Deputies Held Arrest Contests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputies Held Arrest Contests

LMAO Now this is just some funny whacked out **** and seriously ****ed up!

Sort of like end of the month quota for speeding tickets! Man I think I should become a cop! I use to be good at contest..................

BB:thumbs:

Report: LA Deputies Held Arrest Contests

Associated Press
    Thursday October 04, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Sheriff's deputies have been competing in organized contests to see who could make the most arrests, who could impound the most cars and who could question the most gang members.
    The contests were meant to boost morale and motivate deputies, but some observers are crying foul, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

One of the competitions, outlined in an internal Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department e-mail, was "Operation Any Booking." The object of the contest was to see who could arrest the most people in a 24-hour period.
    "It's just a friendly competition to have a little fun out here," said Lt. James Tatreau, who helped organize the events. "It's a morale booster."

Tatreau said that when he joined a station in Lakewood, he noticed some patrol deputies made 15 to 20 arrests a month, while others made seven arrests in an entire year.

The prize for winning was "bragging rights," Tatreau said.

Several police observers were not impressed.

Hubert Williams, president of the Washington, D.C.-based Police Foundation, said the competitions were "highly problematic and inappropriate."
    "The arrest is one of the most potent tools in the possession of law enforcement and should be used with great thought," Williams said. "It's not a competition or a game."

Los Angeles County Public Defender Michael P. Judge, wondered if the games could prompt deputies to make illegitimate arrests to boost numbers.

"Certainly, it calls into question whether there was a legitimate reason to book any of the people who were booked during the time of the competition," Judge said.

According to a Times review of records, Operation Any Booking did not result in an increase in arrests on the day of the contest.

But the impound competition may have increased the number of vehicles seized, with records showing a spike in vehicle seizures the day of the contest.

Sheriff Lee Baca said the competitions were a well-meaning but poorly conceived idea that promoted "the wrong values."

"We're not into numbers, we're into quality," Baca said. "I don't think it will occur again."
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

I love it!

Hell, if you aren't breaking the law then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Pull me over copper, I don't care, I have nothing to hide.
    If a guy doesn't have any gamble in him, he ain't worth a crap - Evel Knievel
    What's done in the dark will be brought to the light -Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by NevadaJay View Post
      Hell, if you aren't breaking the law then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Pull me over copper, I don't care, I have nothing to hide.
      I used to think that way too, but it gets really old after a while. I got pulled last week, and let go in 20 minutes. Happens to me at least a couple times a year. Pulled, searched, tested (sober) and let go. The problem is that each time that happens it gets marked and they can pull it up. I had a trouble with my last BC check because my name popped up so many times, even though I've never been arrested and have had one ticket in my life.

Comment

Working...
      X