Dead Monday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Monday

I chomping at the bits for football season. Baseball has never been too good to me, so I don't bet it that often.

I guess if I needed a fix, I could always play arena football--nah.

Originally posted by redhog55 View Post
    I chomping at the bits for football season. Baseball has never been too good to me, so I don't bet it that often.

I guess if I needed a fix, I could always play arena football--nah.
    I chomping at the bits :dunno:

lol

Comment

Let me say it a different way.

I'm bored!!! I cannot wait for football season, which is my favorite time of year. I guess I'm showing my age with my choice of phrases.

Comment

Originally posted by redhog55 View Post
        Let me say it a different way.

I'm bored!!! I cannot wait for football season, which is my favorite time of year. I guess I'm showing my age with my choice of phrases.
        Haha, I think he means you grammatically butchered the phrase, not that it "shows your age". It shows nothing about your age because "i chomping at the bits" isn't even English.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
          Haha, I think he means you grammatically butchered the phrase, not that it "shows your age". It shows nothing about your age because "i chomping at the bits" isn't even English.

must be their own (arky) language... :nuts:

"Whach you do last nigh?"
          "Drunk myssef some beeruh"

"Whach you doin' today?"
          "Imma goin' to Wal-Marts"

:drunk:
          Last edited by homedawg; 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Obviously I was correct about it being a dead Monday. You a-holes have nothing better to do than to give a "good ol' boy from Arkansas a hard time.

champ at the bit » chomp at the bit
            Classification: English – nearly mainstream

Spotted in the wild:

Electronics makers chomping at the bit. (Taipei Times, Mar 16, 2004)

Well, regarding one congregation in the previously referenced sextet, the previously referenced Grace Church in Orange Park, a casual visitor sitting in on a parish meeting would get the impression they are chomping at the bit to leave the Episcopal Church USA. (soc.motss, Aug 20, 2005)

“But I wouldn’t say [they’re frustrated], I think our players are just chomping at the bit to go.” (ABC.au Sport, August 19, 2005)

“I personally have never had the chance to see Fallen Angels on anything larger than a 27-inch television,” Marchetti told The Reeler. “So I’m kind of chomping at the bit for that one.” (The Reeler, NYC, Aug 19, 2005)

The Urbana City Council apparently isn’t chomping at the bit to consider a resolution advising the University of Illinois to retire Chief Illiniwek. (The News-Gazette, August 18, 2005)

Treated at some length in my Language Log piece of 28 March 2005, “Chomping at the Font”. The verb “champ” was specialized in the idiom “champ at the bit” ‘be restive’, while “chomp” continued to be used in its munching sense. Then the much more frequent and less specialized “chomp”, which still makes sense in the context, replaced “champ” more and more.

Comment

lol, R'hog, there is no reason to try and "corrupt", every person in the world, with dat "arkansas" verbage... I understand whatcha typin'... :spin:

Comment

Champing at the bit
                If someone is eager or anxious to do something, they are said to be champing at the bit,
                (not chomping at the bit. nor chomping on the bit).

CHAMPING: Repetitious, strong opening and closing action of the mouth which
                produces sounds when the teeth hit together. Champing in swine may be a
                threat signal, but also is performed by boars during courtship and
                mating. Definition from Hurnik et al., 1995.

- The Encyclopedia of Farm Animal Behavior

champ
                v. tr. - To bite or chew upon noisily.
                v. intr. - To work the jaws and teeth vigorously.
                Idiom: - champ at the bit
                To show impatience at being held back or delayed.

:beer2:

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post

:laughing:
                  Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

LOL...I like how he gave examples of other people making the same mistake. Just because it was printed doesn't make it correct...it just means other people were quoted making the same error.

And even if "chomping" was correct (which it isn't)... wtf is "i chomping at the bits" ? lol. I found the actual start to the sentence more amusing then the "chomp".

Anyway...who cares, I just thought it was funny when I read it...I shouldn't have mentioned anything! Didn't think it would be a big deal...

And...I can't wait for football, either hog! Cheers :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                      LOL...I like how he gave examples of other people making the same mistake. Just because it was printed doesn't make it correct...it just means other people were quoted making the same error.

And even if "chomping" was correct (which it isn't)... wtf is "i chomping at the bits" ? lol. I found the actual start to the sentence more amusing then the "chomp".

Anyway...who cares, I just thought it was funny when I read it...I shouldn't have mentioned anything! Didn't think it would be a big deal...

And...I can't wait for football, either hog! Cheers :beerbang:
                      Haha JML, I was thinking the exact same thing. I wasn't challenging whether or not "chomping at the bit" is a legit phrase (sportscasters use it enough to make us all become ill), but was more laughing because of the illiterate nature of how redhog typed it.

Anyway, funny little thread here so it's all good!

Comment

Let's all jump in a poker tournament and kill the evening. There sure as hell isn't any pro sports on tonite. Ah, what the hell, "Honey, let's spend some time together tonite....."

:showtits: :showtits2: :showtits:

Comment

Working...
                        X