Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOISE STATE at FRESNO STATE BOISE STATE at FRESNO STATE

BOISE STATE at FRESNO STATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight the Boise State Broncos take on the Fresno State Bulldogs. Playing at Fresno State this game has all the makings of a very action packed display of American College Football. The game will be televised on ESPN at 9PM primetime.
    Last year the Broncos had an undefeated season and went on to lose by only one point in the Poinsettia Bowlto TCU. They were first in the WAC in total yardage at +162 per game, The offense generated 457 yds per game, while a stingy defense gave up only 295 yds per game finishing in that catagory first also in WAC competition. The rushing defense was 16th in the FBS allowing 105 yds per game. With these fantastic numbers they were not recognized with the respect they deserved by the BCS.
    They lost both starting DT's and two very good linebackers but the defensive seconday all return. Kellen Moore returns as QB(3486 yds, 25 TDs to 10 INTs) and the offensive line returns 3 starters. The biggest loss from last years squad is top running back Ian Johnson(766 yds, 5.1 Avg and 13 TDs) and the top receiver Jeremy Childs(802 yds, 11.1 avg and 7 TDs). Fortunately they are deep at running back and DJ Harper and Jeremy Avery will produce as well and probably better this season. Avery is a passing threat out of the backfield and Austin Pettis who had 567 rec yds last season will see the ball often. Kyle Wilson is a dangerous punt returner taking 3 to the goal line in 2008. The offense runs a power I and the defense is a solid unit with the 4-3.

On the Fresno State side of the ball, they return the 3 top rushers of 2008 in Anthony Harding (822 yds, 5.6 avg and 6 TDs)Lonyae Miller(812 yds, 6.8 avg and 7 TDS) and Ryan Matthews(606 yds, 5.4 avg and 6 TDS). They also return Seyi Ajirotutu who will pose a very serious threat as receiver this year. Last years numbers were 795 yds, 16.9 avg and 5 TDs for Seyi. Three other receivers with around 250 yds each will also see a lot of action. They are Marlon Moore, Chastin West and Devon Wylie. QB was a serious concern entering the 2009 season, and Ryan Colburn will take up that resposibility. He threw 4 TD passes against Wisconsin last week but the bulldogs came up short in a game that saw Wisconsin's Phillip Welch kick a 22 yd FG after Colburn threw an interception to Wisconsin's C Maragos on the very first play of the second overtime. Inexperience showed itself for Colburn. Fresno also runs a power I offense and a 4-3 defense.

Boise State has won 7 of 8 meetings between the clubs since Boise joined the WAC in 2001. And won all 3 at Boise State by an average of 29 points and last years contest by 51 points, 61-10.

These two teams know each other well, but Fresno State could only muster 10 points in the 2008 showing, with Tom Brandstater under center. Fresno State also lost 4 starting offensive linemen from that 2008 season and I believe Fresno will have problems in that area tonight. Boise State defense is anchored by ALL-WAC DE Ryan Winterswyk and ALL-WAC CB Kyle Wilson. I don't see Fresno scoring a lot of points on this Boise State defense, and Colburn could once again show the jitters. I am not stating that he will, but he could, and that's good enough for me. Boise was a sacking machine issuing 28 in 2008 and Colburn could find himself being dropped for a loss a few times tonight. I am picking Boise State to continue their dominance over the Bulldogs and to cover the 7 or so spread.

Good luck whatever you do.

"Everybody plays the fool, sometomes.....there's no exception to the rule"
Working...
X