Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should There Be an NCAA Football Playoff System?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should There Be an NCAA Football Playoff System?

Should there be an NCAA Football playoff system? Sweet 16? Great 8? More? Less?

We want to hear your opinion now!

Put me down for a system in which the top 16 teams go. This seems to be the point in the lineup where there's a big falloff after the mid teens ranked teams.

Cut off one week of the regular season, extend the playoffs a bit and let 1st place be earned!
    Delivering previews and picks to your computer 365/days a year!

The Bowls can be playoff sites! :thumbs:
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

I like it. Something like take the top or top two of each conference and put them into a bracket with top seeds based on win percentage then strength of schedule. Will have some 16-1 (or whatever) games like in March Madness, but at least those lower seeded teams will have a shot.
      NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
      MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
      MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
      NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
      Updated on 01/13/18
      ---
      One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

yea, not only can the bowls be playoff sites, but they can still advertise and sponsor each playoff game. You know like the real crappy bowl sponsors would just be done away with. Then the mid grade bowls like the peach bowl or gator bowl could be the sponsor of one of the first round matchups. But then like the final four would have the sugar bowl and rose bowl as the two sponsors. Something like that. So all those bowls don't go to waste and everyone still gets their piece of the pie as far as dollars go.

Comment

Oh hell they ruined it years ago for greed. It was great when I was a kid. Bowl games on Jan 1 all day long every channel. Only thing that screwed it up was if Jan 1 was on a Sunday. Yes boys there was a time when College did not play on Sundays. Im still trying to figure out how the Fiesta Bowl thing got up there in the top and knocked the Cotten Bowl down to a crap game. Sometimes people cant let go of the past. Like me lol. You got stuff going on with the bowl game. I'll tell you the Rose Bowl Parade plays a big part in this . That's a big TV market thing big money. So you go to a play off system and you get rid of a money maker. So now you know what the hold off is a couple of floats. :laughing:
          NFL 2-0. Week 1
          Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

No playoff in my opinion unless it is something like this.

Go back to the old system. Bowls with conference tie ins, last real bowls on New Years Day. Bowls bidding for teams like the old days. That will make New Year's Bowls all important as teams know they have to win to get a chance to play in a 4 team playoff. Teams will be picked just like the NCAA tournament in hoops... a committee, done on Jan 2.

Playoff semifinals will be played at the two highest seeded teams stadiums....much like the NFL. Winners go on to the championship game which would be cycled through the cities as done now.

I like the fact that the reg season means a lot. Losing is not an option. It makes games in September that much more important and keeps interest up.

Just my thoughts.....
            Go Boilers!
            thru 2/3

NCAAF ’20 215-187-5 +75.19
            NCAAF ’21 200-169-7 +37.80
            NCAAF '22 239-216-14 +24.41

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
            NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
            NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

NCAAB ’21-22 908-771-42 +196.07
            NCAAB '22-23 510-488-9 -43.13

NHL '20-21 171-154-2 +42.97
            NHL ’21-22 223-241-5 -65.79
            NHL '22-23 153-149-3 -21.97

NBA ’20-21 241-223-7 +11.97
            NBA ’21-22 282-266-6 -1.93
            NBA '22-23 225-246-9 -94.88

Comment

I agree with Boiler 100%. What makes College football season exciting is that almost any game can be an elimination game. If you make a playoff system the regular season becomes much less meaningful. For example, I have no interest in College basketball (other than pointspread ramifications) until the NCAA tourney but I will watch a September football game with great interest knowing that it will affect that team for the entire season. That being said, there is no doubt that if there was a playoff system it would surpass anything in any sport IMO as far as just the postseason event.

Comment

for what its worth i enjoy the bowl system..the bcs needs to be changed but no playoff for me.
                no matter how much you expand the playoff possibilities there will always be a team left out. also when you consider the teams from the mid-majors who are always around that 12 to 20 range even though they are undefeated, there will still be some left out. The problem is that some major conferences are much weaker than the others. the top 3 sec and big 12 teams last year would have killed the acc and big east champs, but they get automatic bids....some teams go to big bowl games that dont deserve it, others get screwed....either way the games are what i enjoy, and when the ball is kicked off it doesnt much matter what happened before.

how much ****in longer til football....i cant stop talkin about it

Comment

Playoffs start Sept. 5th.
                  I agree with QUEEN, load them up on New Years Day and have a champ by midnight.
                  Before you know it, they will be playing the BCS Championship game in February!
                  LoganSQ

Comment

Working...
                  X