Early look at Week 2...thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early look at Week 2...thoughts?

Just taking an early look at the week 2 lines...here are some that are appealing at first glance:

Vandy +10 vs. SC (SC with a QB controversy; lost to Vandy by 11 LY; Vandy home dog)
    Northwestern -6.5 at Duke (Sutton back for NW; Duke allows 190 ry to JMU last week)
    East Carolina +8 vs. WVU (ECU looked good LW; now a home dog)
    Nebraska -26 vs. SJSU (Huskers at home; SJSU needed last second TD to beat I-AA LW)

and my favorite:

Rice +3.5 at Memphis (Rice's O was en fuego last week while Memphis got rolled by Ole Miss)

Any others that look good?
    2010 CFB: 39-33-0 (ATS)
    2010-2011 CBB: 26-24-0 (ATS)

A few I'm looking at:

Oregon State @ Penn State -16.5

Oregon State lost at a virtually empty stadium at Stanford. Traveling across country. Penn State's offense looked very good, and very balanced, last weekend, albeit against Coastal.

Akron +4.5 @ Syracuse

I think Syracuse is that bad. Akron has a chance to get the SU win IMO.

Miami +21.5 @ Florida

Too many points to give to an in-state rival. Miami has some athletes this year and won't be overwhelmed by Florida's speed.

Comment

I like that Miami one too...my only concern is with the suspensions...who is going to play and who isnt? I heard some are going to come back next week? More research needed on that one. Still...like you said a whole lot of points to be giving to a team that can match speed.

Comment

northwestern for me looks good at this point. they played a bad first half last week but got things together to cover against an improved cuse team. sutton should have a solid running day against duke, but havnt finished cappin yet.

also lean to ecu but the win over va tech was so emotional i fear a let down, plus wva has a much better qb in pat white. glennon just played bad but i wouldnt expect white to do the same.

Comment

Yeah, Glennon sucks. White brings a whole different dimension to the table....

Am I crazy for liking Rice +3.5 so much? That line seems strange to me. Rice's offense is dangerous and Memphis surely didn't do anything last week to deserve being labeled favs!

Comment

wow...i actually just had this discussion with someone......

laying 6 1/2 points on the road with northwestern is just assisnine whether it covers or not. if you make it a habit of betting those type of games and teams that have no business being favored on the road (and i don't care if it's Duke or not) you will be in the poor house faster than you can say poor house.

I personally think this weeks card stinks. It seems like a lot of teams that shouldn't be favored by as much as they are. I mean Iowa favored by 28 points?

OHIO +35 is too many points for OSU to cover, especially with a hurt Wells and USC on deck. I think OHIO can put up 7 or 10 points and that should get the job done in covering this game. OSU still has suspensions in their DBackfield to boot.

I really like ECU this week again. I mean when are we going to finally give them some credit for being a good team. Only thing that worries me is they are off a huge win and it's tough for kids to get up for big games in B2B weeks a lot of the time in CFB.

Kind of like AFA +3 as well.

Interested in some totals later this week when they come out.

GL!...:thumbs:
            I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by MParris86 View Post
              I like that Miami one too...my only concern is with the suspensions...who is going to play and who isnt? I heard some are going to come back next week? More research needed on that one. Still...like you said a whole lot of points to be giving to a team that can match speed.
              Everyone who was suspended for the single game last week will be back.

Marve will start at QB, but Jacory Harris will still play.

The key for the Canes obviously will be taking care of the ball - turnovers will make this game get ugly. We've got one of the best backfields in the nation with Javarris and Cooper, running the ball effectively and shortening this game will be important.

Our defense is athletic, although young. They flew all over last week (against Charleston Southern), but these kids that Shannon brought in can play, and I don't think they'll be intimidated of the Swamp.

I'm obviously biased, but a 21+ pt spread to me, is a little too much. Also remember that Hannah is supposed to be to the east around this time - wet conditions might have a big impact on the way this game is played (or even, if its played).
              27-17-1, +14*
              CFB (16-11-0)
              NFL (7-5-1)
              MLB (3-1)
              NHL (1-0)

Go Canes!
              Go Dolphins!
              Go Heat!
              Go Marlins!
              :beerbang:

Comment

Hey MP:
                My daughter is a TV station news producer in Lincoln and told me the team is hook,line and sinker behind Bo and they looked good against a decent WMU squad. I think Bo will want to win big to build confidence for the tough Big 12 sked ahead.
                How's Robby doing at ND? Lots of competition as the WR spots this year. Heard Mike Floyd is a stud.:thumbs:

Comment

Iam looking at Texas @ UTEP -26, Texas top 10 team will win by 5 touchdowns. UTEP got beat by buffalo by 25. I know first week at Buffalo, but come on UTEP gets blown out here.

Comment

here is an interesting trend:

SJSU games are 14-1 to the over last 15 september games

NEB games are 7-1 to the over last 8 September games

SJSU has 2 dyanmite receivers. NEB will probably hang 50 on SJSU and i can see this game in the 70's. Will be interesting to see what the total comes in it.
                    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

BG -6 at home against Minnesota

The Falcons have an explosive offense under Tyler Sheehan, but their D is what shocked everyone last week, shutting out Pitt in the 2nd half. If McCoy doesn't beat up on this team, I don't see Minnesota competing at the Doyt on Saturday.

(but again, I am a BG grad)
                      27-17-1, +14*
                      CFB (16-11-0)
                      NFL (7-5-1)
                      MLB (3-1)
                      NHL (1-0)

Go Canes!
                      Go Dolphins!
                      Go Heat!
                      Go Marlins!
                      :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by The Gipper View Post
                        Hey MP:
                        My daughter is a TV station news producer in Lincoln and told me the team is hook,line and sinker behind Bo and they looked good against a decent WMU squad. I think Bo will want to win big to build confidence for the tough Big 12 sked ahead.
                        How's Robby doing at ND? Lots of competition as the WR spots this year. Heard Mike Floyd is a stud.:thumbs:
                        He pulled his hammy in fall camp and has been setback...he's at about 75% right now, so we'll see what happens. With the depth at WR and Floyd/D. Walker pushing for PT, snaps are going to be tough to come by.

I was going to go to South Bend this weekend, but I think I'll watch it from home. Not sure what Robby's status is plus I gotta get ready for the big Browns/Cowboys game Sunday. Got season tix this year.

Comment

I'm leaning Vandy. SC has a nasty ass defense though. I'll look at it some more but I'll probably go Vandy.

Smelley is starting at QB for USC. He looked good against NC State but it was late in the game and I think the Wolfpack kind of gave up.
                          NCAA YTD 0-1-0 -1.1 unit

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post

I personally think this weeks card stinks. It seems like a lot of teams that shouldn't be favored by as much as they are. I mean Iowa favored by 28 points?

OHIO +35 is too many points for OSU to cover, especially with a hurt Wells and USC on deck. I think OHIO can put up 7 or 10 points and that should get the job done in covering this game. OSU still has suspensions in their DBackfield to boot.

GL!...:thumbs:
                            I actually looked at that one long and hard, and I pretty much agree. OSU isn't going to show a damn thing this week(just like they didn't last week) to Slippery Pete. I'm just not sure Ohio U can punch one in against the Buckeyes base D. I know it was only YSU, but OSU gave up something like -10 rush yards. That's insanity. Their D is, IMO, the best in the land. 74 yards total to any team is pretty damn good. It also scares me that they have weapons at RB that will still be able to dominate OU in Sayne(sp?) and the other Wells.

Scary line, but I still might play the dog.

Can't wait for the OSU/PSU game, except for last year always a good one to watch. :thumbs:

Comment

Reading over some Penn State stuff, there are rumblings that DE Maurice Evans, a corner(presumably AJ Wallace) and a DT(presumably Abe Koroma), could be suspended and/or booted from the team for a marijuana violation. The police haven't released any names yet, but an apartment was searched and marijuana found, and that's all the info that's speculation from people that know as to the people involved.

If I hear anything else, I'll let ya know.

EDIT: Probably won't be suspended for this week, but keep an eye on it going forward. And now I'm hearing only TE Andrew Quarless and AJ Wallace were listed in the warrant.
                              Last edited by NittanyLions94; 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X