KENT FOOTBALL UPDATE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KENT FOOTBALL UPDATE

IF YOU LIKE BUFFALO.....YOU'LL SURELY LIKE THEM NOW AND WANT TO GRAB THE LINE BEFORE IT SKYROCKETS!

Spencer Keith will miss Buffalo game…
    Saturday, November 21st, 2009 | General Discussions | DavidCarducci

Spencer Keight suffered a separated right shoulder early in the second half of Kent State’s loss at Temple. The injury will keep the true freshman out of the lineup next week when the Golden Flashes close the regular season against Buffalo Friday at Dix Stadium

Keith was injured on KSU’s second offensive play of the second half. He watched the fourth quarter standing on the sideline with his arm in a sling. The Flashes enjoyed a 10-9 lead at the half thanks to Keith’s 232 yards on 18-for-30 passing in the first two quarters. With Keith on the sideline, the Flashes imploded in a 47-13 loss.

One-time starter Giorgio Morgan was 0-for-6 with an interception returned for a touchdown and a fumble to set up another score in three series after replacing Keith. Head coach Doug Martin finally had to turn to senior third-stringer Anthony Magazu to close out the game.

When Morgan lost his starting job to Keith earlier in the year, Martin said they would need the sophomore to come in and win a game for them at some point in the season. Morgan will have to be much, much better than he was Saturday for KSU to have any chance of beating Buffalo and finishing at .500 for the season.

UPDATE (6:23 p.m.):

By David Carducci
    Record-Courier staff writer

Spencer Keith will miss Kent State’s season finale with Buffalo Friday at Dix Stadium with a separated shoulder suffered in Saturday’s 47-13 loss to Temple.

“Spencer has a grade-three separation, which is the worst you can have,” said KSU head coach Doug Martin. “It’s a six-week injury and we only have one game to play.”

After leading KSU to a first-half lead over Mid-American Conference East Division-leading Temple, Keith’s true freshman season came to an early end when his shoulder was rammed into the ground by blitzing Owls linebacker Alex Joseph early in the second half.

Former starting quarterback Giorgio Morgan suffered through a disastrous relief appearance, going 0-for-6 with an interception for a touchdown and a fumble to set up another score before being pulled late in the third quarter.

Senior third-string backup Anthony Maguzu was a respectable 3-for-4 for 24 yards in the fourth quarter. With the quarterback shaky at best without Keith, Martin is already trying to think of ways to move the against Buffalo in what is still an important game for the KSU program. With a win, the Flashes would finish the season at .500.

“Obviously we have Morgan and Magazu, but we may have to come up with some kind of ‘wildcat’ deal to get something going,” said Martin. “We may have to get creative.”

The Flashes used the wildcat offense briefly in an Oct. 10 loss to Bowling Green with athletic wide receiver Matthew Hurdle lining up at quarterback. Hurdle played quarterback on the scout team last season during his true freshman season.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

This is great info.

I think I am going to make a play on Buffalo now in a game I would have otherwise avoided.

From browsing other places, it seems most people are not even aware of this situation, as I have seen a few "There's no reason Buffalo should be favored here, take the points" comments.

Kent is drawing about 35% against the spread (percentage points different depending where you look), which is about normal for a home dog in a match up like this, and is getting 78% ML according to sports insights....which is the only place I know of that reports ML %'s.

What I can tell from that is that probably a lot of people just aren't aware of this QB situation and are betting the game as if all things are equal.

If these horrible backups are gonna beat me, then so be it.

Thanks for the info Joe :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
    X