No announcement yet.

Stock Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You invest extremely conservative for being a sports gambler. Just saying, for someone who doesnt mind playing all-or-none bets, stocks should be safe to you. Nothing wrong with conservative investments, at all. In the long run, you win no matter
    I'm not risk averse at all. In fact 65% of my retirement nest egg is in the stock market as a whole. Being well diversified is not the same thing as being conservative.
    Nobody spins the floater better than Phil Rivers. Nobody.

Comment

I meant you don't play individual stocks.
      That's the impression I get.

Comment

On the contrary, believe it or not. I have what I like to call my speculation account which is a very small percentage of my portfolio where I'll take a gamble on individual stocks. It's small enough where if I lose every dime in that account I won't lose much sleep, albeit can't say I wouldn't be pissed. Oddly enough I only have one holding now, CSCO, that I bought nearly a year ago and it's been down since the day I put my trade in. That's my luck. It's off 2.5% currently from where I bought, but at least I've been raking a small dividend.

:thumbs:
        Last edited by PhilRivers; 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Ya but your Index easily covered cisco's drop today. Sometimes it's nice to get bailed out for playing a fund.

My only fund (TEDIX) as well as my Kodak gamble covered my triple short loss, plus some.

If the market doesn't go down as I expect it to, then I'm screwed.
          Not only do I lose on my short, but I am sitting on cash and will have to buy back shares higher than I exited at.

Right now I'm still up for January just by making some big shifts in my portfolio, but anymore "good news" from the market it's going to drop me down to even or red. Sitting at around +1.5% for the year.

Comment

EK up another 30% this morning? Damn. I obviously sold way too quick, but penny stocks are too risky to stay in.

Just grabbed some INTC (Intel). Solid dividends. Going long.

Comment

Grabbed S at 2.35
              Grabbed STX at 18.81

As of today, no joke, my entire portfolio YTD is pretty much dead even.
              It's up .00015%

Not good considering its been bullish for almost 2 weeks now.
              It's TZA that's dragging me down. It's down 9% since my inception. If it wasn't for that, well, I'd be up 9% in 2 weeks. Blah...

Still holding it though. Waiting for this fabricated bull spurt to end.

Comment

Been taking big risks, and losing.
                Then taking bigger risks to cover my ass.

Down 1% YTD, which really isn't bad considering the market is sky rocketing while I'm trying to short the hell out of it.

This damn market just won't go down.
                Bulls are strong right now. 3

Pulling back.

Comment

Portfolio is up 3.3% YTD with several call/put options pending.

Get ready for the pullback...it's coming.

Watch the VIX and get ready to short the hell out of everything.

Comment

S&P total return index up 7.72% YTD. The total return index includes the dividends earned.

There's no way to know which direction the market is going. Statistically speaking however, the market goes up more than it goes down. In the wise words of the great JP Morgan when asked about what the market would do he would say, "It will fluctuate."

On a side note, my individual holdings of CSCO stock is finally in the black (up 5.5%) and I've held for exactly 1 year to the date, so now I'm not subject to short-term capital gains tax and will only be taxed long-term capital gains tax. Today I save 13% on my gains from the tax benefits from moving from short to long term captial gains! Wahoo!

:thumbs:
                    Last edited by PhilRivers; 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Getcha some "HOOK".

Some of the best beer I've ever tasted (Widmer Hefeweizen)

It's around 6.50/share.

Comment

Ya CSCO showed some pop. It's been downgraded and analysts are saying to go with Juniper. Cisco is always very conservative with their forecasts. It leaves a good impression and builds a good trust with its shareholders.

Grabbed another .7% today.

It's all about making money when the market goes up and making money when the market does down

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          Getcha some "HOOK".

Some of the best beer I've ever tasted (Widmer Hefeweizen)

It's around 6.50/share.
                          The only food/beverage I'll play right now is Diamond Foods.

I grabbed DMND after hours when it dropped 40+ percent from it's audit.
                          Grabbed it at 20.98, sold it at 23 the next day.

Grabbed $30 Sept calls, popped 20% today.

Comment

What do you guys think about yum brands? I was watching Mad Money and their talking head (CEO) is either really sharp or one hell of a con man because by the end of the interview he had me convinced that they're expanding globally and are gonna be a great long term play. Would love to hear your thoughts!
                            Delivering previews and picks to your computer 365/days a year!

Comment

stock markets that is pure gambling but since this is a gambling related forum it would be nice to have this section here so we don't have to go somewhere else.
                              f1-bettings

Comment

Up 9.4% YTD
                                Not including dividends.

In regards of YUM brands, I would roll with DMND options instead if you going to place on a food company. DMND is either going to pop or get another nice hair cut once they release revised earnings.

Don't take Cramer too seriously. The guy is great conceptually, but he is very limited to what he can and cannot suggest. Also, what's true today isn't true tomorrow. He's brilliant. Just need to pick and choose and watch Mad Money for the over all concept, not actual picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X