I don't know if anyone already posted this but:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if anyone already posted this but:

The chair of the House of Representatives financial services committee is considering legislation that would overturn the ban on online gambling passed by Congress last fall. A spokesman for Rep. Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat, said Wednesday the congressman may introduce a bill to reverse the Internet gambling law, but he stressed there is nothing concrete yet.
    "There's no draft, no text - this is very much still in the thinking stage," said Steve Adamske.

The Financial Times quoted Frank on Wednesday saying that the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is "preposterous" and one of the "stupidest" laws ever passed.

Attached to a larger security bill last October, the act makes it illegal for U.S. banks and credit-card companies to process payments to online gambling businesses outside the United States.

The legislation caught many British-based companies off guard, causing companies like Sportingbet PLC and Leisure & Gaming PLC to sell their U.S. operations.

Poker Players Alliance, a lobby group pushing for a repeal of the ban, earlier this month hired former Republican senator Alfonse D'Amato to chair its board. The group, funded by online gambling businesses, was formed in 2005 to oppose regulation of Internet gambling.

However, a move to overturn the law would face long odds, said Anthony Cabot, a lawyer who specializes in gambling issues.

"It's very difficult to get legislators to support something that could be perceived as pro-gambling, particularly at the federal level," Cabot said.

"I think the congressman has a difficult battle ahead of him."

A spokesman for Partygaming PLC, the largest online poker business in the world, declined comment.

Shares of British gambling firms jumped Wednesday on speculation they could eventually re-enter the American online gambling market, which had revenues estimated at $5.8 billion in 2005.

Source: AP Newswire
    a.d.

2021 NHL: (through 02/24/2021)
    Sides: +17.4 units
    Totals: +0 units
    In Game (Not posted) -0.6 units
    Parlay: -1.8

All 2021 NHL:+14.9 units

I will say my prayers for this tonight.
    If a guy doesn't have any gamble in him, he ain't worth a crap - Evel Knievel
    What's done in the dark will be brought to the light -Johnny Cash

Comment

How sick is it that we're all hoping to have some freedoms, what our constitution guarantees us in the first place.

Govt has gone way too far. I grew up thinking Im a republican, but I can't say that anymore.

Their all crooks no matter who we vote in.

Comment

I hope the legislators know that all the law did was give a bigger market to local bookies and is supporting organized crime. It didn't make people stop gambling, it just forced them to find different avenues to get their bets placed.

Comment

Working...
        X