NCAA Week 1 discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Week 1 discussion thread

I have long thought there is value in dsicussing games. I think this site really lacks discussion for the most part. Wanted to start a thread each week where people can discuss games and angles for games they are maybe on the fence on or not sure of. this seemed to work well in NFL last year with stiffy and udog, JML etc.....so lets give it a shot in college this year.

SCAR-14.............really debating laying this chalk. NCSU returns nobody and they were abysmal last year to begin with. Many publications list this as "the visor's" best team since he's been at SCAR.

anyone have a strong opinion the other way on this one? or feel the same way?

PITT -12 1/2.............i guess we'll find out if PITT was the offseason hype machine special or not. I really think this could get out of hand ie 21+ margin. BB made a comment and i agree that the MAC is down as a conference on the whole and even at the top. Though BGSU is one of the "elite" MAC teams.

anyone have a strong opinion the other way on this one? or feel the same way?

WMU +14 1/2 is another "trendy" pick i have seen released by a lot of newsletters etc.....

thoughts on this one? the prevailing theme seems to be that NEB won't be able to stop WMU enough to cover the number.

feel free to toss anything else in here and lets get some discussion going. i know most of us already have our minds made up, but i can't believe that everybody doesn't have a couple games they are on the fence on.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

I know I haven't been up on all the offseason hype, but I do know Steve Spurrier's son is their new offensive coordinator - perhaps wanting to show Daddy what he can do? NC State is terrible - I'd probably take a strong look if it fell to -13.5.
    NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
    MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
    MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
    NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---
    One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

I was really on the fence when it came to the S.Carolina game ....... decided to tease N.C. State and Oregon St. I think N.C. st. +20.5 and Oregon St. +3 should be a safe one.

I think Pitt. is going to be a definite contender in the big east this year. The Panthers should roll over BG.

I really don't have much of an opinion on the WMU game. I really don't know where to go with that one.

Any opinion on the Miami OH game? I hope I didn't fall into the early trap of taking them -4 @ home vs. a Vandy team w/ no offense.
      NCAAF:1-2 -1.5 units

Comment

I'm leaning towards NC State in that one, but I think I'm in the minority to a great degree. SC has serious issues with how they ended their season and I just don't see how this is Spurrier's most talented team there? The offensive line stinks (still) and they have no proven QB to run the show, and no returning RB of any substance. On defense, they get Brinkley back and return a plethora of starters, but SC did nothing impressive whatsoever last year except beat Georgia before Georgia hit their stride. I'm not necessarily advocating NC ST either, but I think it could be an ugly, low scoring game and it's a few too many points to lay for me personally.

Which means SCAR wins 41-17 lol...

Comment

Also, one comment about NEB - I'm sure under BO PELINI they're going to get defensive fundamentals down. I like this as a statement game, but probably not enough to bet either way. 14.5 is a lot for the defensive struggles.
          NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
          MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
          MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
          NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
          Updated on 01/13/18
          ---
          One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by akatdrake View Post
            I know I haven't been up on all the offseason hype, but I do know Steve Spurrier's son is their new offensive coordinator - perhaps wanting to show Daddy what he can do? NC State is terrible - I'd probably take a strong look if it fell to -13.5.
            I think it's a serious mistake to call any Tom O'Brien coached team "terrible". He's too good a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyFan20 View Post

Any opinion on the Miami OH game? I hope I didn't fall into the early trap of taking them -4 @ home vs. a Vandy team w/ no offense.
              I got down on MIA(oh) about 3 weeks ago. I also made a play on the Under41 in this one. From all accounts Vandy is returning nobody and is horrible on offense. I think the Under 41 is probably the strongest play here unless you can find a FG (3) or less on Miami(oh). Something tells me MIA covers anything under 6 though. 20-10 Miami.
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I'm just going to throw this one out there for Friday night ......... I'm leaning towards Temple +7 @ Army. Right now I think this is pretty solid. Any reasons as to why I should stay away from this one. Temple has some weapons on offense ... Army usually doesn't have much but I'd like to hear some other thoughts. Otherwise I think its Temple ....... to the bank!
                NCAAF:1-2 -1.5 units

Comment

As a South Carolina alum and still living in the state, I have to say this is a hard game to read. -14 is a big number with so many questions on the offensive side of the ball. If anything I would play the under. I don't see NC State putting up to many points and can see a lot of field goals coming from Carolina.

Any thoughts on Ole Miss (-7.5) over Memphis? I think Ole Miss may show some signs of life this year but not sold yet if it will happen in week 1.
                  NCAA Record: 13-11-2

Comment

It's been said already, but the problem with SCAR is who knows what you are going to get with this new QB... he's an unknown... The Defense is lights out, with basically the whole team returning after a fairly dominant year last year (save that Arkansas game).... honestly, wouldn't be surprised to see them keep NC State below 10, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the cocks don't crack 20.

My opinion on Pitt is.... overvalued.... everyone remembers the WVA game last year and I think that's built into this line.... I'll probably be going the other way.

Comment

I believe they play on S.Carolina game is the under. Like skins said the D is lights out. Cuse Fan I am not sure where you got your info on the O-line. The is very good unit much better than last year with almost everyone returning. I think the O-line is good just unproven. I think S.Carolina can cover the 14 but I think the safer play is the under.

My play is under 44.
                      I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

Comment

"THE VISORS"......LMFAO:laughing:

GL Flyers!
                        Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
                        X