• Show
Clear All

• Attn: All Baseball Fanatics...

Is this a legal pitch?

New Japanese Baseball Pitch*Video

:nuts:
    Rowdy Rowdy Red!!!

Pretty cool!

I'm glad you posted that because it brought back a memory I may have never remembered.

Way back when, in the late eighties I think it was, Pascual Perez was a pitcher for the Montreal Expos and he would every so often throw what he called the ephus pitch which was a 15 mile an hour lollipop that was basically take your best shot at it.

Result: Glenn Davis hit it about 400 feet to left field. I dont recall seeing him throw more than about 1 more in his career after that lol.

Anybody else remember that?

Comment

woulda been more impressive, if it was actually a strike! :nuts:
      fooled the batter, as he was thinking no way, is this gonna be a strike. Also fooled the ump for calling it a strike..:boog: cool though:beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        Pretty cool!

I'm glad you posted that because it brought back a memory I may have never remembered.

Way back when, in the late eighties I think it was, Pascual Perez was a pitcher for the Montreal Expos and he would every so often throw what he called the ephus pitch which was a 15 mile an hour lollipop that was basically take your best shot at it.

Result: Glenn Davis hit it about 400 feet to left field. I dont recall seeing him throw more than about 1 more in his career after that lol.

I was too young to know anything about sport. I was probably like 4 or 5 yrs old at that time, LOL.
        Rowdy Rowdy Red!!!

Comment

Kev- Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez throws a bit of an ephus style curve. He gets it down to about 55-58mph and is usually good for at least one a game (usually to one of the better hitters on either team). The crowd loves it and he throws it for a strike probably about half the time. The other day he struck out Eric Chavez wit it (I think it was Chavez).

I remember Pascual Perez being famous for throwing a lot of junk, but I'm a little too young to remember the exact details. You could definitely be correct, though I doubt he dialed it down to 15mph, haha. It's hard to throw anything that slow.

Comment

Legal or not the umpire blew it.....BALL, outside!:sm:
            Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              Pretty cool!

Kevin, i remember the exact pitch your talking about. it was a long time ago but if memory serves me correctly Davis stepped into the pitch, stopped, stepped back, then restepped into the pitch again and crushed the ever living **** out of it.
              the one and only time i have seen a hitter double clutch and get a hit much less a home run!!

Comment

A-Rod got eephus'd:

YouTube - clenya tadano eephus

Comment

Dave LaRoche was the king of the ephus pitch......He threw it quite often and was effective with the pitch. That's some funny stuff. I think I'm going to try that pitch soon.........ya right.....lol.
                  2008.....updated 1/11/9....7:00pm....pacific

NFL 14-7-1.................+28.5

NBA 4-9....................-7.45

NCAAF 7-14..................-13.9

Comment

Working...
                  X