Xavier/Dayton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier/Dayton

If anyone is interested I am sure Nigel will be in to give his input on the game. X opened at -2' (about what I expected). UD has had several struggles again this season to the point that I thought their season would fall apart with a lack of effort and a fractured locker room only a few weeks ago. But as Nigel has pointed out this is a huge rivalry for both schools, but especially for the Flyers as Xavier wins atleast once a year in Cincy while this game is almost like UD's superbowl. Their is a feeling around the program and the city that the team still has a shot at the NCAA's and with the first four being played there, a possibility of a home ncaa game (how would the other coach like that?). I don't agree with those thoughts but with an RPI hovering around 50 before this game it isn't out the question if they run the table and get a victory over X or Temple in the A10 tourney which would put them at an RPI around 35 with 10 top 100 wins and they would be close. Those thoughts and the fact that they feel they outplayed X again and lost in Cincy should have the team ready to go. With inferior teams every year over the last 10 or so (X has had multiple NBA players on most of the teams, UD none) UD has managed win over half of them, a couple of them rather handily like last year where they started the game on a 17-3 run to shell shock an elite 8 team.

UD hasn't been settling for 3 pt shots as often in the last few games and if they continue to take it to the basket they can create foul trouble for X and that will be a huge problem for them. X is very thin and I think UD can create some matchup problems early that could get X in foul trouble. The last matchup between them started each half with Dayton having 7-8 fouls whistled on them in the first 5 minutes while X didn't reach the same total until the 15ish minute mark. I would expect that to even out in the new environment. The UD players also really thrive when they are playing before their crowd when it's electric, and although it has been a down season the crowd should be pretty up since a beatdown of X makes a lot of things better.

Last week Nigel thought UD would win by DD and I didn't see it. While I'm not bold enough to predict that I definitely give UD a better than 50% chance at a win and I wouldn't be shocked if it was by DD. My prediction is that Kenny Frease gets in foul trouble early with a questionable call (possibly offensive) and a cheap foul on D when he can't stay in front of Josh Benson. I think he sits most of the first half and that really takes a toll on the X offense since he is the one player UD can't match up when he is allowed to hook defenders with his off arm in the low post.

As far as the the total I wouldn't be shocked if it went over or under regardless of who wins, although IMO an X win on anything other than a last minute shot would probably lead to an over while a UD win could be at any total since they could win the game with efficient offense or lockdown defense in this game.

Dayton 71 X 64
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Originally posted by Franchise View Post

UD hasn't been settling for 3 pt shots as often in the last few games and if they continue to take it to the basket they can create foul trouble for X and that will be a huge problem for them. X is very thin and I think UD can create some matchup problems early that could get X in foul trouble. The last matchup between them started each half with Dayton having 7-8 fouls whistled on them in the first 5 minutes while X didn't reach the same total until the 15ish minute mark. I would expect that to even out in the new environment. The UD players also really thrive when they are playing before their crowd when it's electric, and although it has been a down season the crowd should be pretty up since a beatdown of X makes a lot of things better.

Dayton 71 X 64
    I agree and possibly disagree...not sure what you're saying here exactly. I think the fouls will even out tomorrow moreso because the Flyers aren't taking as many threes than because of the environment. Sure, Dayton being home might be worth a couple of extra X fouls....but as for the first matchup, I don't think it was the environment as much as the fact that UD settled for jump shots while X attacked the basket. Its easy to not foul a team that passes around the perimeter and settles for a jump shot...UD happened to be making a lot of them in that first matchup too. Its also easy to get into foul trouble on the road when the other team is attacking the basket. That's what occurred in the first matchup.

I do think UD attacks the lane tomorrow. I do think X will have more fouls than UD. I think UD played a great game in the first matchup and hit a lot of their perimeter shots. I see more of the same tomorrow but more aggression in the paint.

If seniors Love and Crawford can get crushed by 25 @ UD Arena, this year's X team is fully capable of getting run out of the gym tomorrow. UD matches up very well w/ X. They have athletic wings...something X lacks. I fully expect Chris Johnson to be a man among boys tomorrow. UD will look like a dangerous tourney team tomorrow. X will look like poo.

:puke: Sorry....couldn't help myself. UD 78 X 65
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Nigel, my point was the officiating wasn't the most consistent in the last game. The foul count was UD 8, X 2 at the 6 min mark of the first half. At the 2 minute mark X had the last of 5 consecutive fouls called on them to even out the foul calls. Then UD has the first 6 fouls of the second half called on them. It's a strange pattern of what I thought was poor and inconsistent officiating (unfortunately typical of the A10). Both teams stuck with their strategy throughout the game it just seemed that the officials didn't. That entire time period the game was within 6 points the entire time. And although UD doesn't drive it a lot they do get a lot of inside touches with their offensive rebounding. It should be an exciting game.
      MLB
      May
      Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
      Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
      Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
      Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
      Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
      Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Ill be making the trek up 75 in about a half hour or so....lets hope for at least a close one...

Comment

Working...
        X