End Of Online Gambling In Minnesota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Of Online Gambling In Minnesota

Minnesota notifies telecoms to prohibit access between residents and gambling sites |* Park Rapids Enterprise *| Park Rapids, Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division (AGED) today announced that it has served written notice to 11 national and regional telephone and Internet service providers (ISPs) instructing them to prohibit access of all Minnesota-based computers to nearly 200 online gambling websites. Online gambling is illegal in all U.S. states.

Written notice was served to AT&T Internet Services, San Antonio; Charter Communications, St. Louis; Comcast Cable, Moorestown, N.J.; Direct TV, Los Angeles; Dish Network, Englewood., Colo.; Embarq and Sprint/Nextel, both of Overland Park, Kan.; Frontier Communications, Stamford, Conn.; Qwest, Denver; Verizon Wireless, Bedminster, N.J.; and Wildblue Communications, Greenwood Village, Colo.

“We are putting site operators and Minnesota online gamblers on notice and in advance,” says John Willems, director of AGED. “Disruption of these sites’ cash flow will negatively impact their business models. State residents with online escrow accounts should be aware that access to their accounts may be jeopardized and their funds in peril.”

Believed the first attempt by a state to employ this federal statute to restrict access to online gambling sites, the letters cites U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1084, (d); notices were delivered Mon., April 27. Congress enacted the statute in 1961 in recognition of the need for states to control illegal gambling activities and granted authority for use of the statue to state law enforcement agencies.

Response from the notified ISPs is expected within two to three weeks, at which time issues of non-compliance will be referred to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Acknowledging the effort as an initial sample, Willems anticipates the program expanding to address thousands of sites, depending on compliance. He notes that the required technology to restrict geographic access to particular sites is a relatively straightforward procedure on the part of service providers.

In the written notices, AGED also provided the sites’ telephone numbers and requested access to those numbers by Minnesotans to be prohibited. For more than two decades, telecoms have shut down telephone numbers at the request of law enforcement agencies when believed to be involved in illegal activities, such as sports book-making telephone numbers.

“In Minnesota, and for Minnesotans, the primary issues are legality, state self-governance and accountability,” says Willems. “In broader context, the long-running debate on online gambling continues to raise significant issues, including absence of policy and regulation, individual rights, societal impact, international fair-trade practices, and funding for criminal and terrorist organizations.”
    Looks like the good ol' days are coming to an end.
    2010 NFL Football

1-0 +$1,000

2010 NCAA Football

1-0 +$1,500

Soccer

68-16 +$18,429.12

2010 WORLD CUP

25-10 +$17,964.62

i quite frankly support this move. it's high time something as corrosive and detrimental to our society is cleaned up at once. illegals crossing our borders in huge throngs bringing in things like the swine flu.......drugs all over our streets.....country mired in a great depression part 2.....1200 auto dealers closing in the next year by way of GM.....that crap is all back burner stuff to the real problems in society like internet gambling. and i for one applaud our governments around the country both local and national that take on such immense challenges such as internet gambling.

hats off to Minnesota for taking care of one our most pressing issues in April of 2009. :beerbang:
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by xHeroOfTheDayx View Post

Looks like the good ol' days are coming to an end.
      with all due respect, thats what they said when the last drop of beer was sold before Prohibition was enacted.

yet people still were able to somehow get their alcohol fix.

We'll be alright :thumbs: I can't guaranteed that unfortunately :bang: but the more the grip tightens, the more crap spill out...

sucks that the Minnesotan Government is so actively douchebaggy about this.

LOL w/ FF

seriously about time they address this major plague upon society that is gambling and forget we're all about to die from frog flu and a plethora of available jobs for all Americans that we don't know what to do with :puke:
      :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
      -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post

sucks that the Minnesotan Government is so actively douchebaggy about this.
        then again, my state governor thinks its 1809 and that we should secede from the Union and teabag our way to freedom :bang:

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
          i quite frankly support this move. it's high time something as corrosive and detrimental to our society is cleaned up at once. illegals crossing our borders in huge throngs bringing in things like the swine flu.......drugs all over our streets.....country mired in a great depression part 2.....1200 auto dealers closing in the next year by way of GM.....that crap is all back burner stuff to the real problems in society like internet gambling. and i for one applaud our governments around the country both local and national that take on such immense challenges such as internet gambling.

hats off to Minnesota for taking care of one our most pressing issues in April of 2009. :beerbang:

That's how they roll now@1600 Pennsylvania Ave :puke:

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
            how is what Minnesota did reflective of the White House Administration?

is the White House the cause of the swine flu?

is the illegal immigration problem a new thing of 2009? illegal immigration did not exist BEFORE this administration's inauguration?

the world economy crashed in mid January 2009 spontaneously because of one man's rise to power?

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

lol...seriously Q. :ohman: Here we go again...what a tool...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                lol...seriously Q. :ohman: Here we go again...what a tool...
                lol I know I am a tool. I can't argue that. I had a butt load of crap to do yesterday and I can't even get off the phone with my mom because I just had to argue with her over nonsensical issues and crap that has no bearing on my immediate predicaments lol

eeesh :beer2:

but it makes for a waaaay less boring world we live in
                Last edited by Q-Unit; 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM.

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

You're no tool Q. :thumbs: Say hi to your mom. :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                    Say hi to your mom. :thumbs:
                    :hide:...wow could i run with that one if i wanted to....:hide:
                    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                      :hide:...wow could i run with that one if i wanted to....:hide:
                      :nono: :huddle:

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
                        how is what Minnesota did reflective of the White House Administration?

is the White House the cause of the swine flu?

is the illegal immigration problem a new thing of 2009? illegal immigration did not exist BEFORE this administration's inauguration?

the world economy crashed in mid January 2009 spontaneously because of one man's rise to power?
                        :welcome:

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

Why can't we be friends ..........why can't we be friends ........:hide: :hide:
                            ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                            NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                            MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                            CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

Working...
                            X