Picks for 1/25/2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picks for 1/25/2011

Wow back to back losing days hitting only 2 of 5 each day. I guess the dog caught me after my 8 for 9 day on Saturday. I have just a precious few for today. BTW, I love to post here but the forum is so awfully slow at times that I am almost about ready to give up but I digress and will try my best to post my (our) picks. Also, I have not forgotten that I owe the forum faithful a further explanation about our methods which will be forthcoming in the near future but I will not reveal everything as some are trade secrets that just might be spun into a forcasting site later down the road. I wish everyone here the best of luck today. Here are today's picks.

UConn +4 3 units Winner

Syracuse -14 4 units Loser

Dayton -2 2 units Loser

Ohio St. -7 2 units Winner

Georgia -2 4 units Loser

2010-2011 72-52-2 +78 units
    Last edited by JustaRookie; 01-26-2011, 07:42 AM.

I always interested in hearing a little about how you pick games. Until I do it doesn't really mean anything to me. You could just be a really good dart player. Some guys like JoePa and Boiler for example have explained their reasoning on lots of games that I understand what they are looking at quite often whether I agree or not. But without atleast a little understanding of how you come to conclusions it's not quite as valuable to me. But great season so far.
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Franchise, u have every right to question our methodology and I know that we butted heads on a Flyer pick previously which you one upped us on and kudos to you. We do not throw darts when providing our plays although I (we) are not the end all to beat all when it comes to projecting ATS winners. You r a veteran here and I am just a rookie but as my mother always told me, "the proof is in the pudding"! Sure I have had an awsome season so far and I do hope to continue that but I take offense to your questioning my (our) philosophy and expecting that I (we) provide you with our equation on how we project winners. I am not here to start any trouble but I surely take insult to your accusations. It's no wonder that this forum has such a short posting membership considering that they may/might be questioned on how they project winners. To you sir I wish a great day and the best of luck but this will be my last post here, thanks to you.

Comment

I'm sorry you took the post that way. I wasn't trying to get you to go away, I was just pointing out what helps me see value in a post. When I don't know someone at all and I when I see names and lines going up I don't have the ability to blindly trust that they are going to hit at 70%. I don't need any special numbers or equations just a little info into why you like a game would help me. But certainly there must be others that enjoy what you post even without the information. Personally, I don't think I questioned your philosphy at all, I just pointed out that I don't know anything about it.

Personally I don't tail anyone's picks blindly although I am interested to see if certain people are opposing me for better or worse. But what I really love is to see a little insight into someone's opinion because that might make me look at something I missed or that is contrary to my belief. College hoops certainly hasn't been my best season but as a Dayton alum and someone who follows A10 basketball very closely it is definitely my strongest area. I don't know what my record is on Dayton games but I am fairly confident it is above 60%. They have a
        MLB
        May
        Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
        Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
        Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
        Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
        Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
        Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

I too like the reasoning behind picks - as Franchise said, it's gives us another angle to look at to see if we've missed anything. For me, I am a big trend and situation guy. I could take other things into account, but really, it's just numbers to me. Everything eventually comes back to even anyway, but hitting the trends in stride is something I look to do.

I hope you don't take offense to Franchise's post - he's a well-respected member of this forum, and was affirming the nicity of having reasoning with picks... if you choose to do so, great - hopefully it will start on some conversation. If not, it's no shirt off our backs, you know?

BTW, hell of a season - keep it rollin'!
          NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
          MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
          MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
          NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
          Updated on 01/13/18
          ---
          One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

The thing about "trade secrets" is if they are so good, why try to sell your picks down the road? If I was that good, I'd be playing my own picks and making money and not worrying about the business part of it.

Play them, win, and go on about your day. Thats way easier than trying to sell picks amongst the thousands of services out there right now.

Not trying to be an A h ole either.

I like your Georgia pick but think Marquette is the play in the Uconn game in my eyes. There is a tidy little angle with unranked being favired over ranked, and both these games fit it.

GL.

Comment

OK......now let's not all get our shorts bunched up! :laughing:

I think everyone missed the some key points. JAR has a methodology that he employs, that much is understood, he trusts his methods and will share some of them with the forum.....just not all his methodology which he places some intellectual value on. That's understandable, since we all want to find a winning edge.

The error I find, is when we are all here for the good of the order, is when someone is honing their skills, why not help the rest of the forum. I understand that you might be perfecting your skills for a future endeavor, but also recognize the true value of a forum. Don't be afraid to share picks and rationale behind them. I used to give write ups on every game, but that has gone by the wayside since my promotion as work and subsequent evening fun jobs. If someone wants to know why/how I arrived at a pick I will tell them if they inquire.

Over the years, guys have figured out what types of games I am looking for, etc. and know that I use SOS, Last 5 games, next game or what game they are coming off of, head-to-heads, trends, a whole lotta gut and creases created by the books to slip into (not giving a team any respect like Northern Illinois in MAC football this year). I don't have any secrets and I'm just as happy to make everyone so dough if possible. That what a forum is, a place to trade information and share our expertise in certain conferences, etc. After a while, the forum members understand your reasoning and can almost predict the games you will be on.

Don't mistake words for daggers or throw downs! Guys are always happy to give props where due, but not knowing how guys make picks can make others nervous. They might not tail ya, but it doesn't mean they aren't taking notice of you. Everybody is curious about how somebody new is "doing it" and are cautious about drinking the kool-aid or following some new voodoo. It's good to be somewhat skeptical especially when it comes to your dough!

There are a myriad of ways guys cap games and who's to say which is the best way. Each guy has his own way and what works for one might not work for another. It's amazing though how many times we can arrive at a consensus on a pick looking at the same game from multiple angles.

And yes, I agree that if you can hammer the books then why try to sell your picks. That entails some unwanted capping pressure from having "clients" who entrust you with their bankroll for sure, as well as a whole lot of headaches establishing the legal business end of things. Heck you can always keep your "steams, L-word picks", etc. to yourself and not post them and reap your own benefits. It's just that the whole philosophy behind a forum is to share, discuss, and make every capper better along with, hopefully, some dough as well.

So don't take things personal, enjoy your time here, and don't be so quick to make a leap from a place you like and people find value in your presence. When guys "pile" on you, it's in fun or because those inquiring minds really want to know. Part of being a newb on a site is that you will be welcomed, questioned, and then appreciated no matter if you are a success or failure......

It's funny how you can make friends without ever seeing a face, hearing a voice, or never trading so much as an e-mail. Remember that all forums run the same way, but this forum has managed to have the friendliest membership I have ever found! No matter how many posts you have made, your worth to the site is measured in educating and sharing with its membership.

Gee, what a novel, but I hope it helps some. GL JAR, and I look forward to reading your future predictem posts.
              Last edited by joepa66; 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM.
              Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Now with all that said, there will be no gnashing or grinding of teeth, wailing of any kind, just kindly throw your punch and let's get after the books! :punch::chaching:
                Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Rook:

I think you took Franchise completely wrong. I think he was merely asking about your methodology so he can feel more or less comfortable looking and maybe following your plays. Simple as that.

BB
                  Go Boilers!
                  thru 2/3

NCAAF ’20 215-187-5 +75.19
                  NCAAF ’21 200-169-7 +37.80
                  NCAAF '22 239-216-14 +24.41

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                  NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                  NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

NCAAB ’21-22 908-771-42 +196.07
                  NCAAB '22-23 510-488-9 -43.13

NHL '20-21 171-154-2 +42.97
                  NHL ’21-22 223-241-5 -65.79
                  NHL '22-23 153-149-3 -21.97

NBA ’20-21 241-223-7 +11.97
                  NBA ’21-22 282-266-6 -1.93
                  NBA '22-23 225-246-9 -94.88

Comment

Originally posted by Woody12 View Post
                    The thing about "trade secrets" is if they are so good, why try to sell your picks down the road? If I was that good, I'd be playing my own picks and making money and not worrying about the business part of it.

Play them, win, and go on about your day. Thats way easier than trying to sell picks amongst the thousands of services out there right now.

Not trying to be an A h ole either.

I like your Georgia pick but think Marquette is the play in the Uconn game in my eyes. There is a tidy little angle with unranked being favired over ranked, and both these games fit it.

GL.
                    By the way, I agree on Marquette.....
                    Go Boilers!
                    thru 2/3

NCAAF ’20 215-187-5 +75.19
                    NCAAF ’21 200-169-7 +37.80
                    NCAAF '22 239-216-14 +24.41

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                    NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                    NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

NCAAB ’21-22 908-771-42 +196.07
                    NCAAB '22-23 510-488-9 -43.13

NHL '20-21 171-154-2 +42.97
                    NHL ’21-22 223-241-5 -65.79
                    NHL '22-23 153-149-3 -21.97

NBA ’20-21 241-223-7 +11.97
                    NBA ’21-22 282-266-6 -1.93
                    NBA '22-23 225-246-9 -94.88

Comment

Yeah, no disprespect on my end either and I echo what JoPa said.

Just rubs me the wrong way on selling picks down the road and not giving some info on it.

I'd say this place is easy going as long as you don't get too cocky b/c no matter what, the book usually wins more than it loses and the goal is to help everyone beat the man.

GL and I too look forward to more of your plays no matter how you come up with them.

I personally like giving my dog treats team names and seeing which one she eats first out of the 2 I set down on the floor...But thats just me. :laughing:

Comment

Shorts???

What's up no love for Shorts Joepa!!

All you guys are doing a great job keep up the good work!:thumbs:

Time for me to head to the Eagles and :beer2: !!!!
                        From one beer lover to another! Strohs Beer!

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

Comment

Originally posted by joepa66 View Post

I think everyone missed the some key points. JAR has a methodology that he employs, that much is understood, he trusts his methods and will share some of them with the forum.....just not all his methodology which he places some intellectual value on. That's understandable, since we all want to find a winning edge.

The error I find, is when we are all here for the good of the order, is when someone is honing their skills, why not help the rest of the forum. I understand that you might be perfecting your skills for a future endeavor, but also recognize the true value of a forum. Don't be afraid to share picks and rationale behind them. I used to give write ups on every game, but that has gone by the wayside since my promotion as work and subsequent evening fun jobs. If someone wants to know why/how I arrived at a pick I will tell them if they inquire.

Over the years, guys have figured out what types of games I am looking for, etc. and know that I use SOS, Last 5 games, next game or what game they are coming off of, head-to-heads, trends, a whole lotta gut and creases created by the books to slip into (not giving a team any respect like Northern Illinois in MAC football this year). I don't have any secrets and I'm just as happy to make everyone so dough if possible. That what a forum is, a place to trade information and share our expertise in certain conferences, etc. After a while, the forum members understand your reasoning and can almost predict the games you will be on.

Don't mistake words for daggers or throw downs! Guys are always happy to give props where due, but not knowing how guys make picks can make others nervous. They might not tail ya, but it doesn't mean they aren't taking notice of you. Everybody is curious about how somebody new is "doing it" and are cautious about drinking the kool-aid or following some new voodoo. It's good to be somewhat skeptical especially when it comes to your dough!

There are a myriad of ways guys cap games and who's to say which is the best way. Each guy has his own way and what works for one might not work for another. It's amazing though how many times we can arrive at a consensus on a pick looking at the same game from multiple angles.

And yes, I agree that if you can hammer the books then why try to sell your picks. That entails some unwanted capping pressure from having "clients" who entrust you with their bankroll for sure, as well as a whole lot of headaches establishing the legal business end of things. Heck you can always keep your "steams, L-word picks", etc. to yourself and not post them and reap your own benefits. It's just that the whole philosophy behind a forum is to share, discuss, and make every capper better along with, hopefully, some dough as well.

So don't take things personal, enjoy your time here, and don't be so quick to make a leap from a place you like and people find value in your presence. When guys "pile" on you, it's in fun or because those inquiring minds really want to know. Part of being a newb on a site is that you will be welcomed, questioned, and then appreciated no matter if you are a success or failure......

It's funny how you can make friends without ever seeing a face, hearing a voice, or never trading so much as an e-mail. Remember that all forums run the same way, but this forum has managed to have the friendliest membership I have ever found! No matter how many posts you have made, your worth to the site is measured in educating and sharing with its membership.

Gee, what a novel, but I hope it helps some. GL JAR, and I look forward to reading your future predictem posts.
                          blah blah blah

just start banning people and bust that ban-cherry! :laughing:
                          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by joepa66 View Post

blah blah blah

just start banning people and bust that ban-cherry! :laughing:
                            :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                            -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
                              blah blah blah just start banning people and bust that ban-cherry! :laughing:
                              Guy double posts to get his post totals up and want to be first in line.......:laughing:

Q, you always take the laff-a-lot side of things for sure. In the immortal words of Todd Rungren "We gotta get you a woman......."

Comment

Working...
                              X