Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duquesne/Dayton

A couple notes on today's game.

Their last match up was competitive until the last minute of play in the first half when Dayton managed to give up 6 points and a layup that came just after the buzzer that would have made it 8. They turned a 3 pt lead into a 3 pt deficit and didn't look back getting throttled in the second half while giving up. There have been a lot of problems in Dayton this season as the team has seemingly underachieved based on last year's NIT run and the addition of Juwan Staten. You can see the tension on the court as the players don't appear lose and frequently have lacked effort, an issue that isn't a trait of Brian Gregory coached teams. They are a mini Michigan St without the post presence. They have had a tendency to appear to have righted the ship with a great performance like the first 37 minutes vs Lasalle and the performance against Charlotte. But when push comes to shove against quality opponents they have been dominated due to their lack of consistency on offense and lack of rebounding on defense. Against URI they had a 24-0 run in the game and still lost by 14 and Temple had their way with them without Lavoy Allen. It only got close late while Temple had a lull but Dayton never got closer than 2 possessions in a game that had a great atmosphere.

As for how that translates today, I think Dayton plays one decent to good half of basketball. Under Gregory while they have been a .500 team in league it has been a result of dropping road games and playing poorly against teams they should beat, while also surprising the top teams (sometimes handily, see Xavier) when they come to UD. Dayton hasn't played a great half of basketball in some time and I wouldn't be surprised if we get one either today or next Saturday. Duquesne is a team that Dayton matches up with very well physically and if their defense is good they certainly can beat them. The key to the game in my opinion will be shot selection. If UD is content to shoot 12-15 3 pt shots in the first half that is a good indicator that long scoring slumps will come and Duquesne will get the victory. Based on the turmoil and the effort at the program right now I don't have confidence in either side. Although my feeling is that UD will play well and lead at the half after getting carried through on energy and then a long scoring drought in the second half will let Duquesne back in it and lead Duqeuesne to a victory since UD routinely gets beat in the last 3-4 minutes of a game due to offensive strategy and lack of a go to scorer.

glta
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Other plays

Hofstra/Wright St Under 136 2 Units
    Pitt/SJU Under 135 3 Units
    Texas -7 2 Units
    Missouri -4' 2 Units

glta
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

For what it's worth, I also like (liked) Texas. I walked away when the line at BetUS moved it to 8 though. Good luck Franchise! :beerbang:

Comment

It is crazy much Dayton seems to struggle in the 2nd Half of games, specifically conference games. I watched the Temple game and they just seemed very lethargic for the most post. I couldnt believe that the players didnt get up for a home game against a premier conference team, without Lavoy Allen even. The crowd also seemed pretty disinterested from the TV (sometimes hard to tell, but still) which is not a common characteristic of UD arena. Duquesne is a good team, I made the trip out for the Xavier game at Consol last weekend and they are definitely for real. I will definitely be on Duquesne at -2.5 today.

All that being said, I am fully expecting to lose to you guys on the 27th. And Ill be there to watch it...

Comment

And Brian Gregory outcoaches someone in the last 4 minutes. Lots of mistakes by Duquesne give the game and league title away. Unfortunately this will shade the line a few more points in Dayton's favor when X comes to town.
          MLB
          May
          Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
          Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
          Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
          Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
          Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Originally posted by Franchise View Post
            And Brian Gregory outcoaches someone in the last 4 minutes. Lots of mistakes by Duquesne give the game and league title away. Unfortunately this will shade the line a few more points in Dayton's favor when X comes to town.
            Unfortunately? Come on, Franchise....don't be sandbagging for the X matchup. UD plays out of their minds against X @ UD Arena. I think UD will be favored and not by enough....will probably be UD -2.5, -3......should be UD -4.5,-5.....what says you?
            "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

So you think UD is going to be favored by 5 to 6 more points than they were against the Dukes? I think it will be X -3. Dayton has already gotten throttled at home by Temple and Richmond and the Temple line was -3.

If UD keeps playing like this they can play well. Only 12 3 pt shots, 22 FT's and 16 offensive boards. And that was with CW playing 15 minutes.
              MLB
              May
              Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
              Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
              Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
              Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
              Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Yes, UD should be favored by more than 3 against X. The line will be off....do you not agree? X might be favored, but line will be way off. I don't care about UD against Temple or Richmond at the Arena...this is the X game. If the line makers don't take that into consideration, it will be their problem is X is favored.

As much as it pains me to say it, I fully expect UD to beat X by DDs next weekend.
                "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
                  As much as it pains me to say it, I fully expect UD to beat X by DDs next weekend.

Honestly, I don't. I know they have stepped up before but I don't think they can put a beatdown on someone this year. I think UD can win, but if they win it won't be a game that is out of hand.
                  MLB
                  May
                  Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
                  Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
                  Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
                  Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
                  Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Working...
                  X