Richmond vs. Dayton Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond vs. Dayton Pick

A little breakdown on the game tonight for anyone interested.

This is going to be an incredible game tonight with two of the best players on each team going head to head. I think Richmond needs to win both of those matchups decisively to win the game since Dayton has a much better team and bench outside of Richmond's Big 2. The two key matchups are Anderson vs Staten and Harper vs Wright. I think Staten showed a lot in the matchup with Tu Holloway that will help him with Anderson. He has steadily grown up as the team has grown throughout the year. I think he will be able to provide quality defense on Anderson and with alternating defense with Williams or Josh Parker they will be able to throw 3 quality defenders at Anderson all game where Anderson will likely have to be facing a UD defense that is waiting for him each time down the court. I think this matchup will be very close with Anderson getting 15-19 depending on how many FT's he takes but really having to work for his points. I also think Staten forcing him to guard so much on defense will have an effect on his legs as it is very difficult to do against Dayton, especially at home where they are more proficient at pushing tempo.
    Slight Advantage Richmond

Harper vs Wright is a very interesting matchup. Very few teams have a player with the athleticism and physicality of Chris Wright to throw at Justin Harper. I think Wright is able to limit a little of what Harper does since he won't have a significant advantage in either size or athleticism like he typically does. Plus the Dayton centers do a very good job of helping on penetration in the event that Wright gets beat on the dribble. I also expect Wright to make Harper work on the defensive end where he won't be able to free lance for steals and deflections as much. If he leaves Wright he will head to the basket for the alley hoop like a freight train. And if Dayton gets a few highlight reel dunks that tends to make the hoop bigger for the next couple of 3 pt shots. If Wright gets in early foul trouble then Harper could be the deciding factor in the game.
    Slight Advantage Richmond

As for the rest of the team I think their is a significant advantage for the Flyers as they have more depth and physicality on their bench to go with superior athleticism. In the last couple of matchups Mooney has had Richmond send 5 guys to the defensive glass to protect getting blistered on the boards and it hasn't helped a ton. Dayton is able to send 4 just as aggressively without getting beat on the break. I think this will once again be a key since Richmond will have to face a set defense on every possession and should struggle to get to 60 points in that situation.

I think the other advantage for the Flyers is that Richmond doesn't like to use a lot of their bench. Xavier was about the only team that didn't falter down the stretch and although they played their starters almost the whole game the reason that probably wasn't as much of an issue is the absurd amount of shooting fouls and how early X was in the bonus each half and the rest that provided their players. Richmond will likely tire as they aren't as likely to get the frequent rests and free points during the game since they average 18 ft attempts per game.

I have a feeling that Richmond will try and control pace but will get hammered on the boards. That will allow Dayton with enough second chances to help their improving fg%. I expect Dayton gets atleast 6 extra offensive boards and out rebounds them by 10+. With the exception of the turd Dayton dropped at Umass when they were admittedly looking past the Minutemen they have improved their play in almost every outing since the first week of December. I failed to see that when they fell at Cintas like all other comers but in that game it took a lot of questionable foul calls and a great performance by Holloway with some real clutch shots over great defense. I like both Dayton and the under in this game since I don't think it's likely that UD goes nuts for 40 in a half although big wins aren't unheard of at home. I like Dayton in the area of 65-59. A 4-7 point win with the winner getting to the mid to upper 60's at best. I'll add my play later.
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

I don't want to wait on the number

Dayton -2 3 Units
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Good Luck. Liking Dayton myself too.

BTW I am really starting to like the A-10...Balance from top to bottom and a good brand of basketball. The temple-x game on saturday was great to watch.

:thumbs:

Comment

Good luck today Franchise!
        NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
        MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
        MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
        NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
        Updated on 01/13/18
        ---
        One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

All of my handicapping shows that Richmond should win this game straight up.

I believe I read somewhere that Dayton has won this matchup 8 straight times on their homecourt though, so I'm kinda of scared off by that nasty trend.

Richmond shoots the ball so much better though, so tempting...

Note: I changed the title of this thread so that google would pick it up. GREAT info here T!
          Last edited by Kevin; 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Kevin...I would agree that statistically the numbers do favor Richmond. But the way that Dayton crashes the boards causes them to change their style against them as Mooney as noted in the past. It eliminated transition last year at Richmond even with the superb guards in Anderson and Gonzalvez.

And Dayton's numbers are a little skewed this year as their performance was pretty poor from a predictive standpoint early in the season. They had less consistency and were still feeling out their new backcourt players as Williams was upping his minutes and Staten, Parker and Spearman were getting new roles. It also took a little time to get Luke Fabrizius into the rotation due to an injury and he was a little slow to get his touch. But they appear to be gaining steam over the last 6 weeks as Staten has asserted himself as a stud. There were flashes of the talent early in the season like the second halves at Ole Miss and Seton Hall where they ran both teams off the floor. Richmond didn't have as much of a problem with this since they were bringing back most of their team (as Dayton had done most of the last 3 years). So that will skew the early season numbers as some teams take longer to gell.

Woody - Yes, the A10 does play some real high quality basketball and unfortunately it isn't recognized more nationally. When a BCS team comes into the A10 they almost always leave with an L. Unfortunately those opportunities don't come very often. The conference is definitely a lot stronger in the middle with quality teams down to the 8-9 spot with St Louis, URI, Duquesne, Lasalle all coming strong. Even the bottom of the league is showing signs of growth although the Bonnies and GW have a ways to go once Nicholson leaves SBU.
            MLB
            May
            Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
            Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
            Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
            Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
            Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

adding

UGA -2' 2 Units
              Marquette -4 2 Units

Thanks Woody...I hadn't noticed that tonight and both games have things I like. Marquette is the better offensive team and their mid range game should be a problem for UConn and Florida has, IMO, compiled their 5-1 road record with smoke and mirrors. Great spot to get Xavier and good win at schizo UT but the rest leaves a little to be desired regardless of the W's. In a battle of two very similar teams I'll take the home team who is playing better.

glta
              MLB
              May
              Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
              Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
              Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
              Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
              Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                All of my handicapping shows that Richmond should win this game straight up.

I believe I read somewhere that Dayton has won this matchup 8 straight times on their homecourt though, so I'm kinda of scared off by that nasty trend.

Richmond shoots the ball so much better though, so tempting...

Note: I changed the title of this thread so that google would pick it up. GREAT info here T!
                All handicapping aside, going against Dayton, at home, in a big conference game with a low number? Not something that I would want to mess with very often.

UD could be favored by DD's Saturday against X and I wouldn't bet against them.

Fact is, even in their loss to X a week and a half ago, Dayton played an extremely high level of basketball. I think they shot around 52% from the field while X shot it at 55%. Same thing happened in the X-Temple game...high level of basketball played by both teams.

UD has played well in their last two conference games even though one of them was a loss @ X. If UD plays like they have the last two games, I think they'll cover tonight.

UD Arena is one tough place to win....a lesser team has a better chance of sneaking out a win than a good team in a big time matchup.

GL tonight Franchise!!
                "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

No Juwan Staten...No Chance at a W.
                  MLB
                  May
                  Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
                  Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
                  Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
                  Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
                  Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Yeah, I really wish I would have known about Staten. Local radio announcers said they were surprised he even played at all. Guess he had a terrible stomach flu all day. Was on IVs the whole day. That would have kept me from taking Dayton tonight...but it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome tonight, IMHO.

Richmond looked really good and Dayton looked really bad. I was shocked at how well Richmond rebounded tonight and Dayton looked like they had no idea how to attack Richmond's zone. Dayton has a lot of good athletes, but they don't have a lot of shooters. They've been zoned numerous times for years and have never been successful due to lack of outside shooting.

Man, the UD fans really starting to grumble about Gregory. It didn't help that Mooney totally outcoached him tonight.

Tough loss for UD.
                    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Staten has been the key to their offense performing at all this year. He is the only guy that is able to beat someone off the dribble and he does it at will all game. He creates all their open shots and without him it always turns into a rotate the ball 5 feet behind the arc until you can shoot a contested 3 offense. It is the same problem their offense had last season. From my perspective that is also what leads to their poor shooting percentage. They very rarely take 2 pt jump shots and almost all their shots are either 3's or shots in the paint. And the high percentage of shots from the 3 pt line brings down their overall shooting percentage nicely.

The problem with Gregory is although he has really improved the recruiting and the defense he seems to be insistent on playing the MSU offense without players that are capable of consistently winning 1 on 1 matchups like MSU. It wasn't obvious initially when he started because he had Brian Roberts to carry his offense. But they very rarely get the ball in a good position to score without Staten creating a shot and that is the critics main complaint. Personally, I think they do have good shooters that just aren't put in positions to take good shots. They had a nice stretch before this game where they were taking a lot more mid range jumpers and their shooting percentage increased. But without Staten being effective or someone in the post that can score (they rarely use Wright in the low block for no reason, Adrien Payne would have been a program changing recruit in that respect) their offense is very poor.

The difference was dramatic last night as the teams ran somewhat similar offenses with the exception being that Richmond incorporated post to wing screening and threw the ball to all of their players in the post with space to work and draw double teams and open shots. Dayton on the other hand was content simply screening on ball and passing the ball wing to wing. Unfortunately Gregory isn't going anywhere just yet and as long as Staten stays and improves any the team will play better offense and get Gregory another 4-5 years even without improving his offensive scheme. It is very frustrating to see the improvement they have made in Gregory's tenure but also to see the improvement stall at this point with the talent he has collected and the defense the team plays. And this has really come out this year as they haven't been nearly as strong on their home court as recent years when they played like a top 10 team at home and a top 150 team on the road. I don't expect a beatdown of X like in the past few seasons where the inferior team won. I think the lack of crowd energy and the negative aura will help get the W and assert their superiority over the Flyer program. Just very, very frustrating.
                      MLB
                      May
                      Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
                      Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
                      Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
                      Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
                      Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Working...
                      X