Week #5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week #5

First game that jumps out, Miami -3 @ Clemson.

Canes -3(-110)..............1 unit.

Can't get a read on the Thursday night game, that IMO could go a SU win in either direction, no play for me.

Going with the odds on this one: OHIOST are 9-1 ATS vs. a team with a winning record. OHIOST are 21-5 ATS in their last 26 road games. ILL are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games. OSU's first roadie of the year, I don't see them rattled in this one.

Buckeyes -17(-120).........1 unit.

My college, good ole Kent St. may be 1-2. However, the last 2 games went against BC and Penn St. both away games and they played hard. Consider Saturday's 9/11/10 26-13 loss to the Golden Eagles an early season lesson. The defense kept it close, but five turnovers, including two muffed punts, eventually broke it open at Alumni Field. They still managed to keep it 6-3 into the 3rd quarter.
    There trip to Penn St found the defense once again keeping them in the game. Kent State couldn't capitalize offensively, quarterback Spencer Keith often looked shaky, with some wobbly passes and the Golden Flashes were mired in mistakes when they drove into Penn State territory.
    Keith finished the game 20-of-36 for 170 yards, hitting short passes but otherwise looking lost against Penn State's pressure. Different look this week playing the Red Hawks who are getting 3 @ home. KSU will get some points and the defense will be very tough against an average Miami offense. MIAOH are 6-20 ATS vs. a team with a losing record.

Golden Flashes -3(-110)............2 units.

Looking over a few more, GL this week.
    NCAAF '12: 11-16-0, -7.90 units.
    O/U:4-2, +1.80 units.
    Teasers:
    Rothstein's leans:
    Double Digit Home Dogs:9-7-1, +1.30 units.
    NCAAB '11-'12: 128-123-0, -10.80 units.
    O/U: 46-38, +2.80 units.
    Rothstein's "leans":
    Double Digit Home Dogs: 36-20-3, +13.10 units.

Nicky,

Couldn't agree more with the Bucks expected to pummel Zook and Kent to start their trek toward a MAC East title which isn't far off. That Flashes D has been very stubborn against the run and made some very big plays at the right times. And....to help out the offense Eugene Jarvis is expected back this week. Don't know about the U, I was actually looking at the other side of that game.

As always GL this week! Let's hope for a Flashes victory in Oxford that hasn't happened often but has recently.

:beerbang:
    Last edited by joepa66; 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Will KSU's Eugene Jarvis play? No ... well ... maybe
      By David Carducci | Staff writer

Are the coaching staffs at Kent State and Miami University engaging a little shell game during the lead-up to the Golden Flashes’ Mid-American Conference opener Saturday in Oxford?

On Sunday, KSU head coach Doug Martin hinted that star running back Eugene Jarvis probably would not return from a groin injury in time to face the RedHawks.

This Saturday had been the target date for a Jarvis comeback ever since he was injured in a Sept. 2 win over Murray State. Miami head coach Michael Haywood clearly isn’t buying what Martin is selling.

“We are looking forward to Jarvis coming back,” Haywood said Monday during the MAC’s weekly coaches teleconference. “We get reports that he won’t be back, but everything is pointing in his direction that he will return in this game, so we are looking forward to going up against him.”

So what’s the truth?

While most signs point to Jarvis missing a third consecutive game, Martin added to the mystery during the same teleconference by saying KSU hoped Jarvis will in fact play.

“He did practice some (on Sunday), although he wasn’t live,” Martin said. “We are going to go out and do some full speed work (today). If Eugene can get in that and get thumped around a bit and prove he can still hold onto the football, then we certainly will play him. We are hopeful he will be able to play.”

Just a few short hours later, Martin switched again to a more skeptical tone regarding Jarvis during a press conference in the Varsity “K” room at Dix Stadium.

“He hasn’t practiced,” Martin said, “I would doubt Eugene will play. Until you practice, you can’t play, and so far he has not been on the practice field.”

Martin did point again to today’s practice as the key to determining if Jarvis will be available this weekend. If the sixth-year senior does not participate in today’s workout, Martin said he will not play on Saturday.

“As far as I’m concerned, he has to get out there and do full-speed stuff,” said Maritn. “You can’t take five weeks off and then jump out there and fumble the first time you get hit. We are not doing that.”

Our team has worked too hard to do that to us, or to Eugene. He wouldn’t be ready, and that wouldn’t be fair to him either. So he is going to have to go (today),” Martin said.

If Jarvis does not play against Miami, junior Jacquise Terry would start for the third consecutive game and share the ball-carrying duties with sophomore Dri Archer.

Terry gashed Miami for 103 yards on 15 carries last season in his first career start after replacing Jarvis, who had been lost for the 2009 season with a Week 2 kidney injury.

Martin has also decided to officially take the redshirt off of true freshman running back Robert Hollomon if Jarvis does not return against Miami.

“I really like the way Rob has practiced,” said Martin. “He gives us a lot of what Eugene does. He makes people miss. He is really explosive through the hole. So, if Eugene doesn’t go this week, you’ll probably see Robert Hollomon in this game at some point.”

Hollomon taking the field against Miami would create further intrigue for KSU at the running back position. The Flashes are not about to burn the redshirt of a talented first-year player just to use him in one game. lf Hollomon plays on Saturday, the Flashes will be committing themselves to having him share carries with their veteran backs for the rest of 2010. And if that happens, Jarvis may find himself returning to at least a marginally reduced role when he finally returns.

Jarvis, who is 571 yards shy of KSU’s career rushing record, does not appear appear on KSU’s official depth chart for this week. Terry is listed No. 1 and Archer at No. 2.
      Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Best of luck NS:thumbs:

Love KSU this week!

Comment

HMMMM

THAT KENT STATE GAME IS 1 TO STAY AWAY FROM..MIAMI OH DEFENSE ISNT BAD..AN KENT ST HASNT SHOWED ME MUCH..IM LOOKING@A CARD NOW...I TOOK M-OH BUT DECIDED TO LEAVE IT ALONE:bang:....I REALLY LIKE CANES OVER CLEMSON THOUGH..I HOPE JACORY GETS THE JOB DONE:thumbs:

Comment

Joe, nice new avatar by the way. I think the Flashes coaching staff are going to make Jarvis a "Game time decision", just to keep the Redhawks on their toes. Thanks for the article, much appreciated. rocjones, not sure what you see in a good d in Miami, they gave up 469 yards to Mizzou and were down by 21 at the end of quarter #1. I know they are higher caliber team but, Penn St. is as well and the Flashes did hang for a while. Kent scores a couple TD's and a kick or two I think the defense takes care of that Redhawk offense.

Jarvis would be HUGE if he were to play.
            Teasers:
            Rothstein's leans:
            Rothstein's "leans":

Comment

HMMMM

I ALSO SEEN THAT SAME M-OH TEAM GIVE FLORIDA GATORS A COUPLE OF FITS 1ST WEEK REMEMBER...ITS GONNA B A CLOSE GAME..ITS JUS 1 OF THOSE CAN GO EITHER WAY TYPES:thumbs:
              Originally posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
              Joe, nice new avatar by the way. I think the Flashes coaching staff are going to make Jarvis a "Game time decision", just to keep the Redhawks on their toes. Thanks for the article, much appreciated. rocjones, not sure what you see in a good d in Miami, they gave up 469 yards to Mizzou and were down by 21 at the end of quarter #1. I know they are higher caliber team but, Penn St. is as well and the Flashes did hang for a while. Kent scores a couple TD's and a kick or two I think the defense takes care of that Redhawk offense.

Jarvis would be HUGE if he were to play.

Comment

That's true Roc and they covered there line. It was impressive. This upcoming is a great MAC match-up, just really liking the d of Kent. Hope I don't eat those words.
                Teasers:
                Rothstein's leans:
                Rothstein's "leans":

Comment

Don't forget those 8 Gator bad snaps and multiple turnovers........:puke:

Comment

UPDATE ON KENT STATE RB EUGENE JARVIS:

Already a must win for KSU on Saturday?
                    Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 | General Discussions | DavidCarducci

It’s only the first week of the MAC season, but I’ve already talked to several KSU fans who consider Saturday at Miami a must win.

I’ve actually thought that this may be the most important game in KSU’s season as soon as the schedule was released months ago. Win and it sets the tone for the year for a team trying to finally enjoy a break-out year. Lose and its already an up-hill battle. Ohio University was able to do that last year, fighting back from an early-season loss to KSU to win a title, but it’s never easy for a team like Kent State, with no winning tradition, to find a way to climb back into a race.

I’m interested in what you all think. Must win? Need to win? No big deal?

I’ve also been struck by the KSU fans’ willingness to accept a wait-and-see attitude so far this year. That’s also not easy for a win-starved fan base. I have several close friends who are KSU alumni who are traditionally impatient, but have been willing to reserve judgement this year with the athletic department’s new commitment to football first and the idea that Martin and his staff are starting to get some of the resources teams need to be a winner.

A quick note. I was at practice Wednesday at Dix Stadium and Jarvis did not participate one day after taking part in half of a practice. I have a feeling he will not play at Miami.

I don’t think Monte Simmons will play, either, but he’s doing everything he can to get back on the field. He’s working very hard and that should have him back for the Akron game. Pretty impressive, returning to the field four weeks after fracturing a fibula.

Comment

In true degenerate fashion, here goes:

Boise St -44.5(-110)................1 unit.

Michigan O37.5(-120)...............1 unit.

W. Mich+145..........................1 unit.

........and yes, I'm sober:laughing: GL to all!
                      Teasers:
                      Rothstein's leans:
                      Rothstein's "leans":

Comment

good luck nicky like the OSU as well
                        NFL 8-5 + 5.97

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Comment

Working...
                        X