• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEAF - I am "green" no more......LOL

Study: Canadian Beer Drinkers Threaten Planet
    AP

A threat to the planet, eh?

Scientists have found a new threat to the planet: Canadian beer drinkers.

The government-commissioned study says the old, inefficient "beer fridges" that one in three Canadian households use to store their Molson and Labatt's contribute significantly to global warming by guzzling gas- and coal-fired electricity.

"People need to understand the impact of their lifestyles," British environmental consultant Joanna Yarrow tells New Scientist magazine. "Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home. This research helps inform people — let's hope it has an effect."

The problem is that the beer fridges are mostly decades-old machines that began their second careers as beverage dispensers when Canadians upgraded to more energy-efficient models to store whatever Canadians eat besides doughnuts and poutine.

University of Alberta researcher Denise Young, who led the study, suggests that provincial authorities hold beer-fridge buy-backs or round-ups to eliminate the threat — methods that Americans use to get guns off the streets.
    Attached Files
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

lol, Joepa.

Yeah...thats a big thing up here....every house I remember going to as a kid had those old fridges in the garage full of beer. The thing is...every house still has them storing beer as the only purpose! I love it....but now the government actually has this program called the "Great Refrigerater Roundup" where they will pick up your old garage beer fridge and cart it away for free...and give you a rebate for a new energy saving fridge, because the old clunkers use so much energy. TV commercials..magazine Ads...the whole thing. Too much, eh?

Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I live in London, Ontario for 2 years that's all they do. Drink, smoke, and watch hockey. The problem is that you can only buy liquor from these government regulated stores, these "Liquor" or "Beer" stores, and thats all they sell and they are the only ones allowed to sell it. The place closes at 8 or 9 pm, but the drinking age is 19.

Comment

Originally posted by V3r1f13d View Post
        that's all they do. Drink, smoke, and watch hockey.
        What else is there?? :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          What else is there?? :dunno:
          Ya, there really isn't much else to do out there.

Those Canadian Snow Bunny chicks have got me hooked. I swear, I've had this Canadian girl fetish ever since I moved back to Cali. I don't know what it is about them, but I swear I am going to marry a Canadian chick. So bomb...

Comment

I thought you was going to say it was from all the farting beer drinkers.

Really thought you was going to say it had the same impact as the sheep from New Zealand.

:laughing:

And you thought I was joking:

Friday Funny: To Prevent Global Warming, New Zealand Proposes 'Fart Tax' | Planetizen
            Last edited by Queen; 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM.
            NFL 2-0. Week 1
            Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

Working...
            X