Greg Oden Isn't Ready For The NBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Oden Isn't Ready For The NBA

I don't know why all the ESPN people are saying to take Oden over Durant. Is 7 feet really that rare anymore or something?

I'm pretty sure Oden will be committing financial suicide if he doesn't come out, but I honestly don't think he's ready. He gets the majority of his points doing dunks or layups, yet he is only averaging about 10 points a game. He gets a lot of blocks a game, but I don't think he can be so productive in the NBA.

It just worries me that he's gonna be another Tyson Chandler. Meager points a game, can't shoot a free throw to save his life, and is just there to block shots.
    39-39-2 Plays, 26-25 Leans, System Plays (2-1), Half System Plays (2-4)
    Playoffs 6-4 Plays, 4-1 Leans

43-46 Plays, 24-28 Leans, 4-4 System Plays, 2-0 Half System Plays
    Playoffs 8-4 plays, 1-2 leans, 1-0 Half System Plays

36-29 Plays, 25-31 leans; Playoffs 3-3 Plays, 0-2 leans

18-16-1 Plays, 18-18-1 Leans; Playoffs 6-2 Plays, 0-1 Leans

15-8 plays, 7-6 leans, 2-1 Heavy MLs

Even Oden said on ESPN that he isn't consistent enough yet.....
    Nice to see ya bro....thanks for joining.....:cool:
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Its hard to say who's ready for the big leagues. So much more is involved than just talent alone. Does he have the skills? Absolutely. does anyone know if "Big Country" is still playing?:rolleyes: I'm not sure financial suicide is the right term but I agree, he'd be harming himself more than helping.
      And yes, 7 feet isn't what it used to be but I believe its his physical maturity and strength at his age that has raised eyebrows. Durant and Oden may be close in height but honestly Durant could go hangliding with a piece of poster board and a stiff breeze. And hasnt Oden been shooting his FTs lefty.
      60% w/his left hand while Shaq couldnt hit 60% with John Lucas' hands.
      Imo, they'll both do well.

good to see ya recovering!
      ...toke on...

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem that Oden isn't even trying most of the time? Durant is the more NBA ready player at this point, but Oden has potential through the roof. I think he will be in Boston either way.
        ---------------------------
        '11 NBA 106-97-2 (-0.5 Units)
        NBA ML 8-20 (-5.10 Units)
        '11 NCAA BB 0-0-0 (0 Units)

Comment

Originally posted by recovering77 View Post
          It just worries me that he's gonna be another Tyson Chandler. Meager points a game, can't shoot a free throw to save his life, and is just there to block shots.
          Yea that Tyson Chandler is really struggling with his max contract and 12 rebounds per game.

??????

Oden is only 18, you have to take that into account. And yes, 7 foot interior post presences are still a rarity, especially ones who can shoot free throws left handed and has great hands. He's also coming off a hand injury and starting playing like 2 months early because he wanted to help his team out. He still isn't fully healthy. He will be an All Star in the NBA (and so will Durant one would think).

Interesting debate, but I think you might be selling Mr Oden a bit short at this point. And damn, can that boy grow a solid ass beard!!!

Comment

I'd like to see them both stay at least another year. I don't think either one is ready for the NBA. Other guys at the center position like Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Stoudemire, etc would eat them alive on both ends of the floor.

I think Oden is probably ready physically, but i think if he were in the NBA, it would become apparent that he is still very green.

Durant more than has the skills, but those guys mentioned above would push around his skinny frame like he was an old lady.

If I had to pick between one of them though, I'd take Durant hands down. Nothing against Oden, but I see a hell of alot more out of Durant (like the drive to WIN) to go along with the physical skills than I've seen from Oden....granted I've seen more Texas games than Ohio St games this year, but from what I've seen, I gotta agree....Oden looks like he's sleepwalking thru parts of games sometimes.

Comment

If nothing else, their not physically ready. Mentally of course too.

I was talking to somebody today about this where I was saying I wish guys would be forced to stay in for all four years because it would make college hoops really exciting but my point got busted because free enterprise is free enterprise.

I too would like to see guys stay in longer. Look at Brandon Roy. He stayed in all four and came out a well rounded stud.

Its all about the almighty dollar though which I understand.

Comment

Another guy

who could benefit from another year of lifting weights and just getting tougher is Brandon Wright of Carolina.7'3" wingspan, smooth as silk, but is gonna get bodied up big time in the pros early in his career. All of these guys could use a solid 20 pounds of muscle, attainable (without steroids) in a year; but I cannot imagine turning down the dollars being a number one pick would bring to anyone. The point of going to college is to mazimize your potential in the career you enter:you can't get any better than being a number one draft pick.:thumbs:
                Red ink is thicker than blood.

Comment

I think Durant is ready. He has the ability to take over a game just like Lebron James would have if he was forced to go to college.

Financial suicide because Oden is guaranteed to be the #1 or #2 pick. That is guaranteed money, he'll never have to work another day in his life even if he flops.

Look what happened to Matt Leinhart. Stays another year in college, gets his degree when he was guaranteed to be a #1 pick, and drops like 10 spots in the draft. Cost him a pretty penny there.

Hard to believe that Durant just recently turned 18 though, pretty crazy. Oden sounds kinda like a scared kid as well (with the body and voice of a 30 year old).
                  39-39-2 Plays, 26-25 Leans, System Plays (2-1), Half System Plays (2-4)
                  Playoffs 6-4 Plays, 4-1 Leans

43-46 Plays, 24-28 Leans, 4-4 System Plays, 2-0 Half System Plays
                  Playoffs 8-4 plays, 1-2 leans, 1-0 Half System Plays

36-29 Plays, 25-31 leans; Playoffs 3-3 Plays, 0-2 leans

18-16-1 Plays, 18-18-1 Leans; Playoffs 6-2 Plays, 0-1 Leans

15-8 plays, 7-6 leans, 2-1 Heavy MLs

Comment

I'm not so sure Oden wouldnt be a #1 or #2 next year, but as you said he is slotted to go one or two this year and that is a sure thing rather than a speculative one, as next year is.
                    It sure would be hard to pass up financial security for life wouldnt it. I mean you'd have to be an idiot to blow those millions. ...and somewhere off in the distance MC Hammer weeps quietly alone
                    as for Leinart, I dont believe he's having trouble putting food on the table L.Sprewell, you moron but I know what youre saying.
                    I think they'll both be studs, each in their own way.
                    Whichever teams land them will benefit greatly.
                    I know if my team got either one I'd be happier than a pig in ****.
                    :nuts:
                    ...toke on...

Comment

Working...
                    X