Temple @ Xavier Game Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temple @ Xavier Game Info

Just wanted to share a little info on the game today for anyone who is thinking about playing it.

There are a lot of subplots going into today's game that could or could not have an impact on what happens today.

1. With all due respect to the Duquesne Dukes, today is as big as it comes in the A10. Xavier and Temple have been the standard bearers in the A10 for a long time. Generally, X has had success against Temple in the regular season and Temple absolutely OWNS Xavier in the A10 tourney. Since X entered the A10, Temple has won once at the Cintas Center. Xavier is 0fer against Temple in the A10 tourney.

2. Xavier is trying to break the all time consecutive conference home win streak today. Who are they currently tied with for most consecutive conference home wins? Yep, you guessed it....Temple.

3. Today will be a very emotional day at the Cintas...two of the best teams in the conference, record for consecutive home wins on the line for X....but today, X will also be retiring Brian Grant's number. Ever since Grant graduated and went the NBA, he has always remained close to the Xavier program. He is an all time favorite X player because he went from being very lightly recruited to the NBA with a lot of hard work. Xavier uses Grant's success as a major recruiting tool when trying to convince kids to come to X. As many may know, Brian Grant is suffering from early onset Parkinson's disease. It will be a very emotional homecoming and I have to think it will affect everyone from Xavier's players, coaches and especially the fans.

A few weeks ago, I would have said that Temple would win this game. Xavier had a lot of bad breaks early in the year. Injuries, ineligible players, etc. Then, Florida snaps Xavier's overall home win streak on December 31st. I would have been sure Temple would have come in and crapped on X's parade today. But something happened after the UC debacle a couple of weeks ago. I have been absolutely overwhelmed at how well Chris Mack and his staff have done in coaching this team. X's players are playing within themselves...not trying to do too much. The substitution patterns are working well for X.

Plus, what I see happening is Xavier playing an extremely tough OOC schedule...and now that they are in the A10 and things are staring to gel, the team is really believing in the system and gaining confidence.

In my opinion, it all boils down to how Frease and McLean will do against Temple's bigs. Temple is the only team in the A10 who matches X's size and strength down low.

Having said all this, Temple is a really good team that needs a quality road win in conference. I fully expect them to come out and play good, solid fundamental basketball. Will all the subplots help X squeak out a victory today? Hard to say, but I look for a really hard fought game today.

I would lean to the over today. I think both team's offenses are playing well and the game should be in the high 60's/low 70's.

GL!! :thumbs:
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

thanks for your thoughts on the game Nigel, always a great read:thumbs:
    Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog88 View Post
      thanks for your thoughts on the game Nigel, always a great read:thumbs:
      +1. always appreciate the write ups you and franchise put together. gl nigel :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
      X