• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's 2/10 Baskets

JOEPA'S UPDATED YTD: 258 - 233 - 7
    UNITS: -1.00
    2/9: 3 - 3
    MAC: 63 - 40 - 1 (2/9: 1-1)

Classes canceled for the morning so I have a little time for some write-ups....something I've gotten away from because there's not much time after work before games!

EASTERN MICHIGAN +6.5 @ Buffalo - Bulls still getting too much respect and that's the reason I played against them at 10pt. favs at Toledo of all places, and UB couldn't cover. Tonight they get a very good Eagles squad that boasts 4 MAC Player of the week award winners this season---2 to guard Carlos Medlock. Medlock is on fire averaging 23ppgs vs. Ohio (31pts) and Kent, and he's just one of a trifecta of players getting it done for EMU. Brandon Bowdry is a load inside and Buffalo will struggle to stop him, he scored 17pts and snagged 15 rebounds vs. Ohio (his 12th double-double this season), and Justin Dobbins added 12pts and 10 rebounds. EMU is off to their best season start at 12-11 since the 99-00 season. UB is 2-3 vs. the West division with wins over Toledo (0-10) and NIU (4-6). Last season the Bulls played in the MAC title game but they have not produced this season and are 5-5 in MAC play and 12-9 overall. They lost their last two home games to WMU and Ball State. The Bulls are weak inside and if Pierce and Smiley aren't knocking down the 3s they struggle. EMU is a dangerous team and has beaten OU (UB lost to them by 22), won at Akron, and lost a hotly contested game vs. Kent (UB got blown out by the Flashes), and their 4-6 league mark does not tell the true story of this team.

FLORIDA +2 @ South Carolina - Florida still not getting any love and is a very good shooting team. Over their last 5 games they have shot nearly 50% in two of them, one a 1pt loss at Tennessee when it looked as if they'd win. The Gators are 6-1 in their last 7 and they average 72ppg on the road, and are among the nation's best in points allowed at just over 62ppg. The Gamecocks hopes rest in the hands on Devin Downey who is the do-it-all for his team. USC has lost 4 of their last 6 games and in 4 those game shot less than 35% from the floor. They do have that huge home win over Kentucky but managed to shoot just 34% for the game, but then took a bad beat at Tennessee. They have a revenge game with rival Georgia on tap for Saturday. Florida really wants to go into the Xavier game this weekend on an up note when those host the Muskies on national TV! Just read Coach Spurrier's (Ole Ball Coach) thread about an injury to Downey so that makes my play on even more solid footing, with apologies to Mr, Downey!

BALL STATE +15 @ Kent State - Totally surprised when I saw how high this line was. I thought it would be more in the -9 to -11 range and it opened at -13.5 and has climbed to -15. This is a meeting between two of the top teams in the league at this point of the season. Ball State is 6-4 in MAC play and 12-10 overall, while Kent is 8-2 in league play and 17-7 overall. The Cardinals have won 6 of their last 8 while Kent has won 7 in a row. However, the Cards are 4-1 SU versus the East while Kent is a perfect 5-0 vs. the West. BSU halted a Miami winning streak a couple of weeks ago and won at OU a tough place to play if you ask WMU who got blown out there last night, and Akron and Kent who escaped with narrows wins. Outside of two blowout wins over Toledo (20) and NIU (30) Kent has escaped with wins over WMU on a dunk and free throw with 2 seconds left, won @ EMU by 7 losing a comfortable halftime lead, and won @ CMU by 5 after trailing by 11 with 12 minutes left in the game and going on a huge run. The interesting match up in this game will be the two sophomore centers, Kent's Justin Greene (15ppg and 7 rebs) vs. Jarrod Jones (12ppg and 7.5 rebs). Kent has 4 players averaging in double figures---three at 11ppg, while BSU has just two player in double figures at 12ppg and 11ppg. Defense will be the key in tonight's match up and if BSU can control Rod Sherman's penetration to the hoop. At first glace you might also consider the UNDER a play on this game as it features two of the top MAC defenses. BSU is ranked 1st allowing 61.1ppg and Kent is ranked 4th allowing 64.1ppg. However, 5 of BSU's last 6 games have gone OVER the total, while 4 of KSU's last 5 home games have gone OVER the total. The total is set at 123 for this game. It's Ray McCallum's last shot at an East "biggie" until the conference tournaments and the Cards get no rest as they have 3 straight games in which to avenge early conference losses starting this weekend, while Kent will travel to UB a place where they have notoriously struggled. I think Kent will win the game, but feel that Ball State and a long day to sit around with canceled classes will make it closer than the Flashes want. Kent's largest margin of victory in the series over the last 7 meetings has been 13pts. with the average margin of victory being 7pts.

DREXEL +1.5 @ Hofstra - The Dragons beat Jimmy Hoffa-stra two weeks ago on their home floor by 13 and then started a little bit of a roll. They won @ Northeastern by 12, lost @ Bill & Mary by just 3, blasted Towson by 42, and then beat George Mason whose been on a nice run, 73-60. Jimmy meanwhile, beat nobodies UNCM, Delaware, and JMU, but lost at home by 20 to Northeastern and in the games against NE and Drexel, the better teams they have faced the last couple of week, they shot just 32%. The Dragons are 7-1 ATS @ Hofstra and 6-2 SU in those games.

RICHMOND +6 @ Rhode Island - Richmond off their big win over Temple where they shot 58% as they travel to RIU with some real momentum. The Spiders are 18-6 overall and 7-2 in the A-10 while the Rams are 19-3 and 7-2. UR is 3-1 on the road in A-10 play this year and this team really knows how to take care of the ball. They are 2nd in the league in turnover margin at +3.8 which is 21st in the nation, are 39th in turnover with just 12 per game, and they average 8.3 steals per game and have made more steals than turnovers in 8 games this season. Kevin Anderson leads them in scoring at 17.7ppgs and David Gonzalvez can light it up from range with 50 3s on the season. They won vs. Temple 71-54 in a game in which they never trailed, won @ St. Joe a tough place to play buy 10, blasted STL and won @ GW by 5. They lead the all-time series with RIU 9-5. RIU has won 4 in a row setup by a win at Dayton, and then won @ LaSalle, and beat UMass and GW at home. The win over the Flyers happened when UD muddled thru a 2-3 streak after losing to X, and then @ St. Joe. The home team owns the series with Richmond 7-0 at home, and RIU 5-1 at home.

IOWA +3.5 vs. Northwestern - Really backing the Hawks just because of a gut feeling. NW has been really good this year. Iowa has been really pedestrian and not winning at all. However, over the last few games, two against Ohio State and one against Illinois, the Hawkeyes have been really competitive and won't simply roll over and die. They're not looking past anybody on their schedule and maybe the Cats are looking forward to a revenger against Minnesota at home this weekend. Iowa has been really good from three lately and I guess I just want them to win. It seems they have the will, now they're looking for the way......they'll slow it down and keep the game within reach!

NORTHERN ILLINOIS +7 @ Bowling Green - The line is right about where I expected it to be! Everyone will look at the Huskies last outing against Miami,OH and assume that this team has finally gotten the train back on the track they started on at the beginning of the season. They started out MAC play winning against BSU, WMU, EMU and UT. However, when you look inside the stats for that game, you will find the Hawks had NIU down by 17 at the half, just as Akron did the game before with an 18 point lead only to substitute freely and allow NIU to make the score look more respectable. The truth is, that this NIU team has lost 6 straight games, 5 in a row coming to teams in the East and BG is an Eastern division team. In that stretch NIU has lost by an average of 13.7ppg and given up 90+ points 3 times (vs. OU, UA, and Buffalo). They are ranked last in the MAC in FG% and 11th in FT%. BGSU on the other hand has won 5 of their last 7 games at home and are 6-3 at home this season. They are coming off close losses to on the road to BSU and WMU despite shooting 50% against the Broncos. So why would anyone want to back NIU? They're due! And they are the MAC's 2nd best offensive rebounding team and best defensive rebounding team. And they have Xavier Silas and Colorado transfer who is averaging 20.5 ppg in MAC play and 19.5 ppg overall. And, they didn't just lay down after getting way behind against Akron and Miami two of the league's best, like they did lay down and roll over against Kent. Michael Patton and Sean Kowal give them fire power off the bench should Fikaude and/or DiNunno stumble. BG is a very balanced team. They also great rebounders in Otis Polk, Erik Marchall and Scott Thomas but they are average scorers. They also have Dee Brown who can get it done from the outside. The Falcons seem to be a more rounded team and their inside presence may neutralize anything the Huskies try to do down low so NIU must shoot the ball well from distance and control the BG guards to stay close and possibly pull off a stunner on the shoulders of Patton and Silas!

I'm looking at a couple of late games but won't have any write-ups with any adds.......
    More than likely if I do something.......liking Baylor -3 at Nebraska!

OVEN MITT YTD: 31 - 27 - 3
    2/9: 0 - 1

"DEFINITELY"
    WOFFORD -7.5 @ Furman

BOL to ya! :glass:
    Last edited by joepa66; 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

good stuff joe, that emu play looks real solid. buffalo really isnt very good, they were favored the same vs wmu and got blown out at home. definately an impressive road win emu had at akron

Comment

GL Joe, Had to long of a drive home from work to find anything I liked (Im on 2 NBA games though), Im liking SC over FLA game but im gonna stay off it, although I really should do it.. but I just cant root against you guys
      Last Wager placed 01/11/09 - Loss
      Taking a sabbatical from wagering

Comment

JOEPA'S UPDATED YTD: 261 - 237 - 7
        UNITS: -2.25
        2/10: 3 - 4
        MAC: 64 - 42 - 1 (2/10: 1-2)

OVEN MITT YTD: 32 - 27 - 3
        2/10: 1 - 0
        Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
        X