Championship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Championship Discussion Thread

obviously everyone and their mother likes Florida tonight, but i'm leaning Oklahoma. anyone wanna talk me out of it? yes, the Big 12 hasn't played well this bowl season, but so what? Oklahoma is clearly the class of the Big 12. yes, i am aware they lost to a mediocre Texas team, but didn't Florida lose to a mediocre Ole Miss team? didn't the SEC runner-up (who gave Florida all they could handle) just get pasted by Utah? this conference thing is really overblown, IMO. most books have +6 now and rising...might be able to get us much as TD before game time, and if that happens i'm most definitely pulling the trigger.

thoughts?
    MLB '09 YTD (9-1-0) +11.36 Units

Well I think the main thing people keep hitting on for Florida is their defense is so much better. IMO, I don't really see it that way. OU has played against much better offenses (Almost all ranked in the top 50 in the country) and you could ask the question, chicken or the egg, but as I see it they are fairly comparable in level of performance when you compare it to the opponents expected level of offensive performance. Obviously it is a little easier to have a defense appear great when you get to face the South Carolina, Vandy and Tennessee's. Although it goes both ways as those teams have very good defenses. I think it will be a competitive game and Oklahoma comes out on top.
    MLB
    May
    Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
    Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
    Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
    Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
    Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
    Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

Agreed you cannot look at the bowls to determine what is what in this game. Teams are motivated for different reasons in the bowls and some are not motivated at all. Though I believe Ole Miss was very motivated against TT, and TT was not so much. The Sugar Bowl was Utahs Superbowl, and it was Bama's game after they lost their Superbowl. I think both Texas and OSU were very motivated for different reasons and we saw a hard fought game. I would argue that neither Ole Miss or Texas is mediocre.

Defense wins championships...or so they say. Okies is not half as good as Florida's. Though Florida's O is probably not as good as Okies, though Okies O is inflated because everyone in the Big 12 is weak on D. Go look at their seasons and score totals and you see some defining points in my opinion. Other points to consider. UF has a better coach, they are also playing in a stadium that their players are very comfortable in i.e 14 players on their roster won state championships in this place, Sooners should be feeling the pressure more IMHO as they are not so hot last few BCS, but they also carry a chip on their shoulder to prove people wrong that they can win a BCS game, they also are hearing how bad there D is and therefore they will come out motivated to show that is not the case either. Do you like a team feeling pressure or one that is more relaxed..so to speak....as for Chips Tebow will also be motivated to show is not the 4th best QB in the Big 12. Lots of things to consider. I like my chances with the better coach, better QB, home team, more relaxed team, and better D. This may point to a win for UF but an ATS cover?Hopefully:beerbang:

P.s Heisman winners dont win Championships;)
      Last edited by BoKnows; 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

as far as motivation, which I think is definitely a big factor in capping bowl games, wouldn't you think Oklahoma has far more? all they've been hearing all week is how they're gonna lose, how great Tim Tebow is, and how they can never win a BCS bowl game. ya gotta figure they're more than past due in a game like this...
        MLB '09 YTD (9-1-0) +11.36 Units

Comment

hey franchise.....go check the stats on the teams OKLA has played defensively. they have played 3 teams ranked #110 or lower and just about all of the teams they have played rank in the bottom half of D1. In fact, they haven't faced a top tier defense all year long other than TCU.

KState #118
          TEXAM #114
          Washington #111
          Mizzou #100
          KU#95
          Baylor #88
          OKST#87
          TexTech #72
          Chattanooga not even a D-1 team
          Nebraska #66
          TCU#2

give me a break. and TCU being #2 is probably somewhat a product of playing in the MWC. I think FLA defense is much better than TCU's.
          I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
            as far as motivation, which I think is definitely a big factor in capping bowl games, wouldn't you think Oklahoma has far more? all they've been hearing all week is how they're gonna lose, how great Tim Tebow is, and how they can never win a BCS bowl game. ya gotta figure they're more than past due in a game like this...
            Both will be motivated, one will be feeling a lot less pressure. Less pressure = less mistakes. I assure you Meyer will be selling his team on the fact they are being disrespected for many reasons to help their motivation. As Tebow put it in his media interview you better be motivated in a NC game.

Comment

I will be the first to say that oklahoma's defense was dung against Texas, but also that it has been much improved since. I think that game was their wake up call on that side of the ball, so to speak, and they have clearly been a different defensive unit since then.

Also, keep in mind that OU has given up a lot of yards/points when games were far out of hand, for whatever that's worth, so their relatively poor statistical defensive numbers may be just slightly skewed.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                hey franchise.....go check the stats on the teams OKLA has played defensively. they have played 3 teams ranked #110 or lower and just about all of the teams they have played rank in the bottom half of D1. In fact, they haven't faced a top tier defense all year long other than TCU.

KState #118
                TEXAM #114
                Washington #111
                Mizzou #100
                KU#95
                Baylor #88
                OKST#87
                TexTech #72
                Chattanooga not even a D-1 team
                Nebraska #66
                TCU#2

give me a break. and TCU being #2 is probably somewhat a product of playing in the MWC. I think FLA defense is much better than TCU's.

and in fact, i just looked....Chattanooga is the 9th WORST defensive team in 1-AA so add another horse **** defense to the list of teams OKLA has played. They haven't been challenged by a fast good defense all year long since september. I think that catches up with them tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Stifler's Mom View Post
                  I will be the first to say that oklahoma's defense was dung against Texas, but also that it has been much improved since. I think that game was their wake up call on that side of the ball, so to speak, and they have clearly been a different defensive unit since then.

Also, keep in mind that OU has given up a lot of yards/points when games were far out of hand, for whatever that's worth, so their relatively poor statistical defensive numbers may be just slightly skewed.
                  homer....:beerbang:...i remember that OKLA jersey you were sporting...:beerbang:

Comment

and for what's it's worth.....FLA ranks 8th in total defense, 5th in PPG allowed, 10th in opponent completion percentage, 18th in pass yards against per game, 20th in YPC against, 2nd in the nation in interceptions........nothing the likes that OKLA has seen this year.

maybe OKLA is for real offensively but we won't know until the end of this game IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                      and for what's it's worth.....FLA ranks 8th in total defense, 5th in PPG allowed, 10th in opponent completion percentage, 18th in pass yards against per game, 20th in YPC against, 2nd in the nation in interceptions........nothing the likes that OKLA has seen this year.

maybe OKLA is for real offensively but we won't know until the end of this game IMO.
                      Why don't you put some money where your mouth is? :thumbs:

Comment

I was actually more making the argument that the most obvious play in this game (imo) is the under. A total of around 70 with the new clock rules suggests a TD on nearly every possession! Either that or some really quick scores. I just don't see it happening.

I think alot of people will be shocked when this turns out to be a defensive battle, probably in the 20's, as I don't think either one of these offenses is just going to score at will tonight like it seems most people think either one or both of them will.

Special teams might just be key tonight....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaymanIslands View Post
                          Why don't you put some money where your mouth is? :thumbs:
                          LOL....coming from you this comment holds a lot of water. This is a discussion thread...read the title.

Comment

I think alot of people will be shocked when this turns out to be a defensive battle, probably in the 20's, as I don't think either one of these offenses is just going to score at will tonight like it seems most people think either one or both of them will.

Agreed:thumbs:

Comment

I was actually more making the argument that the most obvious play in this game (imo) is the under. A total of around 70 with the new clock rules suggests a TD on nearly every possession! Either that or some really quick scores. I just don't see it happening.

i agree stif...and once again if so advantage FLA IMO
                              Last edited by FlyersFan; 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X