The Wire Season 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wire Season 5

Just a friendly reminder that the fifth and final season of the greatest program to enter your home via your television screen starts Sunday at 10:00 pm on HBO. It sucks that its the final season, but Simon knows how to go out on top.

For those of you who haven't seen The Wire....well, I am completely jealous...you can go out and get the DVDs of the first four seasons and be treated to some of the best television ever made.

I know I sound like a commercial....but IMHO, The Wire is the best show I've seen in my life. Its not warm and fuzzy...it punches you in the gut and you often feel troubled after an especially emotional episode....but it deals with the problems of urban America unlike anything ever on tv. The fact that The Wire has never won an Emmy....well, I couldn't care less about the Emmys....but it just shows that the Emmys are ridiculous.

With so much crap on tv today....enjoy one of the true gems.
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

love the show. last season was great and cant wait for season 5. if u havnt seen the series before you really should watch the DVD's, it is a great show.

Comment

Just watched season 1 on DVD, because of your recommendation, Nigel. What a great show! Will probably be renting season 2 this weekend...

Also....Dexter is a great show too for anyone thats looking for something other that prime-time gameshows or reality TV....rent season 1....it's great....

Comment

The Wire is one of my favorite shows of all time. This show is absolutely LEGENDARY. No show in the history of television mirrors the real life of a city more then the Wire. I know cops who say the only show about cops they'll watch is the wire b/c it's the only one that is actually the way things go. I can't believe in it's 5 seasons they've never won an award for anything. I guess the truth hurts and voters for the awards shows are afraid to put some of today's inner city issues on the forefront. Sad to see the end of such a great show. McNulty, Avon Barksdale, Omar, Bodie, Marlo, Stringer, Bunk, Cutty, Bubbles, Prop Joe and Freeman are some of the best characters out there. If any of you haven't had a chance to check out the show i HIGHLY recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          Just watched season 1 on DVD, because of your recommendation, Nigel. What a great show! Will probably be renting season 2 this weekend...

Also....Dexter is a great show too for anyone thats looking for something other that prime-time gameshows or reality TV....rent season 1....it's great....
          I'll have to go rent Dexter...my sister and brother in law are big fans. It will make for good watching once college hoops is done.

JML, just a little disclaimer about Season 2 of The Wire....each season has an overall theme even though the storylines still remain in place. Season 1 was the streets. Season 2 deals with the ports....the storyline of the Barksdale clan still continues, but a lot of the focus is on the ports. At first, I didn't like Season 2 nearly as much as Season 1 because I wanted the focus to be on the Barksdale clan. However, I've now watched all four season twice, and I have come to really appreciate Season 2. Season 3 returns its focus to the streets and the overall theme is thinking outside the box when dealing with the war on drugs and it also delves into politics...its a great season...especially with Avon and Stringer Bell. Season 4 deals with schooling in the inner city....personally, I think Season 4 is the best I've seen. Season 5 deals with the media and it centers around the Baltimore Sun.

When I watched the Wire the first time, I wasn't expecting the major turn in the plotline that occurs from Season 1 to Season 2. Just be forewarned that you'll be getting more Polish dock workers than Barksdales. There are some great new characters though...Frank Sobotka's is tremendous.

Enjoy and glad you liked Season 1!

Corey, dwd and JML, one of my favorite scenes in the first season is the scene where McNulty and Bunk go to that apartment where D'Angelo supposedly shot Avon's girl at Avon's request. They walk into the kitchen....the entire scene is them figuring out how the shooting occurred, the angles, etc. and finally finding the bullet. The entire scene was, "****....**** me....mother****er....****ity **** ****....****." Probably a one to two minute scene with the only word being used was variations of ****....great stuff....lol.
          Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
            I'll have to go rent Dexter...my sister and brother in law are big fans. It will make for good watching once college hoops is done.

JML, just a little disclaimer about Season 2 of The Wire....each season has an overall theme even though the storylines still remain in place. Season 1 was the streets. Season 2 deals with the ports....the storyline of the Barksdale clan still continues, but a lot of the focus is on the ports. At first, I didn't like Season 2 nearly as much as Season 1 because I wanted the focus to be on the Barksdale clan. However, I've now watched all four season twice, and I have come to really appreciate Season 2. Season 3 returns its focus to the streets and the overall theme is thinking outside the box when dealing with the war on drugs and it also delves into politics...its a great season...especially with Avon and Stringer Bell. Season 4 deals with schooling in the inner city....personally, I think Season 4 is the best I've seen. Season 5 deals with the media and it centers around the Baltimore Sun.

When I watched the Wire the first time, I wasn't expecting the major turn in the plotline that occurs from Season 1 to Season 2. Just be forewarned that you'll be getting more Polish dock workers than Barksdales. There are some great new characters though...Frank Sobotka's is tremendous.

Corey, dwd and JML, one of my favorite scenes in the first season is the scene where McNulty and Bunk go to that apartment where D'Angelo supposedly shot Avon's girl at Avon's request. They walk into the kitchen....the entire scene is them figuring out how the shooting occurred, the angles, etc. and finally finding the bullet. The entire scene was, "****....**** me....mother****er....****ity **** ****....****." Probably a one to two minute scene with the only word being used was variations of ****....great stuff....lol.

Season Two is great. I know people who felt exactly like you but afterwards when they tie everything together they absolutely loved it. I remember the scene your talking about and that was an excellent scene. Especially when they find the bullett in the fridge. :thumbs:

Comment

i've heard nothing but good things about this show time and time again. I want to get into it, but its a just a matter of when. Anyone know of a place to buy the seasons cheaper than say at best buy? I saw they have the 2nd season for 39.99, but the others were 54.99 or more. Might be worth buying the box set of seasons 1-3 for like 160.99 if the show is in fact that good. Im thinking I will rent the first season and go from there. But let me know if anyone has seen a complete season for cheaper somewhere.

Comment

just watched the first 3 episodes of season one and i can't say i'm impressed...

Comment

watched the 4th and 5th episodes.... still nothing

Comment

the show is so slow. it's been episodes since anything really exciting has happened in my opinion. i've watched the first 8 episodes of season 1 and i'm going to finish off the first season and see how it ends. I really want to believe those of you who say it is an amazing show, but if it's still dead by the end of the first season im done with it.

Comment

Hang in there, Daws. I'm hoping you'll find it rewarding. Keep in mind one thing. There are A LOT of characters in The Wire. Season 1 introduces you to all of them....so it is slow in that sense.

Also, The Wire prides itself on being realistic. Wire taps can be long, boring work. The Wire has no intention of being a 60 minute, high octane, shoot em up type of show. Its more about the story and character development.

You are watching part one of a five part series.

If it continues to bore, I'm sorry for recommending it.

Comment

Nigel,

i like it. The show definitely picked up in the last couple episodes. I have so many theories, but they seem too obvious. It's weird how in the last episode they just seem to move everyone back to their previous assignments, like the entire you unit it gone. I think Barksdale's lawyer is running everything...

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post

i've watched the first 4 episodes of season 2... pretty boring if you ask me. I don't know how much longer i can take of watching 6 boring episodes in return for 2 great ones...

Comment

Working...
                          X