X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagarin Ratings

The man that looks at no team's face has them rated like this:

USATODAY.com

Good thing he has LSU 7 spots ahead of Kentucky, who they just lost to, LOL.

Honestly though, i don't even disagree with that. LSU was in a poor spot and on the road, and they just blew it....to a very good, but not great, team this weekend.

IMO, the problem with these types of computer ranking systems or however these are made, is that they don't, or can't, take situational circumstances into account, and it's also impossible to properly account for home field advantage when determining just how much a win/loss really means about a team. Saying "homefield is worth +3" is just a complete guess and there's no way it can be accurate. We've all seen teams get thrashed against one team on the road, and then beat them outright at home....mainly speaking CBB there, since there are no home/road rematches in CFB. But the point is, if team A beats team B by 30 at home, and then they rematch at Team B, and Team B wins outright, how is home field/court only worth like 3 points? Silly.

Point is, I could put out the "Stifler" ratings if i wanted to, and come up with them however I want....and then when I'm wrong, just go ahead and change it like the rest of these ranking firms do.

But what good would that really do?

To each his own, but personally, I put no weight in such things when making plays. IMO it's all just a money racket.

Comment

When a system ranks Div. 1-AA teams over Div. 1-A teams, then I have a problem with it. He should separate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanUK View Post
        When a system ranks Div. 1-AA teams over Div. 1-A teams, then I have a problem with it. He should separate the two.
        Said Lloyd Carr the day before he played Appalachian State.....

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
          Said Lloyd Carr the day before he played Appalachian State.....
          HAHA...very true...but Sagarin has a couple AA teams in the 50's, and they aren't even App. St. Oh well...it's his system. :sm:

Comment

I like Sagarin and take into account (aka 0 use it as one of many tools) where he has teams ranked and his power ratings when I play NCAAF and NCAAB. I do also agree with Stifler's points though. Anyone can create a system like this and tweak it.

Comment

Yea, I wasn't saying the guy is a complete dumbass and the numbers are just completely horrible or anything.....just that I think anyone could just come up with something that says teams like LSU, USC and Oklahoma are in the top 10, and Temple, Idaho and Eastern Carolina tech suck.

LOL

I do question, however, if South Florida is a better team than like Oklahoma, Florida or USC, as this ratings system suggests, if the 2 teams met on a neutral field, with plenty of time to prepare, and nothing to look forward to....say in a national title game.

And Florida at #10? Behind the likes of Arizona St and Kansas? I'm sorry, but FLA would crush either one of those teams IMHO, all things equal, like the example I gave above.

Comment

I think Stif brings up what is a legit argument. Are rankings supposed to depict who we think would win in a certain game, or are they supposed to reward teams that have "done more" or something along those lines? I tend to lean to the latter. USF has gone unbeaten while taking down WVU and going in to Auburn and winning, that is pretty impressive if you ask me. Do I think they are better than Oklahoma or LSU? Probably not, but they have proven that they deserve to be ranked ahead of them considering their body of work. If you take that team and what they've done, and put them in a Michigan, USC, LSU, etc. uniform then they would be ranked #1 if you ask me. But since they're "South Florida" they are questioned.

Comment

guys... polls, rating etc are not meant to be a listing of teams in order of how good they are.... rather, they are a listing of teams and their "resumes" on the field

Comment

Originally posted by Skinsfan View Post
                    guys... polls, rating etc are not meant to be a listing of teams in order of how good they are.... rather, they are a listing of teams and their "resumes" on the field
                    Polls and ratings systems are designed for us to talk about the sport and create a "buzz". Everything is totally subjective from who is voting to why they are voting to how they see their votes.

Stiff is right, Florida would beat the ever-living **** out of Kansas and Arizona State. Those games would be blowouts.

It's always a fun discussion though.

Comment

Working...
                    X