How do you guys cap games??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys cap games??

I'm going to try a new system out and was just curious to see how you guys went about capping your games. If you don't want to tell your "secrets" I understand....Anyway here are the picks I came up with using this combo of Sagarin, his SOS, and a value system for I have came up with, its based on past games, and team statistics. Blah blah blah, anyway here are the picks. I did 10 games from pick ems to to 20+spreads. Just want to post them here to keep up with and let everyone see how it does. DO NOT PLAY THESE JUST BECAUSE I POST THEM, I'M SURE AS HELL NOT. lol

Game 1- Nevada vs Fresno- -5.5. I came up with 5.25 for Fresno so there would be no value here really. The line would be true. Have to take Fresno at -5.5- Winner. Fresno won by 6

Game 2- Alabama vs Toledo- +24.5. I came up with the value of +14.72 for Toledo. So the play here would be Toledo.--Loss Toledo got spanked by 40+

Game 3- RI vs Florida- -11. Numbers came out to RI as a -9.97 dog. So play here would be RI. Loss RI got hammered here by 25

Game 4- FSU vs Auburn- +14. Numbers came out to +13.25. So really no value here. Would play FSU by the numbers though.-- Loss Auburn won by 5 but there was no value to even play this game if real money was in action.

Game 5- Iona vs Siena- +3. Numbers came out to Siena as a +.87 underdog. So value would be Siena+3--Winner Sienna actually won by 6 being a 3 pt dog.

Game 6- Northeastern vs James Madison- -7.5. Value would be James Madison as 12 pt favs- Loss JMU only won by 6

Game 7- Georgetown vs St. Johns- +3 Value would be St. Johns at +1.25 dog--Winner--St. Johns actually won by 3, and was a 3 pt dog.

Game 8- Drexel vs Hofstra- +11. Value would be Hofstra at +9.78 dog--Winner- Hofstra actually won by 6 being a 11 pt dog.

Game 9- Tenn Martin vs SEMO- -4. Value would be Tenn Martin at +3.11 dog- Loss
    SEMO won by 7.

Game 10- Buffalo vs Cornell- Value would be Buffalo at -1.65---Winner Buffalo won by 8 in a pick em.

So basically all this is, is me making my own lines for games. Just curious to see how this works, going to try it out and see how it does. If it bombs quickly, I'll scrap it and stop posting results. lol

P.s- It doesn't take into account injuries. Like Siena-Iona game. One of Sienas best players is probably not going to play due to injury. So as long as you use your brain, the logical pick would be to take Iona, using this system.
    Last edited by RiverBoat Gambler; 01-04-2011, 03:21 AM. Reason: posts
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No secrets here...lol...as I am down 4units on the year...Much better in the NBA, however...

I try to get a finger on the pulse of each league, each year...Try not to get too high on the hot teams, and too low on the cold teams -- you're never as bad as your worst game, never as good as your best...

Try to bet dogs a little more than favs, as there seems to be more value in them...same concept with UNDERS...

I also try to fade the public more often than not (I use a sight called SportsInsights - which gives you the percentage the public is betting on each game)...

That being said, I am having a tougher time in college hoops this year than the NBA -- probably because there are so many more teams in college hoops -- and my card in college hoops is always larger than it should be...

best of luck to you...!!!

~md
    Last edited by maddoggie; 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Good Luck RIVER BOAT

I'm not a systems guy..

I'm a gutfeeling first of all , and then i look at a few things.

This year i've been focusing on TURNOVERS... I wanna know who is SMARTER more than BETTER.

TURNOVERS kills me . I wanna go crazy when i am on the side that keeps turning the damn ball over.

And can you shut down the 3 point line. If you can't play good 3 point defense your gonna be in trouble.

I agree with Maddoggie in regards to betting more dogs too . especially the ones at home getting 1-3
      Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
      (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
      (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
      (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
      (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

Unders

Second Half overs KILLED ME last season.

CLANK , CLANK , CLANK ...
        :bang:

i agree value in unders. especially first half unders ...
        Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
        (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
        (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
        (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
        (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

yeah - - I am not a big systems guy either..have a tried a few, never seem to pan out...

however...I have been crunching numbers recently...based upon percentage of the public bet, point spread, and home and away team -- some interesting results...although I don't have enough data yet to really yield any significant edge...

~md

Comment

I simply follow the teams I like to bet. I don't like a big card so I keep it simple. I hedge my value picks heavily to cover my marginal ones. My system seems to work so far being up 33 units.

Comment

GL RBG! :thumbs:
              Wouldn't know how to come up with a system....but I do use SOS, last 5 games, steals, and FG % along with FT %, and throw in alot of gut feeling. I look at trends but unless one team is totally dominant over another in that area, I don't give it alot of consideration. Also look for games immediately before and after this matchup to see if there is a possibility for a let down or look ahead.
              Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Updated for the records, system went 4-4 for the value plays. Other 2 games had same lines as the lines from the oddsmakers. I'll do this again tomorrow and see how it shapes up.

Was expecting better results than 50%.......
                Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hi..

I just got back into a computer system I wrote that uses raw data from USA Today matchups.....I mostly look at the H/A scores & the performance values it generates...

Performance values are derived from Field goal, 3 pointer & rebound percentages...Historically a double digit PERF value is a good foundation to determine a wager....

GL in your stuff...

:cheers:
                  Baseball stuff...

Data from USA today matchups...

Team name....[W/L]...Score...Whip...ERA....BP....AF....IP....P&BP....DIFF..

P&BP is pitchers & Bull pen score. DIFF is differential value O'all & L3..[New data]..Higher value is indicative of better performance...

Comment

Originally posted by Katidy View Post
                    Hi..

I just got back into a computer system I wrote that uses raw data from USA Today matchups.....I mostly look at the H/A scores & the performance values it generates...

Performance values are derived from Field goal, 3 pointer & rebound percentages...Historically a double digit PERF value is a good foundation to determine a wager....

GL in your stuff...

:cheers:
                    cool. be glad to see your picks!! Good luck!!:thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                    X