah State in a thread yesterday. BYU is a glorified Utah State.

I personally think barring a major collapse OSU is in the tournament. I haven't heard anyone "expert wise" disagree with that in fact Rivals has them as a 6 seed in their mock right now. but if you insist on leaving out teams like Arizona (RPI 44, SOS 40, 6-5 over top 50 and wins over Gonzaga, Kansas, UCLA, Washington and then SDSU and Weber State both of whom lead their conferences) and Ohio State, please remove BYU from that "in list".....that is offensive......lol....
        Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-16-2009, 02:50 AM.
        I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I can see VT missing out if they don't come up with a big win or two to end conference play or in the acc tourney. They haven't done much lately and other than beating Wake which doesnt look too impressive lately could keep them out. I think BC is in now.

Comment

Flyers:

1- I have them in the tournament, just not locked in. EEEEEEEEasy, Mr Simpson.

2- What RPI are you looking at? I have BYU at 15 and OSU at 41 on the Pomeroy numbers. The official RPI's are usually with 3-5 spots, and that's a rather LARGE statistical difference, lol. BYU was in based on that number, but if KP has changed something and his rankings are bogus, I'll have to find another tool. I'm certainly not paying for the "real" RPI numbers, lol. It's not that important.

3- I don't put any creedence into the "at the time" argument. For me they should only be considered Top 50 wins if the team finishes inside the Top 50 at the end of year. That number/record should be fluid. Just my personal preference again, though (althoug hI think that's how it's calculated by Lunardi and company).

And OSU's non-conference SOS, which is important to me personally in how I do this, is 211. BYU's is 137. OSU's overall schedule gets bumped up (and not listed as 25 on this site anyway) because they are paying a bunch of Big 10 teams who are all 16-6, 17-7, etc etc. Anyway, just wondering if you could email me the site you used for the RPI and we can continue this debate after I've looked it over.

Again, let me reiterate, OSU right now would be in the tournament field of 65.
            Last edited by CuseFan10; 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daws1089 View Post
              I can see VT missing out if they don't come up with a big win or two to end conference play or in the acc tourney. They haven't done much lately and other than beating Wake which doesnt look too impressive lately could keep them out. I think BC is in now.
              All the teams in that bottom 16 could miss out, I agree. Hence why I wrote it the way I did. :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                All the teams in that bottom 16 could miss out, I agree. Hence why I wrote it the way I did. :thumbs:
                I dig it man:thumbs: . That's why I always value different opinions. I like to look at all angles before I place a bet.
                NCAAF '12: 11-16-0, -7.90 units.
                O/U:4-2, +1.80 units.
                Teasers:
                Rothstein's leans:
                Double Digit Home Dogs:9-7-1, +1.30 units.
                NCAAB '11-'12: 128-123-0, -10.80 units.
                O/U: 46-38, +2.80 units.
                Rothstein's "leans":
                Double Digit Home Dogs: 36-20-3, +13.10 units.

Comment

Working...
                X