Luck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luck?

I wanted everyone's opinion on whether luck is part of gambling. Whether you believe it or not. I really started to think about this situation over the last two days when I had two painful losses that I really couldn't comprehend. Let me throw it out there and let me here what your opinions are.

1. Deportivo Saprissa vs. DC United - This was the CONCACAF Champions League matchup. In the first meeting Deportivo Saprissa easily handled DC United a 2-0 win in Washington. DC United has been marred with injuries and amidst a tough skid losing multiple games in a row. For this game DC United decided to send there reserve squad to Costa Rica rather then risking there top players. Deportivo was missing 5 players who were activated to the Costa Rican national team for World Cup qualifying but for the most part there team was intact and they were playing in front of there home crowd of 30,000+. DC United jumped out to a 1-0 lead and held Deportivo at bay for almost the entire game. Deportivo missed a first half penalty shot to tie it up but were unable to cash. Deportivo managed to tie the game up in the 80th minute and then just 5 minutes later took the lead 2-1 with there 2nd goal. In the final minute of the game DC United equalized the game. A -225 heavy fave down the drain due to a last minute goal.

2. Victor Troicki vs. Mischa Zverev - QF matchup here in Moscow, Russia on an indoor hardcourt. In the first set Victor was up a break leading 3-2 and serving only to get broken back to have the match even at 3-3...Then Misha held and broke Victor again now to lead 5-3...The first set ended 6-4 for Mischa Zverev. The report was Mischa had played very well compared to Victor. The 2nd set was a bit of a different story. Although many people felt Mischa had played better Victor managed to take the 2nd set 6-3. The 3rd set is where I think just bad luck comes into play. Riding the wave of winning the 2nd set Victor Troicki came out like a madman and lead 4-1, and 30*-0 serving in the 6th game when Mischa Zverev fell and banged up his hand and arm. Mischa needed to receive medical attention for cuts he had suffered. Victor went on to win the 6th game easily and lead 5-1. Victor was now just 1 game away from winning the match. Out of nowhere Zverev wins the 7th game to love then in turn breaks Victor to love and for anyone who knows anything about tennis to break someone on a fast hard indoor court is extremely hard. The scoreline now read 5-3 Victor with Mischa now serving. At this point I'm telling myself he one more service game to close this match out and he should do it. Mischa again wins another fairly easy game to make the scoreline 5-4. Victor is now serving for the match again and what do you think happens...He blows it and gets broken again. Now it's 5-5 and anyone's matchup. At this point I pretty much new it was over as Mischa easily won his service game to take a 6-5 lead and then of course he broke Victor to win the match 7-5. Mischa won 6 games in a row in the 3rd set breaking Victor 3 times. I was stunned like I've never been before after losing a bet when this happened.

Let me know your feelings on whether luck is involved in betting.

Great question and I think it goes more to life than just gambling. Personally I think luck or good fortune can come in various different packages sometimes by chance, opportunity, or ones own creation. In short I believe it is involved good and or bad. :beer2:I am also one superstiscous Mofo when it comes to gamling...hence why I hate the word L*ck...though only a word I think it provides for some bad juju as the the gamling gods will remind you that nothing is certain.
    Last edited by BoKnows; 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I certainly think luck plays a role in gambling of any kind, and even as Bo said, in life. I'm not really sure luck played a role in the soccer situation though. Seems you were just on the wrong side of that one because Deportivo didn't show up. I'm sure you capped it correctly, but things don't always go as planned as we all know. Luck is certainly a factor IMHO.

Comment

Wow....Deep Thoughts by Coreyshucky. Interesting topic.

I don't know if any here read or listen to books by James Lee Burke. He is a fiction writer that has done a series of detective novels with the main character being Dave Robicheaux...the books take place in New Orleans or Iberria Parrish down in Louisiana. Robicheaux is a recovering alcoholic. Anyhoo, I was listening to one of those books a couple months ago and Burke had an interesting take on gambling.

In essence, Burke said that for many people, gambling is a means for them to verify that the world is against them. People forget that unbelievable or "lucky" cover long before they forget that unbelievably horrible loss. Remembering the losses over the wins allows people to think that the world or God or whatever is simply against them and that it is something that is well beyond their control. The hardcore gambling addicts who constantly lose their money are further validated by their losing that they have no luck, that the world is against them and that they are failures and their failures are caused by powers well beyond their control.

Interesting premise and I'm sure its one that is accurate for many. I'm not sure that luck is involved....for many, they look back and remember all the bad beats, but their subconcious won't allow them to remember the good ones. It likely evens out....unfortunately, if you bet $50 and got some good luck, but had bad luck on the $100 bet, you are prone to only remember the bad luck. It probably evens out, which, in the long run, means there probably is no good luck or bad luck in gambling....but our psyche sure thinks there is.
        "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post

Interesting premise and I'm sure its one that is accurate for many. I'm not sure that luck is involved....for many, they look back and remember all the bad beats, but their subconcious won't allow them to remember the good ones. It likely evens out....unfortunately, if you bet $50 and got some good luck, but had bad luck on the $100 bet, you are prone to only remember the bad luck. It probably evens out, which, in the long run, means there probably is no good luck or bad luck in gambling....but our psyche sure thinks there is.
          I definitely agree with what you said. I definitely remember all the last second and come from behind wins as well. I felt it was an interesting topic to bring up plus I was bored this morning with my network being down...hahaah!

Comment

:thumbs:
            I believe luck is involved in betting. I've been on both sides of luck. If you look at the play-by-play of ALL the games you bet on, with results close to the ATS line(or straight up ML bet sports) you will find it happening on both sides.

Luck: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another.

:beer2:

Comment

In essence, Burke said that for many people, gambling is a means for them to verify that the world is against them. People forget that unbelievable or "lucky" cover long before they forget that unbelievably horrible loss. Remembering the losses over the wins allows people to think that the world or God or whatever is simply against them and that it is something that is well beyond their control. The hardcore gambling addicts who constantly lose their money are further validated by their losing that they have no luck, that the world is against them and that they are failures and their failures are caused by powers well beyond their control.
              Very very interesting take. I don't necessarily believe in luck, but I do believe in karma (and UFOs).
              If a guy doesn't have any gamble in him, he ain't worth a crap - Evel Knievel
              What's done in the dark will be brought to the light -Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by NevadaJay View Post
                Very very interesting take. I don't necessarily believe in luck, but I do believe in karma (and UFOs).
                I believe in Unicorns and Leprechauns
                I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

and above all else i believe in fading Clown99
                  I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                    and above all else i believe in fading Clown99
                    Don't forget QuickNick FF!

Comment

Working...
                    X