Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the Drinkers?

Top 10: Drinking Countries

There are countries that drink socially, and then there are countries that ritually binge drink. In contrast to France, Ireland is a binge-drinking land. Unlike Italians, Fins generally get ****faced. In this list, 10 drinking countries have been selected in accordance with a 2006 survey by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. In this study, which assessed per capita alcohol consumption around the globe, all but one of the top 15 countries were European. Throughout this list of drinking countries, statistics have been used primarily from this study, and they detail consumption of alcohol in liters per year.

Despite the inclusion of these figures, we have considered statistical information alongside cultural uses of alcohol, and we have considered the tendency to binge drink as primary evidence of a hard-drinking nation. In this final analysis of drinking countries that pound their booze in order to get blotto are on top of the heap, we start at the bottom of the pile with a few places that incorporate drinking into rituals of meeting, greeting, hosting, and eating.

#10 France
    Pure alcohol consumption: 14.2 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 35.5 liters per capita per year

When the French drink, they take their time and they drink wine. In North America, the French have a reputation for being sophisticated snobs; they are rude, we think, but they have good taste and they are wine connoisseurs. In this drinking country, wine and food go together like a baguette and chunk of brie. In other words, the French drink wine with most meals.

Despite regularly eating rich foods like pastries, cheeses and cream sauces, France has a remarkably low obesity rate, and this has everything to do with their method of consumption. Unlike North Americans who tend to shovel down processed foods as if eating were a rat race, the French eat leisurely. Perhaps less rushed to get back to their favorite TV show, they often have several courses, with wine and maybe a cigarette in between meals. And because wine and conversation play essential roles in their social ritual, getting a little tipsy on a bottle of Bordeaux actually helps digestion by slowing things down. In fact, maybe you should eat like the French.

Local Liquor
    Champagne, Bordeaux, Beaujolais, Bourgogne... the list goes on and on.

#9 Italy

Pure alcohol consumption: 8.0 liters per capita per year

Like France, Italy is both a wine-producing and a wine-drinking country. And as in France, wine is an integral part of Italian gastronomy. Italians drink wine with meals, and they have no problem inviting the children to join them in doing so. The connection between food and booze is made clear by looking at Italian groves, where one commonly sees grapes growing alongside olive trees.

According to a 2007 U.S. Department of Commerce report, Americans import more table wine and vermouth from Italy than from any other country. This statistic speaks to the diverse array of quality Italian wines. As a result of its increased exportation, Italian wine has drastically improved over the past century. For example, producers in the Chianti region now increasingly stress grape quality over quantity. Chiantis are now made entirely of red Sangiovese grapes, which is perhaps Italy’s finest grape. In the past, Chianti was more of a rosée, blending the red with a little white wine to extend the batch.

Local Liquor
    Grappa, a stiff sipping (or shooting) liqueur made from a by-product of the wine-making process.

#8 Czech Republic
    Pure alcohol consumption: 11.8 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 156.9 liters per capita per year

The Czech Republic has a beer brewing and beer guzzling heritage. Since the 1930s the Czechs have been renowned for the quality of their brewing process, which traditionally includes open fermenters, long lagering times and no pasteurization. While standards have changed somewhat as a result of post-Velvet Revolution corporate expansion, lagers and pilsners from the Czech Republic remain some of the world’s finest beer. If you visit, be sure to do your drinking at brewpubs. One that especially deserves a visit is U Fleku, a legendary beer hall in Prague that has been around since the 15th century. It provides stunning examples of traditional Czech food, architecture and beer.

Local Liquor
    Any Pilsner or Lager that strikes your fancy.

#7 Germany
    Pure alcohol consumption: 10.5 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 116.8 liters per capita per year

It is remarkable but true that in Germany beer costs roughly the same as water. Germany is also a relatively liberal place, with booze being sold in grocery stores and gas stations and at newspaper stands. Drinking in public is also legal (criteria that definitely puts Germany on our top drinking countries list), so if you visit don’t be afraid to crack one open in a park or on public transit. Picnics and barbecues are also very common in large parks in most major cities, and the food is always washed down with beer. Then there is Oktoberfest. Held in Munich every October, this 16-day Bavarian beer festival celebrates the fall harvest with sausages, sauerkraut, Bavarian folklore, and oceans of beer.

Local Liquor
    Wheat beer. A few brands include: Weizen, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, and Leipziger Gose.

#6 Denmark
    Pure alcohol consumption: 11.5 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 89.9 liters per capita per year

96% of 15-year-old Danes consider themselves drinkers, making Denmark a definite must in our list of top 10 drinking countries. This frightening statistic suggests that, like many northern European countries, Denmark has a fairly relaxed attitude vis-à-vis booze. They boast the lowest prices in Scandinavia, a fact that brings Swedes over by the boatload. Denmark also has a plethora of watering hole options. There are vinstues, which are old and traditional wine rooms. There are vaertshus, which tend to be seedy, grimy, dimly-lit, and smoke-filled dens. There are bodegas, which are French-style cafés, and kaffebars, where you can eat greasy food and drink by the bottle.

Local Liquor
    Lager, Tuborg and Carlsberg are the ubiquitous brands.

#5 Australia
    Pure alcohol consumption: 9.8 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 109.9 liters per capita per year

During the country's convict era, when Western Australia was used as a penal colony for the British Empire, rum was used as a currency. As a result, the colony’s residents were almost always inebriated and drinking was a natural social activity. It is perhaps for this reason that in Australia today it is considered terrible form to drink alone, and so Aussies are often on the lookout for a drinking buddy (no wonder they’re one of our top 10 drinking countries).

Until the 1970s, Australia’s per capita consumption rivaled Ireland and Germany, but Australia has been on the decline ever since. Anyone who has done some traveling in Europe or Australia knows that Aussies like to get liquored, and that the act of “shouting“ -- the pub ritual of buying a round -- remains a vital part of pub life throughout the land of Oz, making Australia one of our top 10 drinking countries.

Local Liquor
    The Shiraz grape has found a home in Australian vineyards, and Shiraz wines are full of descriptions men love: bold, robust, rich.

#4 Russia

Pure alcohol consumption: 9.29 liters per capita per year

Vodka is a Russian word, and we all know where it leads. If you want to get wasted, drinking vodka like a Russian will take you to the promised land of blackouts and projectile vomiting. If you go to Russia, don’t count on fancy cocktails. Martinis were either born in Europe or the U.S., but they certainly aren’t from Russia, which is why it's one of our authentic drinking countries. Russian vodka drinkers shoot their vodka straight up, although some drink a little beer in between vodka shots. True connoisseurs may frown upon the idea of mixing vodka and beer in the stomach, but there is a Russian proverb that states, “Vodka without beer is your money wasted.”

Local Liquor
    Vodka, served cool and in a small wine glass known as a vodka glass.

#3 England

Pure alcohol consumption: 10.4 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 99.0 liters per capita per year

When the English drink, they tend to go overboard. They drink bitters, milds, ales, stouts, porters, or the manly combo “a nip and a half” (a whisky and a half-pint). England also has a new 24-hour drinking law (to fall in line with the rest of the EU) that facilitates all-day consumption (not that the English weren’t acquitting themselves rather well before the new legislation). As England is the land of notorious binge drinkers, alcohol-related casualties have been rising steadily over the past 10 years, and liver cirrhosis has been the main culprit. Previously, many English pubs closed at 11 p.m., which explained the country’s former moderate consumption figures. Now alcoholics across the land will have all day with the bottle.

Local Liquor
    The warm pint. The English like to drink beer in pubs at cellar temperature out of pint glasses. They specialize in bitters and ales more so than lagers.

#2 Finland

Pure alcohol consumption: 9.9 liters per capita per year

The Finnish winter is grim by any standard. Living in temperatures that often hover around -30° (Celsius, mind you) and nearly 24 hours of darkness, wouldn’t you drink your face off? In the country that takes the second slot on our list of drinking countries, people drink to get drunk while staving off the cold. A 2005 study of Nordic countries revealed that drinking is Finland’s top killer. According to the report, “alcohol killed more people aged 15 to 64 than cardiovascular disease or cancer.” So deep is the tradition of alcoholism that during a period of prohibition, Helsinki sailor and smuggler Algoth Niska (1888-1954) became a folk hero known as the “King of Smugglers.” His heroic feat, of course, was helping prohibition fall flat on its face.

Local Liquor
    Vodka and Guinness. As in Russia, a subarctic climate has made Finland a vodka-drinking land. Finland also has a lot of Irish pubs, so a pint of Guinness is never too far away.

#1 Ireland

Pure alcohol consumption: 14.2 liters per capita per year
    Beer consumption: 131.1 liters per capita per year

In Ireland, binge drinking is the norm. And if you’ve ever been to a Saint Paddy’s Day parade, you’ll never doubt an Irish man’s ability to drink. According to a London Press Associated study, 48% of Irish men binge drink at least once a week, compared to 40% in England and 9% in France.

Over the years, beer has been marketed as an essential component of Irish life, which it most certainly is. Ireland is famous for its Guinness, the drunken slogan “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” and the Irish green that people wear on Saint Paddy’s Day. For better or worse, this is Ireland in the popular imagination: a Celtic land of drunken excess. And that’s why this Ireland is our No. 1 drinking country.

Local Liquor
    Guinness or Harp lager.

:beer2:

Comment

I drink more beer per month, than the Irish drink per capita per year, and the U.S. is not in the top 10? I need some assistance here! :beerbang:

Comment

Holy **** I'm a German/Irish mix pup and I ain't even nearing their quotas.....LMFAO:beer2:
        Guess I'm going to have to start drinking at work....:thumbs:
        Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Doing my part....

HD I'm doing my part!! I can put any of those countries under the table....Get that 30 pack of Strohs out!!!:beer2:
          From one beer lover to another! Strohs Beer!

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

Comment

I knew my pal from Tiffin could represent!:beerbang:
            Hey Shorts, my daughter will be transitioning to the Kent Campus this fall as well.....a great excuse for the dad's to visit, go to Ray's and a game!:thumbs:
            Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Originally posted by joepa66 View Post
              Holy **** I'm a German/Irish mix pup and I ain't even nearing their quotas.....LMFAO:beer2:
              Guess I'm going to have to start drinking at work....:thumbs:
              Beer consumption: 131.1 liters per capita per year
              That's only 15.5 cases (24 pack)

Holy ****, I'm a German married to an Irish woman. Every Saturday we get 5 cases for me, and 2 cases for her!

:drunk:

Comment

Originally posted by shorts View Post
                HD I'm doing my part!! I can put any of those countries under the table....Get that 30 pack of Strohs out!!!

:beerbang: :cheers: :guzzle: :gulp: :victory:

Comment

me and underdog drink together all the time :hide: :hide:
                  ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                  NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                  MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                  CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Originally posted by dananderson32 View Post
                    me and underdog drink together all the time :hide: :hide:
                    No casual drinkers or "sippers"! This country needs more hardcore drinkers!
                    It's when you finish your beer, & the can/bottle is still cold! :drunk:

Comment

:beer2:

On my 2nd 22 oz of Great Divide Yeti imperial stout right now.... 9.5%

433yeti.jpg

Great Mind Drink Alike :booz:
                      Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

:puke: Stop drinkin' dat college dorm party: "lets get drunk, get naked, and **** ****" beer!

Nothin' like a bud! (or 2 or 3, and still good after 6 or 12, still smooth after 18 or 24):guzzle:

Comment

definitely no dorm beer HD! Dark beer is where it's at! Double the alc.% & more flavor. I'm no snob though, Bud's fine... just have to drink way more of them :cheery:
                          Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Last time I drank a dark beer, I nearly sharted! :hide:

Comment

Working...
                            X