Grammy Awards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammy Awards

I guess I am out of touch! Did anyone see the performance by Amy Winehouse, I was hoping Simon Cowell would come on and tell her she was horrible, it looked like a bad American Idol audition. Then the next award she wins album of the year, what a freak show!

Originally posted by Jerbeek View Post
    I guess I am out of touch! Did anyone see the performance by Amy Winehouse, I was hoping Simon Cowell would come on and tell her she was horrible, it looked like a bad American Idol audition. Then the next award she wins album of the year, what a freak show!
    nah she didnt win album of the year some guy did
    ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
    NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
    MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
    CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Originally posted by dananderson32 View Post
      nah she didnt win album of the year some guy did
      Yea, she won EVERY other award she was nominated for though, so I think she won 4 0f 5 and they were all big awards (Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Female Performance of the Year, and something else like that). She won the awards because people that know music (which admittedly is not me) say her album/songs/songwriting is not generically produced like everyone else and is different - much like her heroin addiction, it's considered raw and fundamental I guess.

The Grammys are AWFUL now, Ridiculous ridiculous collaborations, the Foo Fighters playing outside, Amy Winehouse in Britain because the US wouldn't grant her a VISA cause she's a ****-up on drugs, giving Lifetime Achievement Awards to any and everyone and half the people I've never heard of anyway... Kanye West talking for 14 minutes after he won an award and telling the sound guy that "it would be in good taste to turn the music off" after he went on and on about his mother for 5 minutes.

It was possibly the worst 3-4 hours of TV ever produced, IMHO. It was unwatchable at many points of the "show".

Comment

You are right, it was record of the year. I told my wife before it was announced that if she wins I am turning this show off, of course she did so I didn't have to watch anymore. I really thought that her performance was some sort of joke/skit. I had no idea that it was a serious performance, her dancing looked more like involuntary movements triggered by siezures. After reading a bit about her drug use, that may have been what it was - LOL! I guess I am just too old for that crap.

Also, can someone explain how that Umbrella song won a rap award. I kind of like the song but would never consider it rap. Oh well, I guess I will stick to watching sports.

Comment

You are right, it was record of the year. I told my wife before it was announced that if she wins I am turning this show off, of course she did so I didn't have to watch anymore. I really thought that her performance was some sort of joke/skit. I had no idea that it was a serious performance, her dancing looked more like involuntary movements triggered by siezures. After reading a bit about her drug use, that may have been what it was - LOL! I guess I am just too old for that crap.

Also, can someone explain how that Umbrella song won a rap award. I kind of like the song but would never consider it rap. Oh well, I guess I will stick to watching sports.
          its the grammys man what do you expect from a crowd that doesn't know what real rap music is

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
          NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
          MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
          CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

I'll have to look it up but my guess it that it won Rap/Song Duo Award - meaning it's a collaboration of rapping and singing (which it is). The only reason I'm guessing that's it is because Kanye West won almost every Rap Award there was to be won (at least the major ones). That category that Rihanna and Jay-Z's song won for it's a newer category I think (since the explosion of Ra/?singer collaborations).

Edit: Yea the technical term for the award is "Rap/Sung Collaboration: "Umbrella," Rihanna featuring Jay-Z."
            Last edited by CuseFan10; 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
              Yea, she won EVERY other award she was nominated for though, so I think she won 4 0f 5 and they were all big awards (Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Female Performance of the Year, and something else like that). She won the awards because people that know music (which admittedly is not me) say her album/songs/songwriting is not generically produced like everyone else and is different - much like her heroin addiction, it's considered raw and fundamental I guess.

The Grammys are AWFUL now, Ridiculous ridiculous collaborations, the Foo Fighters playing outside, Amy Winehouse in Britain because the US wouldn't grant her a VISA cause she's a ****-up on drugs, giving Lifetime Achievement Awards to any and everyone and half the people I've never heard of anyway... Kanye West talking for 14 minutes after he won an award and telling the sound guy that "it would be in good taste to turn the music off" after he went on and on about his mother for 5 minutes.

It was possibly the worst 3-4 hours of TV ever produced, IMHO. It was unwatchable at many points of the "show".
              agreed.....IMO there are truly so few really "good singers" and performers as opposed to a decade ago and in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Just a concoction of crap, lip snycers, wanna be gangstas and overall losers with no talent. The era of the Bruce Springsteens, Billy Joels, Stings, Genesis, Fleetwood Macs etc....they are long gone and have been replaced by horse **** rappers, "samplers" and other non-original no talent ass clowns. Thank heavens for XM radio. I don't think i have had a regular FM station on in years.
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                agreed.....IMO there are truly so few really "good singers" and performers as opposed to a decade ago and in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Just a concoction of crap, lip snycers, wanna be gangstas and overall losers with no talent. The era of the Bruce Springsteens, Billy Joels, Stings, Genesis, Fleetwood Macs etc....they are long gone and have been replaced by horse **** rappers, "samplers" and other non-original no talent ass clowns. Thank heavens for XM radio. I don't think i have had a regular FM station on in years.
                I agree with lots of that, but I also think there are some very talented younger people/bands/singers. I personally like rock/alternative rock (Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Our Lady Peace and prob my fave bands plus the stuff I grew with like Pearl Jam, Beastie Boys, and Nirvana), but I think there are talented young people out there that make good, fun music like The Killers, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Kante West, Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Paramore, etc etc.. I can't stand Alicia Keys but I recognize she's supremely talented. Timbaland hasn't made a bad song, for himself or anyone in years prob, as a producer type too.

I use to enjoy/love hip hop/rap, and I realize you grow out of that as you get older, but jesus, rap SUCKS now. It's so commercialized it's absurd. Formula - have some no talent dude mumble **** over a "sample" with a girl singing a hook or something... it's awful, and it's such a big part of pop culture/music now that it dominates everything - which IMHO is bad for the industry.

The worst thing that ever happened to music was that Jennifer Lopez/JA Rule song like 8 years ago or whatever it was...
                Last edited by CuseFan10; 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                  I agree with lots of that, but I also think there are some very talented younger people/bands/singers. I personally like rock/alternative rock (Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Our Lady Peace and prob my fave bands plus the stuff I grew with like Pearl Jam, Beastie Boys, and Nirvana), but I think there are talented young people out there that make good, fun music like The Killers, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Kante West, Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Paramore, etc etc.. I can't stand Alicia Keys but I recognize she's supremely talented. Timbaland hasn't made a bad song, for himself or anyone in years prob, as a producer type too.

I use to enjoy/love hip hop/rap, and I realize you grow out of that as you get older, but jesus, rap SUCKS now. It's so commercialized it's absurd. Formula - have some no talent dude mumble **** over a "sample" with a girl singing a hook or something... it's awful, and it's such a big part of pop culture/music now that it dominates everything - which IMHO is bad for the industry.

The worst thing that ever happened to music was that Jennifer Lopez/JA Rule song like 8 years ago or whatever it was...
                  nothing like 80's hip hop and early 90's hip hop...........:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                  NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                  MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                  CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Originally posted by dananderson32 View Post
                    nothing like some Steely Dan, Rolling Stones or some Neil Young to get the party started...........:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
                    :thumbs: ...didn't know you had it in ya dan....
                    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                      :thumbs: ...didn't know you had it in ya dan....
                      steely dan is my cousin............he taught me the technique of shoveling at a very young age :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                      NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                      MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                      CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

There's so much better music being released on independent record labels nowadays. The Grammys are a great big circle jerk for record execs, go underground :beerbang:
                        Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Working...
                        X